Name
Uncle Kev 😆
Country
United Kingdom
City/State
Ormesby St Margaret
CC Welcome
  1. Yes
I have noticed that fewer and fewer people are commenting on, or even looking at my posts (and others) recently, and I have to wonder why? We have loads of members, many inactive, but even those who are active, aren't looking at others posts, or certainly not commenting. Now it might just be me, but I like people commenting and liking my shots, it encourages me to carry on, because otherwise, what is the pooint? I see this on Facebook groups, and thought this place might be free of that stupid culture. Clearly not it seems.

By not insulting your intended audience might be a good start?
I don't think Kev is insulting anyone, just asking a genuine question regarding engagement here.

I have noticed that fewer and fewer people are commenting on, or even looking at my posts (and others) recently, and I have to wonder why? We have loads of members, many inactive, but even those who are active, aren't looking at others posts, or certainly not commenting. Now it might just be me, but I like people commenting and liking my shots, it encourages me to carry on, because otherwise, what is the pooint? I see this on Facebook groups, and thought this place might be free of that stupid culture. Clearly not it seems.
I agree Kev, from what I see engagement tends to come and go and is often just from a few members. I'd like to find a magic bullet to fix this but right now can't think of what else to do to increase this. I am considering changing the default forum list page where people land to a newsfeed view in order to bring more content to the surface, this may or may not help. Although the software to do this is still in beta so it's not something I'd want to implement just yet. I'm open to suggestions though as I wouldn't like to see long-standing members like yourself leave or new members not stick around due to poor engagement.

@Kevriano I hear you Kev. I comment and post a lot on threads here, and sometimes I feel like I'm that one guy in the room who won't shut up 😅
In my case, I love an active forum and try to participate throughout the day (the benefit of working from home).

@Timothy Mayo I think you're doing as much as you can with the forum and I salute you sir. I do like the idea of the newsfeed on the landing page though.

I post on several forums. From what I can see, there is a much smaller group here than normal. It also seems there are many newer photographers here, with a few that are more established. Lastly, is it just my impression or is the group here older? I'm in my early 60's, and as a non-social media (other than forums) user, it took me a while to remember to 'like' posts when forums first showed up with that feature.

Lastly, and I won't continue to beat this horse as I've said it a few times now, this forum is too spread out. Too many choices. I'm unlikely to see a post about a camera bag question if I have no need to go in that forum. But, If I had a tripod post and the camera bag post was right there under it...

I post on several forums. From what I can see, there is a much smaller group here than normal. It also seems there are many newer photographers here, with a few that are more established. Lastly, is it just my impression or is the group here older? I'm in my early 60's, and as a non-social media (other than forums) user, it took me a while to remember to 'like' posts when forums first showed up with that feature.

Lastly, and I won't continue to beat this horse as I've said it a few times now, this forum is too spread out. Too many choices. I'm unlikely to see a post about a camera bag question if I have no need to go in that forum. But, If I had a tripod post and the camera bag post was right there under it...
Some of the group size and demographics observations could be attributed to a general trend towards social media ie: Groups on Facebook, especially with the younger audience. Timothy's a6400 owners Facebook group, for example, is very active. Sometimes that's a double-edged sword though: the FB group is prone to a bit of gear snobbery and repetitive questions for those unwilling to use the search function (insert millennial cliché of instant gratification).

Personally, I think a forum, viewable on my PC or tablet screen, is better for a photography group so I can appreciate the pictures.

Some of the group size and demographics observations could be attributed to a general trend towards social media ie: Groups on Facebook, especially with the younger audience.
Some of the forums I belong to are ridiculously active, so much so that they can be difficult to keep up with. They've had years and years to become established. Others are more like this, a smaller more intimate group of users. Both are fine, it's all in what you want.
Personally, I think a forum, viewable on my PC or tablet screen, is better for a photography group so I can appreciate the pictures.
I dislike FB, Twitter, Instagram, all of them. The ONLY reason I have a Facebook page is to stay in touch with the dragstrip I shoot at, and even it is registered under a modified name so my family can't find me... 😏

I have only viewed a few and only commented briefly, so I think I fit perfectly @Kevriano description of "stupid culture". And I do feel, whether intended or not, that I am causing a Pro member distress. My humble apologies.

