Followers
Following
Name
Tim
Country
United States
City/State
SE Michigan
Found what appears to be a very loosely-run photo walk group in my area. Looks like they have 'meetings' only once in a while, but schedule monthly photo walks. This month's will be held at the old Ohio State Reformatory where they made the film “The Shawshank Redemption”. Sounds like fun and documentary style photography is right up my alley. I think I'm going to give it a try and see if it's worth my time, might give me some winter inspiration. Looks like anything goes from old brownies to digital, many people shoot film so could drag out a few of my old cameras and clear out some of the film in my freezer.

I'd go to that one just to be on that film set. I'd love that. When I went to Chicago with my 2 work colleagues we wanted to recreate the stair scene from The Untouchables in the train station.

Well that was a quick turnaround. Their first response indicated all platforms welcome, then the film purists chimed in. C-ya!

Lol, fkn nerds
Best part is they don't seem to understand that their membership is sending a mixed message. The first one says they're considering a name change to be more inclusive, the next one says it was started by film people and that's how they want to keep it. I pointed out the disconnect and the response was: But it's a great club." :unsure:

Ok, but what part of "I don't have time to process film", and "no desire to develop prints" didn't you get?

I'd go to that one just to be on that film set. I'd love that. When I went to Chicago with my 2 work colleagues we wanted to recreate the stair scene from The Untouchables in the train station.
you would be surprised how disappointing most film sets are in real life. When I worked on the remake of The Shinning at the hotel the book was based on, the interior as cool and if you faced the hotel straight on , okay, but if you looked out the front windows or stood on the porch it became obvious that this hotel was not where it was portrayed to be, the whole town was in view and maybe less than half a mile away

Best part is they don't seem to understand that their membership is sending a mixed message. The first one says they're considering a name change to be more inclusive, the next one says it was started by film people and that's how they want to keep it. I pointed out the disconnect and the response was: But it's a great club." :unsure:

Ok, but what part of "I don't have time to process film", and "no desire to develop prints" didn't you get?
Sad and foolish

you would be surprised how disappointing most film sets are in real life. When I worked on the remake of The Shinning at the hotel the book was based on, the interior as cool and if you faced the hotel straight on , okay, but if you looked out the front windows or stood on the porch it became obvious that this hotel was not where it was portrayed to be, the whole town was in view and maybe less than half a mile away
I can't tell you how disappointed I was as a young lad when I saw where they filmed McHale's Navy. Not quite the South Pacific. In fact I'm not even sure it was on the South lot... :ROFLMAO:

I didn't realise they had even remade that. A travesty, you cannot remake a Kubrick and think it will be any good!
I did quite like the "sequel" they made though, Dr Sleep

I can't tell you how disappointed I was as a young lad when I saw where they filmed McHale's Navy. Not quite the South Pacific. In fact I'm not even sure it was on the South lot... :ROFLMAO:
So true, in my long career just a few of the projects shot where they supposed to take place
I didn't realise they had even remade that. A travesty, you cannot remake a Kubrick and think it will be any good!
I did quite like the "sequel" they made though, Dr Sleep
They made it because Stephen King did not like it, especially the hotel, but I would bet on retrospect he ended up liking the first one better in the long run

In high school when I did darkroom work I actually enjoyed that more than the photography. If I could go someplace close to use a darkroom and process film myself it might be something that I would consider. Since there is no such place film can be a memory of something I once did but has no place in my current hobby life. This hobby is already expensive enough.

Sounds like a bunch of mixed up buggers! You know it's bad when people are that fried via messages, you meet up in real life and within a second of saying hello you start counting every painful second of the encounter... 😄

So, shortly after I pointed out the problem, they put up a statement that says the club's goal is to 'further analog photography'. Having that in place a few days ago would've precluded communication with them.

Analog is fine but to make that the only photo expression is foolish, when most will still scan and process in their digital darkroom.

When I was DJ'ing I held off moving to digital until there was just too many songs I was missing out on by only mixing records, only because I could see that mixing vinyl was a lot harder and believed it was more skilful. I remember all the guys who used to be strictly records only and they claimed that it is better sound quality. I never understood how people could believe that a direct digital file could be not as good quality as an analogue record which not only slowly itself diminishes but also the needle which reads it also slowly wears out.

Either way, what I concluded once I moved over was the sound quality and ease of mixing was waaaay easier on digital. Another conclusion was that if you can mix on vinyl then mixing digital would seem easy straight away, whereas if you've only ever mixed digital then you have no chance of just picking up vinyl and start mixing instantly.

I always viewed it as so long as someone is engulfing themselves into understanding the music then I couldn't give a sh*t what platform they're channelling that through, but there should be an open mind for all avenues. I guess it goes over to photography where you have your die hard film or nothing dudes, and sure I don't doubt there's value to it, but they're also missing out in a big way by not picking up a digital camera.

So, shortly after I pointed out the problem, they put up a statement that says the club's goal is to 'further analog photography'. Having that in place a few days ago would've precluded communication with them.

Sounds like they will be lamenting their diminishing numbers as the die-hards die off (possibly from the inhalation of chemicals….)

Shame they are closed-minded.

Having seen the price of film in a camera store this week, it will die very soon. I could buy a 64gb card for the same.

Yeah, the problem with all of your prognostications is that you VASTLY underestimate artsy-fartsy Ann Arbor and the level of trendy nonsense the University of Michigan adds to the mix. This nightmare could go on for decades, with a fresh crop coming in every semester! :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:
Having seen the price of film in a camera store this week, it will die very soon. I could buy a 64gb card for the same.
I have hundreds (literally) of feet of film in my freezer in the form of bulk rolls, not to mention the stuff in the refrigerator. You'd be surprised what you can still find out there. My biggest problem is the time and space to do it. The time wouldn't be so bad if I had a permanent spot, but setting up/tearing down/cleaning up in the kitchen is a pain in the butt.

Yeah, the problem with all of your prognostications is that you VASTLY underestimate artsy-fartsy Ann Arbor and the level of trendy nonsense the University of Michigan adds to the mix. This nightmare could go on for decades, with a fresh crop coming in every semester! :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

I have hundreds (literally) of feet of film in my freezer in the form of bulk rolls, not to mention the stuff in the refrigerator. You'd be surprised what you can still find out there. My biggest problem is the time and space to do it. The time wouldn't be so bad if I had a permanent spot, but setting up/tearing down/cleaning up in the kitchen is a pain in the butt.
Sounds to me like you are in a great place to sell your film, make a pile of cash, and buy another digital body :)

Back