Followers
Following
Name
Tim
Country
United States
City/State
SE Michigan
The new Samyang 35-150/2-2.8 is now in the shops. Selling for $1399 US, it's $500 less than the Tamron version. B&H had a page up promising that shipping preference would be given to those who preorder. Same thing on Samyang's website. B&H now lists them in stock after only a few days. I am going to hazard a wild guess that there weren't many preorders.

I've seen reviews, none by well-known reviewers nor the common man. It stands up to the Tamron very well, leaving nothing to want for the $500 difference. Still, I'd really prefer to see images made by people like us before I pull the trigger.

I'd also like to lay hands on one before I buy, but I don't think my local shop is going to carry it. And knowing Samyang's reputation for copy variance, ordering online means I must go through a place with a liberal return policy. Probably B&H.

So for now I wait. Not sure how long before I order one knowing it may need to be returned. :(

I checked in out on their website. It looks like they shamelessly copied the Tamron 35-150 in every way.

I own the Tamron, a great lens by the way.

I will be waiting patiently for a Christopher Frost review.

I checked in out on their website. It looks like they shamelessly copied the Tamron 35-150 in every way.

I own the Tamron, a great lens by the way.

I will be waiting patiently for a Christopher Frost review.
No, it's not. Different element groups, weighs a bit more, one less button, a few differences. Wouldn't surprise me at all if Tamron didn't license Samyang. The 35-150 is nice, but not very popular. From all accounts they don't sell very many of them due to the cost and the odd truncated focal range. The reduced cost may entice more people. I am starting to shy away from the idea. I need faster at the long end. If it were f/2 all the way, or at least until 80-90mm I might be more tempted. As it is 80-150mm @ 2.8 is no better than what I have now. Considering maybe a 135/1.8 instead.

View the Latest Sony Lens Deals At: B&H Photo

Back