Well it's goodbye from me and I wish this forum success in the future.
Seriously? Very mature of you.

What I did notice was a recent abrupt change in the members/guests count racio (of wich I complained in the past for being <<1). Several times seeing #members > #guests, wich I don't remember seeing even once in the past.

As for finding content I do think that the "latest posts" list on the landing page is mostly what I look at and, because lately there have been so many introduction and welcome posts that section is become less useful than before for finding new content too.

I have noticed that fewer and fewer people are commenting on, or even looking at my posts (and others) recently, and I have to wonder why? We have loads of members, many inactive, but even those who are active, aren't looking at others posts, or certainly not commenting. Now it might just be me, but I like people commenting and liking my shots, it encourages me to carry on, because otherwise, what is the point? I see this on Facebook groups, and thought this place might be free of that stupid culture. Clearly not it seems.
I don't do Facebook, Instagram or others. This forum suits me just fine and in Particular, I would hate to miss any of your postings, Kev. I'm in awe of your skill and talent. I have not considered why I do or do not respond to any given post from any Author. I think maybe if something pops into my head, I'll comment, but maybe my head would be empty at any given time. :oops: I have been accused of that.

Kev, your work and the work of others that have your level of skill keep me coming to this Forum. I would hate to see you back off or stop posting. Please, keep up the good work.

Kev,

I reiterate what Jeff says above. I’m not on any social media only this forum and having only had my camera and lenses since July, I’m just a beginner. So really enjoy looking at your shots and try to learn from them. Off to WWT Slimbridge tomorrow to see if I can bag any new birds for my list.

Thanks guys. Firstly, I am in no way insulting anyone, just making the point that it's a stupid culture in some photo groups where people comment on certain peoples posts and ignore others, and this forum has more recently drifted into that realm. It's not intended to insult people, just maybe get people thinking that maybe they could be more active, after all, they must have joined the forum for a reason? If someone feels they need to leave because that insults them, then it is indeed a very immature attitude to have, maybe they should be insulted! Not really a loss if they don't interact!
I agree that there are a lot of subsections, and posts probably get missed. I don't think I've had a single like or comment on my Snow Buntings post.
I do appreciate any comments or likes, and as mentioned it's a reason to post, and it's not like I'm anti critique either.
Oh well, I seem to have stirred the pot a bit at least :)

What I did notice was a recent abrupt change in the members/guests count racio (of wich I complained in the past for being <<1). Several times seeing #members > #guests, wich I don't remember seeing even once in the past.

As for finding content I do think that the "latest posts" list on the landing page is mostly what I look at and, because lately there have been so many introduction and welcome posts that section is become less useful than before for finding new content too.
I have to admit I don't keep a close eye on the members/guests ratio, although obviously it would be nice to see more members online than guests which does seem to be the case right now, although I have no explanation for it I'm afraid! I'll need to check the last software update I did to see if anything was tweaked here... Nope, nothing mentioned in the release notes so still scratching my head over this. Will have to keep a closer eye on it going forward.

I use the latest posts to discover new posts as well, even when I know I could click the What's New link. I've just extended this from 5 to 10 posts. There's really too much static content on the homepage which needs to change, it is something that has been on my mind for the last couple of months and I'm looking into a couple of possible options.

As well as extending this to 10 recent posts I've removed the welcome posts from displaying here, hopefully these two tweaks help a little.

I reiterate what Jeff says above. I’m not on any social media only this forum and having only had my camera and lenses since July, I’m just a beginner. So really enjoy looking at your shots and try to learn from them. Off to WWT Slimbridge tomorrow to see if I can bag any new birds for my list.
I do love Slimbridge. Unfortunately it's an extra hours drive from my new hometown. Hope you have a good visit David!

