Sony A1 Update a1 firmware

Robbe

Newcomer
Followers
Following
Name
Rob van der Veer
When comes the update for the a1 to stack in the body like the a7 V already can?

I think the bigger issue with shooting at F22 is the shutter speed needed may not be ideal for the subject.

Anyway my hope for the firmware update is improved animal eye-AF and also improved pixel shift (hope the A7Riv gets this as well). I get that it may not be possible to add all the AF features of the A7Rv given that the AF on that is controlled by a dedicated chip that the A1 just doesn't have but maybe they can improve what subjects the A1 does have.

I think the bigger issue with shooting at F22 is the shutter speed needed may not be ideal for the subject.

Anyway my hope for the firmware update is improved animal eye-AF and also improved pixel shift (hope the A7Riv gets this as well). I get that it may not be possible to add all the AF features of the A7Rv given that the AF on that is controlled by a dedicated chip that the A1 just doesn't have but maybe they can improve what subjects the A1 does have.
I believe people have tested the new pixel shift assembly software, and it works with the A1 as well as the A7RV, but not with the A7RIV. No indication as to why.

Not usually an issue for landscapes as the camera is tripod mounted and it's not likely you will see movement in the shot unless it's really windy, so you can use a longer exposure. Most of my seascapes are at 1/30th or so.

Not usually an issue for landscapes as the camera is tripod mounted and it's not likely you will see movement in the shot unless it's really windy, so you can use a longer exposure. Most of my seascapes are at 1/30th or so.
I think you feel that all landscape shots are all empty of life and what little movement the wind causes isn't enough to impact the image but that isn't always the case. If you have something like a bush large in the foreground with some large rock structure behind it, you want the bush sharp and you may not get that with the shutter speed needed for a properly exposed image at f22. You could also be photographing a city skyline with the lower 3rd containing a highway or ferris wheel which again may look really odd with a longer shutter speed needed when using f22. If f22 worked in all cases focus stacking wouldn't be a thing for landscapes but it doesn't and it is. For many of us a well designed in camera focus stacking tool would be a nice addition.

I think you feel that all landscape shots are all empty of life and what little movement the wind causes isn't enough to impact the image but that isn't always the case. If you have something like a bush large in the foreground with some large rock structure behind it, you want the bush sharp and you may not get that with the shutter speed needed for a properly exposed image at f22. You could also be photographing a city skyline with the lower 3rd containing a highway or ferris wheel which again may look really odd with a longer shutter speed needed when using f22. If f22 worked in all cases focus stacking wouldn't be a thing for landscapes but it doesn't and it is. For many of us a well designed in camera focus stacking tool would be a nice addition.
No, I was just using that as an example if you are shooting f22, and I did say unless it was windy :D

My first try with pixel shift and the A7RIV (back in 2019) was on a nice still day, no wind at all, and several images were spoiled by people walking across the scene, while another had a really weird effect when a flock of birds flew through.

My first try was with a Panny G9. Result was a nice 80MP image, stacked in-camera, and I have no idea what the hell any of the settings were!

My first try with pixel shift and the A7RIV (back in 2019) was on a nice still day, no wind at all, and several images were spoiled by people walking across the scene, while another had a really weird effect when a flock of birds flew through.
I've not dabbled with it, mainly for this reason. It certainly wouldn't work with a seascape because of the crashing waves.

See, this is where we need to get creative. New challenge: Use pixel shift to take photos of people moving. Whoever gets their shot to look the most like a Picaso wins!

See, this is where we need to get creative. New challenge: Use pixel shift to take photos of people moving. Whoever gets their shot to look the most like a Picaso wins!
That's easy, shoot at ISO 102400 and pan. It will at the very least look like it was painted with a stickle brick :D

That's easy, shoot at ISO 102400 and pan. It will at the very least look like it was painted with a stickle brick :D
Super easy and just do it in post with an expressionist filter

Attachments

• Expressionist Tree.jpg
    Expressionist Tree.jpg
    440.3 KB · Views: 40
This could get out of hand....
DSC05116 copy 2 stained.jpg
  • ILCE-7RM4
  • FE 200-600mm F5.6-6.3 G OSS
  • 600.0 mm
  • ƒ/7.1
  • 1/800 sec
  • ISO 1250

Lol. It's the Stained Glass filter in Photoshop. To be fair, I can see where it might have a use, it's actually quite clever.

Back