Birds Unpopular immigrants

Slug

Well Known Member
Followers
Following
Name
Greg Close
Rainbow Lorikeets, not native to Tasmania but now well established.
Rainbows r.jpg
  • ILCE-6400
  • FE 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 GM OSS
  • 400.0 mm
  • ƒ/5.6
  • 1/500 sec
  • ISO 800

Why are they u-popular? They're colorful little creatures.

Why are they u-popular? They're colorful little creatures.
They are native to Australian mainland but not Tasmania. There's some debate as to whether they've migrated, as they are quite capable of doing, or are escapees from pet birds given their popularity early in the 20th century. Could be a bit of both but they are well established now like them or not. It's argued that they displace native species, which they must do to a degree, but no-where near the displacement that clearing causes due to human activity.

They are native to Australian mainland but not Tasmania. There's some debate as to whether they've migrated, as they are quite capable of doing, or are escapees from pet birds given their popularity early in the 20th century. Could be a bit of both but they are well established now like them or not. It's argued that they displace native species, which they must do to a degree, but no-where near the displacement that clearing causes due to human activity.
I've only seen those at the zoo here in Florida, very colorful birds, I got some nice closeups of them. I had no idea where they were originally from. Thanks for sharing.

Very colourful birds well captured

Cool action shots. They are certainly pretty and very noisy.

Back