I do love Slimbridge. Unfortunately it's an extra hours drive from my new hometown. Hope you have a good visit David!
Have you finally moved Tim!

Most of the guests are probably bots.
Thanks guys. Firstly, I am in no way insulting anyone, just making the point that it's a stupid culture in some photo groups where people comment on certain peoples posts and ignore others, and this forum has more recently drifted into that realm. It's not intended to insult people, just maybe get people thinking that maybe they could be more active, after all, they must have joined the forum for a reason? If someone feels they need to leave because that insults them, then it is indeed a very immature attitude to have, maybe they should be insulted! Not really a loss if they don't interact!
I agree that there are a lot of subsections, and posts probably get missed. I don't think I've had a single like or comment on my Snow Buntings post.
I do appreciate any comments or likes, and as mentioned it's a reason to post, and it's not like I'm anti critique either.
Oh well, I seem to have stirred the pot a bit at least :)
No, no, no. You have insulted us. We need time to pout. Stop being so mean.

Have you finally moved Tim!
Moved a couple of months back Kev, just a couple of days after getting back from our honeymoon. Although unfortunately not to the place that we are still in the process of buying. For now we are staying at my wife's dads place whilst he's away in Portugal for the winter, but it's only a couple of miles from where we will be buying. Latest update is late Jan/Feb time, but we aren't holding our breath!

Moved a couple of months back Kev, just a couple of days after getting back from our honeymoon. Although unfortunately not to the place that we are still in the process of buying. For now we are staying at my wife's dads place whilst he's away in Portugal for the winter, but it's only a couple of miles from where we will be buying. Latest update is late Jan/Feb time, but we aren't holding our breath!
Well at least you have somewhere in the meantime. Irritating and stressful though.

Well at least you have somewhere in the meantime. Irritating and stressful though.
It certainly is but not having to stress over the sale anymore is a big relief :)

Could it be that the earlier level of activity was, at least in part, due to lockdowns and enforced staying at home, and that we are now returning to a more normal level now that most people are able to get out and take photos again?

As well as extending this to 10 recent posts I've removed the welcome posts from displaying here, hopefully these two tweaks help a little.
I for one click on the "New Posts" link. Would I be correct in assuming I would not miss a single post that way? I'm confused about one thing, If I click the "New Posts" link, will I see the new members intros as well as the regular member's posts?

As someone who has hung around photography-related sites for a long time, I can say that sometimes people do just look at someone else's image, and unless it really captures their attention for some reason, they're likely to move on rather than to offer a comment or hit the "like" button. At times, if someone is posting images which, ahem, are really not up to par and they have not asked for critique or help in improving their images and/or their skills, members are likely to just look and then move on, rather than risk hurting someone's feelings by offering their true thoughts on an image and yet not wanting to give that person false hope that their image is just wonderful when it is not.... When someone DOES specifically ask for critique, then this is when suggestions and advice are more often offered, especially if it is clear how an image can be improved.

A couple of recent examples I can offer from my own experience at another site...... I am participating in the 52-Weeks Project there, where every week a couple of us post our (hopefully best) images that we've shot during the past week. The last I looked, I have had over 17,000 views and....uh, I think something like 125 actual comments. And, yes, I asked for critique, using the "Critique"tag. However, since there are only a couple of us doing this project and it's not one based on a certain style or genre, many members may not even bother looking in that subforum in the first place.

The second example is that I have been struggling with trying to get decent images of the very high-contrast (white "hoods," black-and-brown bodies) male Hooded Mergansers that have been in our little lake. I again put the "critique" tag on and have gotten some very useful assistance and suggestions from some members, especially those who shoot water birds, who have looked at the thread. I've been working with making changes to my settings, trying those out and going back for more help, which again has been generously offered and shared. Other members have probably taken a look and decided they had nothing to offer so didn't comment or hit the "like" button.

