Followers
Following
Name
Tim
Country
United States
City/State
SE Michigan
Reliable source How2Fly tweeted that Tamron Tamron will have a product announcement on February 22. He shared no details about what to expect.

Here is the summary of lenses Tamron patented the past two years (in blue those that I like):

IGpatented.jpg

So much in this image, no idea where to start. 20-50/2? Sounds fun. 70-130 seems a little redundant, as does the 24-110. The 28-120 might be cool. 350/4.5? Might fill a slot for a lot of us. How about that 200-800?! Will it be good enough to supplant the 200-600, or does a 1.4TC do that?

Not a huge Macro user, but a 150/2.8 would be kind of cool.

The 200 800 and 200 400 are very interesting, the 135 also, as it will be a good deal cheaper than the Sony. They will probably just announce a 50mm though... :D

The 200 800 and 200 400 are very interesting, the 135 also, as it will be a good deal cheaper than the Sony. They will probably just announce a 50mm though... :D
DAMN! You're RIGHT! The 35 or so we already have isn't quite enough!

If they want to get my attention they need to introduce something with a newish slant. I could go for something like the 20-50/2, but with the 20-40/2.8 just released I doubt it.

I like the idea of a 13mm f1.8 for APSC. The vloggers will gobble that up if its a good price...

You know would be really cool? A new 28-200, but in constant f/2.8 or 3.5.

E mount does need more of these... ✔
Well there are 19 different e-mount ICL bodies (including all colors) but there are only 37 different 50mm available and we all know you need at least 2 lens per body

Well there are 19 different e-mount ICL bodies (including all colors) but there are only 37 different 50mm available and we all know you need at least 2 lens per body

We just knew there was some perfect logic behind this... 🏆

Would be a pretty handy lens, much like the FE 20mm Sony f1.8.
Yep, a very useful focal length.
I could see it being a direct competitor to Viltrox 13mm, Rokinon/Samyang 12mm, and even the Sony 11mm.
Tamron already has an 11-20 f2.8 for APSC, but its a bit heavy (335G) on the smaller APSC cameras like the ZVE. A lighter 13mm prime would be solid gold for apsc vloggers who want to use a small gimbal to complete the compact film making kit.

Yep, a very useful focal length.
I could see it being a direct competitor to Viltrox 13mm, Rokinon/Samyang 12mm, and even the Sony 11mm.
Tamron already has an 11-20 f2.8 for APSC, but its a bit heavy (335G) on the smaller APSC cameras like the ZVE. A lighter 13mm prime would be solid gold for apsc vloggers who want to use a small gimbal to complete the compact film making kit.
All this video nonsense. Stop infecting this fine forum with your poison! :ROFLMAO:

A new 150mm+ Macro is something that has been missing for a long while, and would be interesting.

I've said this a thousand times: If I only bought the things I 'need', I wouldn't have anything.

Wow, none of those speak to me. I might be moved by an independent ML reworking of the Pentax 60-250/4, which was designed one big baffle away from full 36x24 coverage. Wonder if Tamron had a hand in that one or if it was an all-Pentax design?

Is it not the case Sony terminated their third party lens ccoperation agreements some time ago and hence new tamron or other lenses may not come in Emount/Sony compliant designs.......

Maybe i have my dates mixed up but recollect this came out as a Sony public domain announcement some time ago.

Sony is the major shareholder of Tamron, so it's unlikely you'd see a parting.

A major part of Sony's success, whether anyone wants to admit it, is the huge lens ecosystem from expensive to cheap. No other current mount enjoys as many lenses as Sony, with the possible exception of M-4/3, and I'm not even sure about that anymore. Having a wide array of lenses available is a tremendous asset.

Canon definitely issued a cease and desist to someone recently; I want to say it was one of the budget companies, maybe 7Artisans. Nikon has recently signed on with either Tamron or Sigma, can't recall which, to try and increase their lens selection. They finally understood that trying to compete with only their in-house lenses wasn't going to work. The world has changed.

I can't say for certain whether Sony has decided to stop allowing third party manufacturers, but based on their success and their history of maintaining a wide selection across the quality/cost spectrum with A-Mount, I'd guess they aren't going to change anything. They learned their lesson with the Betamax. JVC thrashed them soundly by licensing the VHS to anyone who wanted to build them, while Sony refused. I doubt they'd make the same mistake twice.

...Nikon has recently signed on with either Tamron or Sigma, can't recall which, to try and increase their lens selection...
Nikon is branding some Tamron lenses under their own name. It will be interesting to see if some of the Tamron lenses that are only available in Sony mount - such as the 35-150 f2-2.8 - will appear in a Nikon version.

IGpatented.jpg

So much in this image, no idea where to start. 20-50/2? Sounds fun. 70-130 seems a little redundant, as does the 24-110. The 28-120 might be cool. 350/4.5? Might fill a slot for a lot of us. How about that 200-800?! Will it be good enough to supplant the 200-600, or does a 1.4TC do that?

Not a huge Macro user, but a 150/2.8 would be kind of cool.
I saw this on SonyAlphaRumors and some of the zoom lenses on this chart are quite intriguing. It will be interesting to see what they announce at the end of this month.

I saw this on SonyAlphaRumors and some of the zoom lenses on this chart are quite intriguing. It will be interesting to see what they announce at the end of this month.
I don't know why, but for some reason that 20-50/2 intrigues me.

I can't get excited about that one. I feel like if you already have the 70-200 or one of the variations, you'd be in good shape. I think if I already owned the 20-40/2.8 the new one wouldn't really interest me.

Back