Following
Aug 17, 2020
Name
Mick Payton
Country
United Kingdom
City/State
Presteigne
Has anyone else found that with the A7R4 in the studio using flash, there's a significant delay in the shutter when using AFC and eye AF with tracking? The same setup in ambient light has no delay?

Using AFS Single point, no eye AF, in the studio with flash, there is no delay.

Last edited:

garuda

Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Sep 14, 2020
Name
Mike
City/State
Illinois
A novice's wild guess would be - if using a high-end Sony flash, it will take a few extra milliseconds delay factoring in AFC and flash TTL calculations for proper exposure combined before shutter response.

seuadr

Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Sep 2, 2020
Name
Jared
Country
United States
City/State
Eaton Rapids, Michigan
A novice's wild guess would be - if using a high-end Sony flash, it will take a few extra milliseconds delay factoring in AFC and flash TTL calculations for proper exposure combined before shutter response.
that seems like a pretty solid novice guess. :D

MickPayton

Novice Member
Original poster
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Aug 17, 2020
Name
Mick Payton
Country
United Kingdom
City/State
Presteigne
I'm not really sure why anyone would use a Sony flash and TTL in the studio, but I guess should have made it clearer, this was using Elinchrom flash in the studio. Problem solved now with further experimentation, the combination of eye AF on the shutter button and EVF off produces this odd delay effect - for me anyway - so, allocating eye AF to the AE button has fixed it, and to be honest I prefer it set up like this now I've used it for a while.

seuadr

Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Sep 2, 2020
Name
Jared
Country
United States
City/State
Eaton Rapids, Michigan
that is weird. Wonder why...

thanks for closing the loop!

Hjones

Followers
Following
Feb 21, 2021
Name
Helen Jones
I've recently switched to the Sony A7R IV from Fuji, so am still getting used to it. I'm finding autofocus difficult in studio. I use an Elinchrom D Lite One and octabox, 24-70mm GM lens. The pic below is taken at f7 200/s ISO 100.

I'm also struggling to see how to focus in a dark set up. I have the modelling light on, but looking through the viewfinder, I can't see a thing unless I depress the shutter halfway. What am I doing wrong? I can't see how to see! Any help greatly appreciated. Thanks.
KJ_guitar.jpg

MickPayton

Novice Member
Original poster
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Aug 17, 2020
Name
Mick Payton
Country
United Kingdom
City/State
Presteigne
I've recently switched to the Sony A7R IV from Fuji, so am still getting used to it. I'm finding autofocus difficult in studio. I use an Elinchrom D Lite One and octabox, 24-70mm GM lens. The pic below is taken at f7 200/s ISO 100.

I'm also struggling to see how to focus in a dark set up. I have the modelling light on, but looking through the viewfinder, I can't see a thing unless I depress the shutter halfway. What am I doing wrong? I can't see how to see! Any help greatly appreciated. Thanks.
View attachment 7186
Hiya, you will need to turn the live view evf off in the studio. What focussing mode are you using? For most people shots I use eye AF with AFC, if this is not suitable I'll use single point AFS. I have shutter button focussing turned off, focussing set to AF button and eye AF set to AEL button, this gives me a lot of flexibility with focussing as I can switch from one to the other just by moving my thumb. Autofocus in the studio is very fast when it's set right.

Reactions: Hjones

Hjones

Followers
Following
Feb 21, 2021
Name
Helen Jones
Great, thanks for the advice. Yep I'm using eye AF with AFC. Will try the different use of back buttons.

Pro Membership Upgrade

• If you'd like to support this community you can easily do so by becoming a Pro Member and unlocking the following benefits:

✓ No Adverts in the Forums
    ✓ Pro Member Competitions
    ✓ Sell Items in the Marketplace
    ✓ Unlimited Gallery Uploads
    ✓ Higher Resolution Gallery Uploads
    ✓ Forum Profile Signature
    ✓ Custom Profile Cover Photo
    ✓ Advertise Your Photography Workshops

Pro Member Upgrade

Shopping Links

You can also support this site by purchasing gear through the following affiliate links:
Although I would recommend supporting your local camera store if you have one.

User Menu

alpha shooters text logo

© 2020 Alpha Shooters. All Rights Reserved.
Disclaimer: Alpha Shooters is an independently run website and is not affiliated with Sony.com
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.