Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Followers
Following
Name
Mike
City/State
Illinois
I have found that aftermarket companies are making a foot plate for the Sony 200-600G. Apparently it has become too uncomfortable or inconvenient to use the standard Sony foot that comes with the lens. Personally I use several Manfrotto foot plates and tripod receivers to universally fit all my cams, tripods, monopods, gimbals, etc. However, with the Manfrotto foot plate with sharp edges that cut into your hand and fingers with prolonged use, I decided to come up with a fix.

Below are pics of my design using super high-tech aircraft-quality materials. Sadly, the cost is nearly prohibitive, so most photographers will be unable to afford adopting it. But I can attest to the fact it is comfortable, easy to slide onto 200-600G having a foot plate attached to it. The hand grip comes off easily in order to place lens on your tripod. I'm currently working on a cheaper design to make it more affordable to users. :giggle:

Attachments

• 200-600 Hand Grip-1.jpg
    200-600 Hand Grip-1.jpg
    287.7 KB · Views: 117
  • 200-600 Hand Grip-2.jpg
    200-600 Hand Grip-2.jpg
    234.2 KB · Views: 121
You mean cost-prohibitive only to us full-time freelancers, right?
;):ROFLMAO:

Great idea! Might even be-able to stretch to two for that price! :) The Sony foot on the 200-600 is a joke really. It's far too small and uncomfortable to hold the lens securely. I replaced mine with the Kirk LP-68 which is larger, has rounded edges so it's comfortable to hold and it also has the dovetail design so it's compatible with arca mounts and also the QD quick disconnect system. Your option definitely leaves a little more in the piggy bank though!

That's a high quality piece of engineering right there. Like a condom for your lens foot :D

Thanks Tim, on a more serious note, this tubing might be useful for anyone to try on whatever qwik-rel plate they use for their particular tripod head.

With my long-version of Manfrotto plate, it moves the reach forward enough to easily reach the zoom ring. And tubing rounds the corners even more (for any style plate), making it more comfortable to hand for prolonged periods.

And better yet it's super easy to pinch and slide on and off the quick-rel plate. Yet when carried at side or perched on left hand for shooting, it NEVER tends to slide off unexpectedly.

Lastly, it took some practice, but seriously with tubing on a longer qk-rel plate, I can actually move the zoom ring lock-to-lock (200 to 600) w my left thumb while zooming and never moving my hand from the tubing around plate. The lens remains stable during full zooms. Try it and you'll see.

Another possible fix is the foam made for covering water pipes to prevent freezing.

i would of just stuck a piece of neoprene on or something like a bicycle grip i kind of like my kirk foot it is well rounded and has thumb finger placement groove on it .Although yours is much more stylish and expensive,

i would of just stuck a piece of neoprene on or something like a bicycle grip i kind of like my kirk foot it is well rounded and has thumb finger placement groove on it .Although yours is much more stylish and expensive,
I did just that. Bought a sheet of silicone rubber with adhesive and trimmed to sort of fit. Comfy enough for short outings.

An old RRS plate mounted up although I honestly do not
A35506A1-978A-47CF-B5DE-3324190FD219.jpeg
think their stuff is worth the premium. And I have real issues with one of the owners in terms of politics so I’m done buying RRS.

I replaced the original one by an iShoot THS260 with Arca Swiss and I am still happy with it. It is longer so you have already a better grip.
Nevertheless it is squared and therefore not so comfortable like the expensive solution from #1

Unfortunately its only available in black color.

But it does the trick.

View the Latest Sony Lens Deals At: B&H Photo

Back