Focus tracking in A7 IV video without touch tracking - any intel on upcoming updates?

fredwest

Newcomer
Followers
Following
Name
Fredrik Westlund
Hello Alphashooters,

I have been combing the internet for information about what I first thought must be a misunderstanding on my part - the inability to focus track while shooting video with an A7 IV but WITHOUT using the touch screen. As discouraging as it sounds, I think I have finally concluded that it is not possible. It IS possible on other Alpha models though, which makes me hope that the feature could migrate to the A7 IV in an upcoming firmware update. I simply can't understand why this feature is overlooked in the A7 IV and it would make a particular use case of mine (basketball videography) considerably more convenient.
Does anyone have any intel on whether this could be expected to be added? Or even better, can any one set me straight and tell me it is already possible? I would like to assign a custom button to activate the tracking from the point where I have my spot focus aimed rather than having to fidget with the screen.

Sony is well-known for being extremely stingy with firmware updates. Typically, if they do a firmware update that adds features, it's to a higher level camera. For example, when the A7 IV was introduced with bird-eye focus in video, they added it to the A1 via firmware to keep the flagship current. I am not sure they've ever added new features to an older, lower priced model. If they have, it would be exceedingly rare. Note that the A7R V is newer than the A7 IV, and it's likely a newly developed feature. It will probably show up on their new cameras going forward. Also, unless there's an operational problem, once a new camera has been out for a year or so they pretty much stop the firmware. Since the A7 IV is now 2 years old, we should expect to see the A7 V early-mid next year.

The link below is the guide for focus tracking from the A7 IV online manual. It appears as though your findings are accurate, and it's only available on video using touch.

I know it's not the answer you hoped for.

Back