Name
Tim
Country
United Kingdom
City/State
Shropshire
CC Welcome
  1. Yes
There are two places that you can upload images to: the forums and the gallery. As each works a little differently I'll explain both below:

Forum Uploads

1. Simply click the "Upload Images" button at the bottom of the post editor and select the images that you want to upload.

upload-images.jpg

2. Now select the option to insert either a thumbnail image or full sized image.

thumbnail-full-image.jpg

3. Alternatively if you have items in your gallery then you can click the "Gallery Embed" button instead and select the images that you would like to insert.

gallery-embed.jpg

Please note that all images larger than 2048px at the longest edge will be automatically resized to 2048px. This helps to keep the file sizes sensible which means my hosting cost don't explode and threads/posts don't take a long time to load, especially on mobile connections. If you want to display larger images you can also link to other platforms like Flickr.

Gallery Uploads

When uploading to the media gallery you can either upload images to the pre-defined albums such as wildlife, landscape, portraits etc.. Or you can create your own personal albums.

When you upload to the pre-defined albums these images will be visible to everyone. If you create a personal album then you will be able to apply additional privacy settings if you wish.

1. Select "Gallery" from the main site menu.
2. Click the "Add Media" button that is located top right of the page.
3. Now choose between: uploading to a predefined album, creating a personal album, or uploading to an existing personal album.

media-gallery-uploads.jpg

4. If you have chosen to create a personal album then you'll get the following additional privacy options:

personal-album.jpg

5. Hit the "Upload File" button to upload your images then enter appropriate descriptions in the fields available.

6. Finally hit save to publish your images to the gallery.

Last edited:
Hi Tim
A member suggested I should upload images on my list as full Image instead of thumbnails As it makes it easier for forum members to see the details in an image without having to click on it. You wouldn’t have set the forum up with two options without reason so could you explain what’s the best option please? Thanks,

• Admin
A member suggested I should upload images on my list as full Image instead of thumbnails As it makes it easier for forum members to see the details in an image without having to click on it. You wouldn’t have set the forum up with two options without reason so could you explain what’s the best option please? Thanks,
It's just personal preference really. If you have lots of images to upload then thumbnails are probably better otherwise the post gets very long and if everyone does this it gets even longer and will be slower to load especially on mobile. If someone want's to see a bigger version then I don't think clicking on it is too much trouble. But there are no rules here, it's just up to you :)

It's just personal preference really. If you have lots of images to upload then thumbnails are probably better otherwise the post gets very long and if everyone does this it gets even longer and will be slower to load especially on mobile. If someone want's to see a bigger version then I don't think clicking on it is too much trouble. But there are no rules here, it's just up to you :)
Thanks Tim, that’s what I thought.

There are two places that you can upload images to: the forums and the gallery. As each works a little differently I'll explain both below:

Forum Uploads

1. Simply click the "Upload Images" button at the bottom of the post editor and select the images that you want to upload.

View attachment 101

2. Now select the option to insert either a thumbnail image or full sized image.

View attachment 102

3. Alternatively if you have items in your gallery then you can click the "Gallery Embed" button instead and select the images that you would like to insert.

View attachment 103

Please note that all images larger than 2000px at the longest edge will be automatically resized to 2048px. This helps to keep the file sizes sensible which means my hosting cost don't explode and threads/posts don't take a long time to load, especially on mobile connections. If you want to display larger images you can also link to other platforms like Flickr.

Gallery Uploads

When uploading to the media gallery you can either upload images to the pre-defined albums such as wildlife, landscape, portraits etc.. Or you can create your own personal albums.

When you upload to the pre-defined albums these images will be visible to everyone. If you create a personal album then you will be able to apply additional privacy settings if you wish.

1. Select "Gallery" from the main site menu.
2. Click the "Add Media" button that is located top right of the page.
3. Now choose between: uploading to a predefined album, creating a personal album, or uploading to an existing personal album.

View attachment 104

4. If you have chosen to create a personal album then you'll get the following additional privacy options:

View attachment 105

5. Hit the "Upload File" button to upload your images then enter appropriate descriptions in the fields available.

6. Finally hit save to publish your images to the gallery.
My apologies if I missed this information but how does one delete a duplicate image in a post? It appears I must delete both and then re-upload?

Thank you!

• Admin
My apologies if I missed this information but how does one delete a duplicate image in a post? It appears I must delete both and then re-upload?
My apologies for missing this message! If you accidentally insert duplicate images in a post you should be able to simply move the cursor to the right of the duplicate image then hit delete/backspace.

I have an image out-of-the camera which is invisible to the board when I try to upload it. When I look in that directory with my file manager it is there plain to see. What's up? Also, I can take it into Photopea and then export it as a JPG, as it was going in, and then the board sees it but it no longer has the EXFIF data. Whazzup?

