Followers
Following
Name
Keith Horkins
Country
Canada
City/State
Ontario
I’ve been trying out my new lens, Sony 90mm 2.8 macro lens, I’m very impressed.. Still life study of a Grasshopper..
Sony A7R4 with Sony 90mm F2.8 macro.
84FA187D-960C-4557-98DE-1F722986F0A9.jpeg
  • ILCE-7RM4
  • FE 90mm F2.8 Macro G OSS
  • 90.0 mm
  • ƒ/11
  • 1/50 sec
  • ISO 200
6056CBD5-F6D2-4220-8908-991B960FAD77.jpeg
  • ILCE-7RM4
  • FE 90mm F2.8 Macro G OSS
  • 90.0 mm
  • ƒ/11
  • 1/50 sec
  • ISO 200

One more question, because I know nothing about what you're doing. For these shots, how far away from the subject is the camera lens?

One more question, because I know nothing about what you're doing. For these shots, how far away from the subject is the camera lens?
Hi Jeff
I was about 11in which is the minimum focus distance of this lens..
They are cropped quite a bit but that’s the beauty of the A7R4..

wow, great detail!

Tabletop, tripod , 2 Godox strobes and tethered to my Mac Mini ..
I was hoping CaptureOne v22 update would come with focus stacking to do some more macro trials myself.
My previous (and first) trial with macro photography involved watches, flashes, modifiers/diffusers, tripod, and a Neewer macro extension tube set.
My take-out was: macro is pretty damn hard and either requires a good dedicated macro lens (as the 90 is) or inevitably focus stacking software, wich is a cost I am trying to avoid as I don't need to do macro, just like to experiment with it.

Please add a BTS shot if possible next time, thanks for sharing.

I was hoping CaptureOne v22 update would come with focus stacking to do some more macro trials myself.
My previous (and first) trial with macro photography involved watches, flashes, modifiers/diffusers, tripod, and a Neewer macro extension tube set.
My take-out was: macro is pretty damn hard and either requires a good dedicated macro lens (as the 90 is) or inevitably focus stacking software, wich is a cost I am trying to avoid as I don't need to do macro, just like to experiment with it.

Please add a BTS shot if possible next time, thanks for sharing.
I use a variety of different things depending on the subject and what I’m trying to portray..
I do focus stacking and use Helicon Focus which is excellent and not that expensive. I also use a Laowa 100mm 2.8. 2x macro lens and various macro focusing rails, also reverse lens macro for incredibly magnified images..

I love shooting macro and closeups but have not delved into the realm of focus stacking. The 90mm f/2.8 is my favorite lens and I use it frequently. I tend to shoot flowers and objects with it, though, rather than insects.

Back