Followers
Following
Name
Ralph Ernesti
Country
Australia
City/State
Mildura
I have broken my wrist (Left) 3 times that I know of but I think its actually 6 or 7 as I a Mr. Clumsy.
I know this as I have got use to what it feels like to break my wrist and it has always felt the same.
So the Doctors here will do stuff all for me so I just put up with it.

I went out and for some reason I took my old Sony RX10 M4.
Starting out with the Sony A7ii with the 400mm lens and my hand was feeling sore and numb.
The place I went was the 3rd time try to get there. So I decided to try the RX10 camera as its far lighter.
Here are a few sample of the day.
DSC04478.JPG
  • DSC-RX10M4
  • 8.8-220.0 mm f/2.4-4.0
  • 177.9 mm
  • ƒ/7.1
  • 1/250 sec
  • ISO 100
DSC04619.JPG
  • DSC-RX10M4
  • 8.8-220.0 mm f/2.4-4.0
  • 220.0 mm
  • ƒ/7.1
  • 1/160 sec
  • ISO 160
DSC04828.JPG
  • DSC-RX10M4
  • 8.8-220.0 mm f/2.4-4.0
  • 205.6 mm
  • ƒ/7.1
  • 1/160 sec
  • ISO 100
DSC05143.JPG
  • DSC-RX10M4
  • 8.8-220.0 mm f/2.4-4.0
  • 220.0 mm
  • ƒ/6.3
  • 1/160 sec
  • ISO 200
DSC05152.JPG
  • DSC-RX10M4
  • 8.8-220.0 mm f/2.4-4.0
  • 220.0 mm
  • ƒ/6.3
  • 1/160 sec
  • ISO 100
DSC05427.JPG
  • DSC-RX10M4
  • 8.8-220.0 mm f/2.4-4.0
  • 220.0 mm
  • ƒ/6.3
  • 1/320 sec
  • ISO 100
DSC05511.JPG
  • DSC-RX10M4
  • 8.8-220.0 mm f/2.4-4.0
  • 220.0 mm
  • ƒ/6.3
  • 1/125 sec
  • ISO 100
DSC05658.JPG
  • DSC-RX10M4
  • 8.8-220.0 mm f/2.4-4.0
  • 180.7 mm
  • ƒ/5.6
  • 1/200 sec
  • ISO 100

Sounds painful! I've done a lot mountain biking, climbing and snowboarding and never broke anything, then I slipped carrying some boxes down the stairs and broke my foot :( Lighter gear always helps if you are nursing some injuries. It looks like the RX10 doesn't disappoint!

Sounds painful! I've done a lot mountain biking, climbing and snowboarding and never broke anything, then I slipped carrying some boxes down the stairs and broke my foot :( Lighter gear always helps if you are nursing some injuries. It looks like the RX10 doesn't disappoint!
The wrist will be full of arthritis now as apparently as most joints have got it in them which is why I carried the name Arthur Riddick on facebook for a long while.
But yes I agree the RX10 did a really good job for me. I was going to sell it but now I have taken it off all points of sale as for what you have just said.
I am going to go to Physio and see if they can make up some sort of brace to go on my Hand/wrist to add that extra support.
And due to all the bone issues I have got is why I went for the 100/400mm lens over the far more heavier 200/600mm lens.
Yes you miss a little distance but it was maybe one of the smartest moves I have done.
I am heading out where I got these shots and I am taking my good camera as I hate seeing money spent and not using it.
So the main thing with this one what I don't like it the shutter sound.
The RX10 is quite and the A7ii compared to it sounds like a tank.
And my main thing is birding so the old one seem to be the better option. But I will press on.
Thanks for your reply Timothy.

I use the A7II like you and the shutter sound drives me batty. Don't know why they could not find a way to reduce or eliminate that altogether. Fortunately it has not really impacted my interaction with wildlife. As for your wrist. Have you tried using one of the wrist supports bowlers will sometimes wear? Hope you get some relief.

I use the A7II like you and the shutter sound drives me batty. Don't know why they could not find a way to reduce or eliminate that altogether. Fortunately it has not really impacted my interaction with wildlife. As for your wrist. Have you tried using one of the wrist supports bowlers will sometimes wear? Hope you get some relief.
Yep, no silent shutter on the a7II unfortunately. There is on the a7RII and newer and the a7III, but it's not recommended for anything that moves fast due to the rolling shutter, then you'd need to the a9 to eliminate this.

I have never heard of them before but will look into that over this weekend here.
I have made a sort of support out of a plastic milk container and put it in a wrist support which is double layered.
So I am going out with out photo group and I will try it out then and will let you know if it works or not.
Thanks for that suggestion as it could be what I need when I find it.

My wrist support made for myself has worked out well. I can say even better than I thought it would.
I have done a few little walk about with the camera and noticed how sore my wrist gets without the brace on.
I will take a photo of it even though its rough I put a wrist support over the top and this hides the ugliness of it.
So I think I have got it all worked out now which is good for me.

Hey Ralph, that sucks about your wrist. Would a monopod help?

Hey Ralph, that sucks about your wrist. Would a monopod help?
If it was my other wrist then yes it would I think. But its the left wrist which is the stabilizer on for the monopod.
I have tried it but if it does come down to it this is a better option over doing noting at all.

This is a shot of my brace it has 3 light bars in it to help keep it straight and then another elastic brace goes over the top of it.
I have used it without the 3 bars and I have come home quite good.
So I think I have come to what I need now.
Wrist brace.jpg

Back