Followers
Following
Name
Lisa
Country
United States
City/State
St. Louis, Missouri
I got my new backpack and I am configuring the compartments for my kit. Since I've never owned a large telephoto lens like the FE 100-400 before, I'd like to know how everyone else stores their gear. Is it OK to have the camera body with the lens & TC attached to it in the backpack? Or, just the lens? Or nothing? :unsure:

Last edited:
Any of those options will work fine. I usually will have the longest lens I am taking attached to the camera.
Thanks, I'm just so worried I will do something wrong to stress the lens mount on the camera and damage it somehow. It sure would be convenient to just leave the lens & TC attached in the backpack.

At events I take two cameras with lenses attached, one with the 24-105 and one with the long lens of choice.

It's perfectly OK to travel with the camera detached, too. I tend to do that because I hav different bags with different long(ish) lenses in them (the 70-200 GM II, the 200-600, and the 300 GM), and I choose the bag, then add one (or two) bodies.

A friend who I shoot with often has had one lens attached to his camera for several years - I'm not sure whether it still comes off!

So different people, different approaches :)

I was considering that backpack but went with one where I could adjust the straps instead since I'm only 5'1". Do you leave that lens attached on the camera in the backpack?
Always. If I am taking the 200-600 with me it will be attached to a body even if I don't think it will be the first lens I will use, it just fits better in the bag. Even if I use my sling bag a lens will be attached in the bag.

View the Latest Sony Lens Deals At: B&H Photo

Back