We all tend to gravitate towards our own particular areas of interest, too, and I know I'm guilty of that. When coming here, I first look at any new posts in threads which I've already participated in and/or am "watching." After that I look at the list of new posts. Sometimes I'm in a hurry, don't have a lot of time and so don't hang around long, other times I do have more time to read threads/posts and perhaps add my own thoughts. I tend not to get into the welcoming of new members thing unless I do have time for that. Obviously if a topic is something about which I do know something or can add something more to what has already been discussed, I'll do that, but other topics may be in areas in which I have no interest or experience.

As a newbie, I'm in awe of pretty much everything I see here and, don't think I could or should be critiquing. However, I will start at least giving them a thumbs up!

As someone who has hung around photography-related sites for a long time, I can say that sometimes people do just look at someone else's image, and unless it really captures their attention for some reason, they're likely to move on rather than to offer a comment or hit the "like" button. At times, if someone is posting images which, ahem, are really not up to par and they have not asked for critique or help in improving their images and/or their skills, members are likely to just look and then move on, rather than risk hurting someone's feelings by offering their true thoughts on an image and yet not wanting to give that person false hope that their image is just wonderful when it is not.... When someone DOES specifically ask for critique, then this is when suggestions and advice are more often offered, especially if it is clear how an image can be improved.
I'm quite the opposite. Most times you can tell if someone is newer or more experienced. What one posts as their best work deserves just as much attention as the other. So, maybe it's not a top-notch artistic shot, big deal. Some of the most iconic photos in the world were grab shots. If a newer person posts something that they're proud of and they get no response at all, they may just pack it in. It's got to be tough as a new photographer to post alongside some of the more proficient members.

A like from me is based on the photo and what I know about the photographer's ability.

What grinds me are the narcistic putzes who never make a single positive comment, never post a like, never even participate in the community except to post their own photos. Those are ones I'll ignore. I'd rather give a newbie a solid pat on the back for their best effort even if it's a mediocre shot than waste a like a stellar photo posted by a jerk!

A number of reasons. There is a cyclicality to board action. We are into the holiday season. It may be the windup of the football season, as in "fitbah." Maybe there is not enough interest in Buntings. And there is the lockdown/pandemic. Do not take it personally. Keep doing what you are doing. Believe in yourself. What do you care what other people think? It's your camera, you can do what you want with it. FWIW I got panned for a photo that later won a NatGeo award. There's a lot of dickbrains out there.

Social media has gotten so toxic that even at this wonderful site I'm hesitant to post much content. I prefer hiding my ignorance. :) I think being a former forum moderator on a site over ten years ago has honed me to not become what I've dealt with on that forum. Sorry, but I will always be the one that will rarely comment but will try to spend more time looking at posts giving likes to them. It took me hour to get this post down to this level of content and even now I will be pressing the "Post reply" button with trepidation. :ROFLMAO:

Could it be that the earlier level of activity was, at least in part, due to lockdowns and enforced staying at home, and that we are now returning to a more normal level now that most people are able to get out and take photos again?
That may have a little to do with it, for sure, but then, even the members who are still visibly active just don't seem to post, just the same few of us each time.

I am not posting for approval. I do not much care what anybody thinks of my photos. I'm 81 now and I earned that right. I am posting what pleases me. If it pleases you, good. If it does not, that's OK, too. We can't all love the same woman.

I hope all those celebrating Thanksgiving have a good one, eat way too much and get a nap on the sofa while watching sports on TV. That's what we do!

I am not posting for approval. I do not much care what anybody thinks of my photos. I'm 81 now and I earned that right. I am posting what pleases me. If it pleases you, good. If it does not, that's OK, too. We can't all love the same woman.

I hope all those celebrating Thanksgiving have a good one, eat way too much and get a nap on the sofa while watching sports on TV. That's what we do!
Happy Thanksgiving, the most American of celebrations :)

Yeah, it's the one day a year that Americans eat as well as the French do every day. LMAO

Back