Queen Alexandra monument outside St.James Palace
queen_alexandra-4.jpg
  • ILCE-7M4
  • FE 70-200mm F2.8 GM OSS II
  • 70.0 mm
  • ƒ/11
  • 1/80 sec
  • ISO 3200

Queen Victoria monument, outside Buckingham Palace.
queen_victoria-3.jpg
  • ILCE-7M4
  • FE 70-200mm F2.8 GM OSS II
  • 200.0 mm
  • ƒ/11
  • 1/200 sec
  • ISO 500

With what little I know of your history, Victoria is easy. Who/When was Alexandra?

With what little I know of your history, Victoria is easy. Who/When was Alexandra?
Tim, its all rather complicated, with the Royals all being somehow related to one another. Queen Alexandra was born in 1844 and died in 1925. Alexandra was born as Princess Alexandra of Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Glücksburg in Copenhagen, Denmark. She was the eldest daughter of Prince Christian of Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Glücksburg and Princess Louise of Hesse-Kassel. She married Edward VII in 1863 when he was Prince of Wales. In 1864, Alexandra's father had become King of Denmark and her younger brother (Prince Vilhelm of Denmark) became King George the I of Greece, and her sister Dagmar (later Marie Fedorovna) became engaged to the Tsar of Russia. On the death of Queen Victoria (1901) she became Queen consort of King Edward VII. She is the late Queen Elizabeth II's great-grandmother. She is also related to Prince Phillip (the late husband to the late Queen Elizabeth II). Prince Phillip's father was the son of Queen Alexandra's younger brother, King George the I of Greece.

Queen Alexandra also has a link to this forum as she was an enthusiastic and prolific amateur photographer. She learned how to use a hand-held camera and enjoyed creating albums of family photohraphs and painting them with watercolour decoration. In 1908 a selection of her photographs was published as a gift book to raise money for charity.

Last edited:
Back