What's going on?

Social media has gotten so toxic that even at this wonderful site I'm hesitant to post much content. I prefer hiding my ignorance. :) I think being a former forum moderator on a site over ten years ago has honed me to not become what I've dealt with on that forum. Sorry, but I will always be the one that will rarely comment but will try to spend more time looking at posts giving likes to them. It took me hour to get this post down to this level of content and even now I will be pressing the "Post reply" button with trepidation. :ROFLMAO:
Man...you should've never posted that... :D

Happy Thanksgiving, the most American of celebrations :)
That being the case, why is Amazon Europe advertising Black Friday deals? :unsure:

Stand by, you will be assimilated! :alien:

Got my pumpkin pies and cranberries made last night, peanut butter fudge bars the evening before. Getting ready to start the stuffing and get the turkey going. Should be eating around 4:30.

I will admit to being one of those people. And I must get off my arse and start to comment more on other peoples post.
I have not taken this as an offensive way what so ever so it is funny how people look at what is said and interpreter it this way.
I will try my best to get more involved which is as I read it more to what is being said.
For one point I like forums over other forms which included stupid facebook.
So I will try to get into commenting and posting more here in the future.

Thanks guys. Firstly, I am in no way insulting anyone, just making the point that it's a stupid culture in some photo groups where people comment on certain peoples posts and ignore others, and this forum has more recently drifted into that realm. It's not intended to insult people, just maybe get people thinking that maybe they could be more active, after all, they must have joined the forum for a reason? If someone feels they need to leave because that insults them, then it is indeed a very immature attitude to have, maybe they should be insulted! Not really a loss if they don't interact!
I agree that there are a lot of subsections, and posts probably get missed. I don't think I've had a single like or comment on my Snow Buntings post.
I do appreciate any comments or likes, and as mentioned it's a reason to post, and it's not like I'm anti critique either.
Oh well, I seem to have stirred the pot a bit at least :)
If you want insults there are other forums that do that in spade loads here in the uk so be reassured its nothing you have done or said and thanks for your images and input on here gary

I hope all those celebrating Thanksgiving have a good one, eat way too much and get a nap on the sofa while watching sports on TV. That's what we do!
Happy thanks giving Sandy and fellow US members here! :) I definitely don't need an excuse to eat too much! I also nap most days since becoming a parent and being woken up most nights!

I for one click on the "New Posts" link. Would I be correct in assuming I would not miss a single post that way? I'm confused about one thing, If I click the "New Posts" link, will I see the new members intros as well as the regular member's posts?
So there's the new posts widget that you will see in the sidebar on the forum homepage. This no longer displays welcome messages, but I've added another widget below that does display the welcome messages. If you click the new posts link then this will show you all posts including welcome messages. Hope that helps Jeff :)

That being the case, why is Amazon Europe advertising Black Friday deals? :unsure:

Stand by, you will be assimilated! :alien:

Got my pumpkin pies and cranberries made last night, peanut butter fudge bars the evening before. Getting ready to start the stuffing and get the turkey going. Should be eating around 4:30.
Because Amazon world-wide is controlled from the US?

In Australia we eat turkey on Christmas Day - that's our day for eating too much with the family and collapsing on the couch afterwards. No cranberries, fortunately! And no pumpkin pie - pumpkin should be roasted in the oven and served with the turkey and ham...

Bear in mind that Christmas Day is in summer for us, so the heat adds to the impact of eating too much.

In Australia we eat turkey on Christmas Day - that's our day for eating too much with the family and collapsing on the couch afterwards. No cranberries, fortunately! And no pumpkin pie - pumpkin should be roasted in the oven and served with the turkey and ham...

Bear in mind that Christmas Day is in summer for us, so the heat adds to the impact of eating too much.

Correct. As I said, assimilation!

We eat turkey on Christmas as well, maybe a ham or a goose thrown in for a large gathering.

Homemade cranberry sauce is awesome! Not that jellied crap they have in the cans.

We eat pumpkin both roasted and in a pie. And pumpkin butter, and pumpkin bread. This year though it will be roasted and mashed acorn squash from the garden.

If this country has been able to have a holiday that is shared and enjoyed in other places I'd say, "Well done." Black Friday sales have nothing to do with the holiday, they are a product of the guys down in marketing. The actual holiday is a wonderful family get-together.

In my place we don't have Turkey. Most years we have a BBQ for Christmas.
Went we were kids we went out and played Cricket.
Now I have my own family. We might have a roast beef and a couple of roasted chickens..
So not all Aussie's have Turkey as with other countries not everyone does the same as the next.

Correct. As I said, assimilation!

We eat turkey on Christmas as well, maybe a ham or a goose thrown in for a large gathering.

Homemade cranberry sauce is awesome! Not that jellied crap they have in the cans.

We eat pumpkin both roasted and in a pie. And pumpkin butter, and pumpkin bread. This year though it will be roasted and mashed acorn squash from the garden.
Yes, that's true and that's the reason I look like I do! That and no self control. :mad:

No one in the UK does Thanksgiving at all as far as I know (American immigrants aside). Surprising given how much some people like to eat. Turkey is for Christmas :)

Ahhhh...but 'twas soooo good! Now comes the best part: Leftovers!

IMG_0965.jpg

Hahaha, I'll bet it was. I just can't eat big meals like that any more.