• Admin
I have an image out-of-the camera which is invisible to the board when I try to upload it. When I look in that directory with my file manager it is there plain to see. What's up? Also, I can take it into Photopea and then export it as a JPG, as it was going in, and then the board sees it but it no longer has the EXFIF data. Whazzup?
Normally if it's greyed out so that you can't upload it then it's because the file format is not supported, only JPEGS are supported here. Was it a different file format? I'm just guessing that Photopea stripped out the exif data, that's the only time it won't display. I don't know the software but there is probably an option that keeps the exif data in place.

Normally if it's greyed out so that you can't upload it then it's because the file format is not supported, only JPEGS are supported here. Was it a different file format? I'm just guessing that Photopea stripped out the exif data, that's the only time it won't display. I don't know the software but there is probably an option that keeps the exif data in place.
Tim -

Thanks for the quick answer. I have been able to upload files in the past no problemo. But these JPG's, rightout of the camera will not work. I will try again with Photopea and see if the EXIF will save.

Thanks and cheers

Tim -

Thanks for the quick answer. I have been able to upload files in the past no problemo. But these JPG's, rightout of the camera will not work. I will try again with Photopea and see if the EXIF will save.

Thanks and cheers
That is strange. Can you share the JPEG in question anywhere so that I can try to upload it myself?

Ask and you shall receive. Thank you for taking an interest.

Ask and you shall receive. Thank you for taking an interest.

Downloaded, saved and opened here.

Downloaded, saved and opened here.
Yes. That is not the problem. It is uploading it as-is to post on the board. You are not off the hook that easy, dude. ;o)

How am I doing so far?

Attachments

• 51816182397_b8e20a7be4_o.jpg
    51816182397_b8e20a7be4_o.jpg
    207.5 KB · Views: 49
How am I doing so far?
I can do that. But I want to post if full frame, not thumbnail. Yeah, picky, picky, picky.

I can do that. But I want to post if full frame, not thumbnail. Yeah, picky, picky, picky.
51816182397_b8e20a7be4_o.jpg
  • ILCE-7M3
  • FE 24-240mm F3.5-6.3 OSS
  • 24.0 mm
  • ƒ/3.5
  • 1/6 sec
  • ISO 12800

I suppose you want me to Post Process is too??

I suppose you want me to Post Process is too??
Damned straight. Why shouldn't I? LOL How did you do it? I guess I am just not as bright as the average bear as I can no longer get this to happen. I'll wait for my response until after you have done the post processing. ;o)

Damned straight. Why shouldn't I? LOL How did you do it? I guess I am just not as bright as the average bear as I can no longer get this to happen. I'll wait for my response until after you have done the post processing. ;o)
You have a PM.

Sorry Sandy, somehow I missed the notification on this post. Did you manage to figure this out in the end? Thanks for helping out @Jeff A :)

Thank you Tim, Even that I waddled myself onward, you spelling it out helped me to understand how FORUM and GALLERY work.

Yes, it has all been put to right.

I have noticed that some images have the exif in a grey strip at the bottom of the image. How do you do that?

How do I upload images to the forum that display metadata as well?

Cheers!

Great. I'm posting as it states. And my EXIF info is checked.

Let's see what happens.

Cheers! Thanks for the head's up. Appreciated.

Xophe

fire tower.JPG
  • ILCE-7M4
  • FE 35mm F1.4 GM
  • 35.0 mm
  • ƒ/11
  • 1/500 sec
  • ISO 160

I want to create a couple of Albums for my images. I tried following your directions but there is no "Add Media" button at the top right of the page. Maybe things have changed since 2020. I have clicked "New Media" at the top left and then "Add Media" but I get the message "You do not have permission to view this page or perform this action."

I hope you can help me out here...

I want to create a couple of Albums for my images. I tried following your directions but there is no "Add Media" button at the top right of the page. Maybe things have changed since 2020. I have clicked "New Media" at the top left and then "Add Media" but I get the message "You do not have permission to view this page or perform this action."

I hope you can help me out here...
Have a look now Richard, it should be back. I'm currently experimenting with disabling direct uploads to the gallery categories to boost more activity in the forums, from where they are copied over to the gallery anyway. Direct uploads to the galleries don't really attract many views or interaction. However, it should still be possible to create personal albums, that's not going away.

Hi Tim, I am new this venue and want to submit a long exposure photo, (actually several hundred 20-30 sec. exposures stacked), a star trail photo taken in Joshua Tree on
01/11/24 (3+hours) but I did not post process until a week later so the meta data is all incorrect. Original PSD file 435.5mb (01/17/24) Requesting some guidance please:)
Thanks
Philip C

Back