Name
ST
Country
Canada
City/State
British Columbia
CC Welcome
  1. Yes
Exactly one year ago, I headed out on a road trip to see a distant relative. This was a spur-of-the-moment decision as it had crossed my mind, this might be the last time to see some people there.

I hadn't previously been interested in photography beyond occasional shots on my five-year-old phone.

On the way out of town, on a whim, I picked up an A7C with kit lens. I chose Sony because I was doing some work in the Audio for Video market, and most of the people I met through that connection were using Sony gear.

I liked the A7C, but while I was away, I stopped at a camera store and checked out an A7 IV. I was immediately sold on the viewfinder and interested in the higher specs for video and higher megapixel sensor. I was still too new to fully appreciate the other differences. I also picked up the FE 24-105mm F4 G OSS.

It's been a great year. I've been out taking photos for several hours every day since. And this community is also one of my daily haunts and inspirations since I joined seven months ago.

Last edited:
To get out daily takes serious dedication, I have to confess, I'm constantly berating myself for the shots I miss due to being too lazy to pick up a camera.

My photographic journey has been almost the opposite, I started at school, where photography was an optional art subject. I have to confess being in the dark room held a more romantic appeal than painting rubber plants on cheap paper with poster paints.

I took an almost ten year break when digital started, due to a snobbish streak. I honestly believed it was cheating and anyway, it would never compete with film.

Eventually, I realised it was here to stay and I was missing out. A few nikon dslrs later, then due to shoulder and spine complaints, I had to jettison some weight. The decision to go mirrorless was made, sony were chosen because of the lens range available and results I had seen from Sony users whilst on a trip to Antarctica.

Then I really began to learn. I think the sudden investment triggered a need to justify and so I found myself becoming much more self critical. This, I believe produced far better photographs than I had taken previously. I also found myself swaying into more fields than previously, before emptying my account, I considered wildlife to be my interest. Now, it's still up there, but I spread my wings more broadly now. This is a tremendous form of therapy, because I still consider wildlife the most frustrating of all the disciplines.

Online forums are one of the most positive benefits of the Internet in my humble opinion. Where else can you wake up to see what has been captured in the Antipodes or south America. It's fascinating and the sharing of knowledge is a huge help in improving that which most of us love to do. Facebook has a place, but it's format makes retrieving past information beyond impossible.

Anyway, all I meant to say was "cool, enjoy". I tend to prattle on at times.

ST — I bought an A7C six months ago and was in a shop today sizing up the A7RV. If I go that way I’ll feel good I held out longer than a single trip! Appreciate your story.

Back