Who’s getting the 50 1.2?

View the Latest Sony Lens Deals At: B&H Photo

liggy

Well Known Member
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Followers
Following
This lens sounds amazing. Fast aperture, fast AF and compact. I never intended the A9II to be a portraiture camera but it sounds mega. :)

I would love to get it, but I’m not sure if the benefits over the 55mm are really worth it. I am tempted though.

I would love to get it, but I’m not sure if the benefits over the 55mm are really worth it. I am tempted though.

That would make it tougher. I don’t have any fast 50ish lenses so I’m thinking either used Zony 50 1.4 or the GM 50 1.2

Placed a preorder for the 50 1.2 but if the right deal on the Zony comes along - I may go that route.

This lens sounds amazing. Fast aperture, fast AF and compact. I never intended the A9II to be a portraiture camera but it sounds mega. :)

I don't want to rain on your parade, but I'm just reporting what I found after pursuing the above suggested DPReview link offered here.

I captured the 4K playback of the video review and found a surprising anomaly. Liggy, any thoughts as to why?

And in the course of my research on the 50 f1.2, I found a somewhat more light-hearten, more humorous video for that same lens.
WARNING: For entertainment value ONLY!

click for video

Attachments

• Sony 50GM CompareSample.jpg
    Sony 50GM CompareSample.jpg
    222.5 KB · Views: 31
  • Bokeh.JPG
    Bokeh.JPG
    58.8 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:
I need more Toneh in my life. :). I thought he switched to Canon though after the R5 came out.

I really don’t do video so the focus breathing isn’t an issue. No idea of the eyebrow thing other than perhaps razor thin DOF?

I’ve got a 65mm 1.4 for the GFX system and DOF wide open and focal length should be nearly identical. I like that the Sony looks to have solid autofocus and is relatively light given the speed of the lens.

With as much Toneh this is sure to deliver I’m fairly certain I’m going to love it.

I suspect the anomaly is due to lighting differences. I'm sure it's a good lens, but for me shooting mostly video (80%), breathing might be a concern, which DP pointed out in their vid. My other thing is fstop. I know there's risk of diffraction, but I still like f5.6-11 stills, especially in portraits. I don't like eyes in and hair/ears out.
But I think people will be happy w 50 1.2.

The toneh guy is a real stitch; when I'm down or bored, I tune him in for a mood pickup.

I do loves me some Toneh Bokeh so I feel that this lens is made for me.
How did you go about learning to edit video? It’s a mystery to me.
So far all I’ve done is edit stuff in iMovie.

As for portraits - the 2.8 Tamron 70-180 is actually pretty good for that. In the APSC Fuji world my favorite lens is the 35mm 1.4 so I see this 50 1.2 as being the even better version of that.

I don't want to rain on your parade, but I'm just reporting what I found after pursuing the above suggested DPReview link offered here.

I captured the 4K playback of the video review and found a surprising anomaly. Liggy, any thoughts as to why?

And in the course of my research on the 50 f1.2, I found a somewhat more light-hearten, more humorous video for that same lens.
WARNING: For entertainment value ONLY!

click for video

He’s right of course. The 55 can be kicked around a football field, whereas the 50 GM would need to spend a considerable time being nursed in a crib before being allowed out. It would probably need to be vaccinated, as well. You wouldn’t want it to catch any bugs.

I do loves me some Toneh Bokeh so I feel that this lens is made for me.
How did you go about learning to edit video? It’s a mystery to me.
So far all I’ve done is edit stuff in iMovie.

As for portraits - the 2.8 Tamron 70-180 is actually pretty good for that. In the APSC Fuji world my favorite lens is the 35mm 1.4 so I see this 50 1.2 as being the even better version of that.

I absolutely agree w you on bokeh, it's important!, and I take care to get it behind the target, I shot mostly people stills, some skydivers, or other interesting people activities. For example, with skydivers shot at an angle, I need lots DoF because sometimes the harness, hands, or posture is as important as face. Then the trick is to blur EVERYTHING beyond them, not easy, as you know. And with a moving target to track, lots of button adjustments since stills are very revealing of mistakes, videos not so much.

Learning vid edit.... well, it all depends how serious you are, what quality you want, how much $ you got. Those things determine what edit s/w you buy or settle for, and how much learning curve (time) you can afford. iMovie likely is enough, at least starting out. And alphas are now good for video so no need to invest in a real video cam.

I started small w a6000 series and did aerial drones for quite awhile. Then later launched in 7Rii & iv's. They're easier to lug around than a 4,000 pound video camera. Really good vids are hard to make and very time-consuming. Below is one of my older vids just to give some idea of the torture endured. They're fun but exhausting. If you have any specific questions ref vids in future, post me. And best of luck on your lens purchases.

click here for video watch at 1080 HD

Last edited:
Good stuff! Loved the heron takeoff. I’m honestly not very serious about it. More of a Video 101 basics with iMovie should suffice. Rule of Thirds for video kind of basics. Pretty sure I can find that on YouTube these days.

Not enough time in the day... :)

That would make it tougher. I don’t have any fast 50ish lenses so I’m thinking either used Zony 50 1.4 or the GM 50 1.2

Placed a preorder for the 50 1.2 but if the right deal on the Zony comes along - I may go that route.
You may have misread the reference to Zony - I think the comment was about the Zony 55mm f/1.8, not the Zony 50mm f/1.4.

I am considering the 50mm f/1.2, partly because it is built like the 135mm f/1.8 with four focus motors driving two focus groups for insane speed.

The 50 GM is not available in Melbourne yet. I don’t think I would buy one without seeing it first, particularly given its size and weight. I just received my 35 GM today, and it is very similar to the 24 GM in terms of its form factor, and that is borderline for me.

You may have misread the reference to Zony - I think the comment was about the Zony 55mm f/1.8, not the Zony 50mm f/1.4.

I think you may have misunderstood my post. It seemed to me that he didn’t feel the 50 1.2 was offering *that* much more than the 55 whereas I don’t have any 50ish Sony primes but am possibly open to the 1.4.

In the meantime I’ve decided that I’m going for the 1.2 for sure.

The 50 GM is not available in Melbourne yet. I don’t think I would buy one without seeing it first, particularly given its size and weight. I just received my 35 GM today, and it is very similar to the 24 GM in terms of its form factor, and that is borderline for me.

Completely understandable. I’m used to some heavy lenses in the GFX system so the 50 will be downright lightweight in comparison. :)

I think you may have misunderstood my post. It seemed to me that he didn’t feel the 50 1.2 was offering *that* much more than the 55 whereas I don’t have any 50ish Sony primes but am possibly open to the 1.4.

In the meantime I’ve decided that I’m going for the 1.2 for sure.

understood.

I am considering getting the 1.2, too. Sounds like it may be a speed demon with 4 focus motors.

DigiDirect in Melbourne have the 50 GM now - go try it out! focus is lightning fast and the detail is excellent.

Definitely worth the upgrade. I only missed the 55mm when traveling, took the 35GM instead. Once I started noticing 55's CA I could no longer use it without a cringe in my face.

Well I did get. The 50GM is a fabulous lens. However, compared to the 55, it is a beast to carry around. Nevertheless, it renders beautifully and has very fast AF. To reduce the bulk, I bought an old brass lens hood that only extends 2cm for protection. I don’t think it helps much as a hood, but it certainly helps when I put the camera down, lens first.

View the Latest Sony Lens Deals At: B&H Photo

Back