Hahaha, I'll bet it was. I just can't eat big meals like that any more.
2 years ago I was a Type 2 diabetic with high cholesterol and obese. My dad had it, and my grandmother lost both legs before they knew how to deal with it. I decided I'd better do something before it was too late. I won't go into the gory details, but the diabetes has been beaten back. My blood sugar is now in the normal range, my cholesterol is at an acceptable level and I'm 75 lbs. lighter and feel great. Eating a meal like that is pretty rare for me these days, and even at that it's a spoonful of the side dishes and no seconds! (well, maybe another bite of turkey :whistle:)

That's great. I am fortunate to have a metabolism that keeps me fairly trim, with careful eating at least, though I have a terribly sweet tooth, I don't eat a huge amount. Thankfully, the hereditary heart issues that plagued my Dads family (his 3 brothers all dies before they were 52) missed my Dad, and therefore has not been passed to me. 2 explanations for that, he was either lucky, or he had a different Dad to the other 3 :D

Well, I did not have a Thanksgiving dinner this year. My family did and I stayed at home with the dogs. I got hit with the cold that is going around. For years, I have only been eating during a six hour window each day so I can enjoy gorging up the food. :p Some people call this method intermittent fasting, but since I do it every day for years that I would think this would be considered a lifestyle by this time. Benefits for me have been, no weight increase and no more acid reflux.

Anyway, I mainly stay away from products with white flour. I used to have major sinus problems and discovered that by reducing the intake of refined white flour products has removed that problem. I am thankful that sugar is not an enemy for me though. 🤣

No one in the UK does Thanksgiving at all as far as I know (American immigrants aside). Surprising given how much some people like to eat. Turkey is for Christmas :)

I thought a fat goose was for Christmas.

Ahhhh...but 'twas soooo good! Now comes the best part: Leftovers!

View attachment 14772

Yes, the leftovers. A turkey sandwich late in the evening with mayo and lots of ground pepper. Julia Childs has a great recipe for a Velouté á la Senegalese that used up all the leftovers and was delicious. When living in Canada I invited a fellow grad student to Thanksgiving with his wife. The table groaned as is customary. He later told his wife we threw out what we had not eaten. He was insufferably arrogant. I had to explain to him that we ate that meal for about a week. It seems profligate, it is actually quite thrifty, and tasty,

And be cautioned this is a celebratory meal which by definition is sumptuous but not common. All cultures have them and they are a gathering of friends and family. Lots of laughter and good times in a meal that will often last a good length of time. And the leftovers. That fridge door gets a good workout for days. Leftover turkey, stuffing and gravy and maybe some Brussels sprouts, tatties and tumshie, boiled small white onions in a creme sauce, pumpkin pie, it goes on. Friday, Saturday and Sunday are days of feasting on leftovers. Then the carcass goes into the pot to be turkey soup, maybe with rice. It's all good. And it is necessary to see the whole picture not the cartoon one. Hopefully those who have not been at this celebration will be invited to one. What the hell, I ate Haggis and found it to be good, with tattie and tumshie of course.

But I cannot speak to Haggis leftovers. Fried slices?

Last edited:
Very possibly, though I'm sure she'd not admit it :)

They all belong to the crown so it is possible but not probable. I'd bet it was a sumptuous Ayrshire beef standing rib roast with some lovely Yorkie. Ummm good. That's what I'd want.

Last edited:
They all belong to the crown so it is possible but not probable. I;d bet it was a sumptuous Ayrshire beef standing rib roast with some lovely Yorkie. Ummm good. That's what I'd want.
Well. as long as it wasn't one of the Corgis...

One for every family in the country I suspect.

I do not know enough about the British Isles and its government to offer an opinion. And I can piss off enough people without getting involved in politics that I am completely ignorant of.

Could it be that the earlier level of activity was, at least in part, due to lockdowns and enforced staying at home, and that we are now returning to a more normal level now that most people are able to get out and take photos again?

Speaking for myself as a fairly new Sony user, I have been taking time to get used to the new kit and not taken much in the way of photos, certainly none worth sharing :) The last few weeks have been challenging time wise so I have not been able to visit as often as I was and have not had the focus to look at all the new posts, hence when I have logged in my visit has been somewhat cursory. I suspect most members go through phases of activity and some are more open to sharing and commenting.

I have found this forum a good place to be though I think I agree that there are too many subdivisions but maybe I need to make more use of What's New!

Speaking for myself as a fairly new Sony user, I have been taking time to get used to the new kit and not taken much in the way of photos, certainly none worth sharing :) The last few weeks have been challenging time wise so I have not been able to visit as often as I was and have not had the focus to look at all the new posts, hence when I have logged in my visit has been somewhat cursory. I suspect most members go through phases of activity and some are more open to sharing and commenting.

I have found this forum a good place to be though I think I agree that there are too many subdivisions but maybe I need to make more use of What's New!
Just click on the "New Posts" link when you log on and it will display everything you've missed.

I do not know enough about the British Isles and its government to offer an opinion. And I can piss off enough people without getting involved in politics that I am completely ignorant of.
Well, the Queen isn't part of the Government, she is our Monarch, obviously, and is paid as such by us taxpayers, current income from various sources is 7.9 million P.A. and she has an estimated net worth of 4-500million taking into account assets owned privately. She's not poor :)

Back