Welcome to Our Alpha Shooters Community Forum

We'd love to welcome you on board, join today!

Sony A7 IV With LA-EA5 and Maxxum Lenses

Brownie

Legendary Member
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Followers
Following
Name
Tim
Country
United States
City/State
SE Michigan
Finally got the LA-EA5 and had a quick try as the evening light faded. Tried out a 50/1.7, 70-210 and 75-300. It seems to work very well, probably better than when used on an original Maxxum. AF is actually much snappier than I expected, and yes, tracking works as advertised. Somewhat more limited but it was able to follow an airplane across the sky. You can't use DMF, but that was to be expected with screw drive lenses. Well worth the $250. I can't wait for the 80-200 APO to show up.

Finally got the LA-EA5 and had a quick try as the evening light faded. Tried out a 50/1.7, 70-210 and 75-300. It seems to work very well, probably better than when used on an original Maxxum. AF is actually much snappier than I expected, and yes, tracking works as advertised. Somewhat more limited but it was able to follow an airplane across the sky. You can't use DMF, but that was to be expected with screw drive lenses. Well worth the $250. I can't wait for the 80-200 APO to show up.
Oh wow I thought you were not buying the la-ea5, anyway good to see you get screw drive on the a7/4 and you are happy with it, personally I am sure you have done the right thing in getting the sony la-ea5. I wish I got screw drive option on a9 and a7iii because the minolta 200 2.8, 300 2.8, and 400 4.5 would get more camera time as would the sigma 500 4.5, the le-ea4 is so limited on the a9 and a7iii :)

Oh wow I thought you were not buying the la-ea5, anyway good to see you get screw drive on the a7/4 and you are happy with it, personally I am sure you have done the right thing in getting the sony la-ea5. I wish I got screw drive option on a9 and a7iii because the minolta 200 2.8, 300 2.8, and 400 4.5 would get more camera time as would the sigma 500 4.5, the le-ea4 is so limited on the a9 and a7iii :)
First I was, then I wasn't, then I was again...

Once I decided on the 70-200/2.8 I had no choice. After playing with it last night, I'm glad I did. We have a vacation coming in mid-summer, I'm going to test the 28-135 and 75-300 out some more. Those two would make a nice compact travel kit for walking around outdoors. I will probably leave the 100-400 home, although the 24-105 will likely win out over the 28-135.

Here you go @spudhead. I am pretty shocked at these results. I took the 75-300 out at lunch and did some testing. This first image is the 33MP SOOC jpeg, no processing.

DSC01627 by telecast, on Flickr

Here's the same image cropped to over 80% (MS's interpretation, I have no idea what that means!). The result is a 1.33MP Image. I'm at work so could only do some minor correction in MS photo viewer. Also added some sharpening and contrast with Flickr's software.

There's definitely some CA, not unusual for this lens, but the amount of detail in this massive crop is kind of impressive. It's way beyond any crop I'd ever consider posting and proves that these lenses can hold up to higher resolutions. I paid $14 for this lens. Now, that doesn't mean someone should run out and spend $250 on an adapter so they can use a $14 lens, but for people with a collection or those who wish to start one it's well worth it.

DSC01627 (2) by telecast, on Flickr

I'm soon to seek the EA5 for my α7ii. With Maxxi 24-105, 70-210 (both/3.5-4.5) and 100-300apo now in hand, the EA3 is too much of a compromise.

Is that the Big Beercan or the 'new' 75-300? I owned the latter for a while in 2010 with my A200, a decent lens. Always wanted to wrestle the Big B-east but I'm too old for it now.

I'm soon to seek the EA5 for my α7ii. With Maxxi 24-105, 70-210 (both/3.5-4.5) and 100-300apo now in hand, the EA3 is too much of a compromise.

Is that the Big Beercan or the 'new' 75-300? I owned the latter for a while in 2010 with my A200, a decent lens. Always wanted to wrestle the Big B-east but I'm too old for it now.
The EA5 won't AF screw drive lenses on an A7M2. It will only AF lenses with the motor in the lens. You need the EA4. I use an EA4 on my A7RM3, and the EA5 on my A7M4.

It's the first version 'big beercan'. By and large, the first versions were the best across the board. There are some exceptions, but they're few.

Here's a great resource from Sony. I have it set up for the A7M2. Scroll down and find your lens and click on it. Minolta Maxxum lenses are all the way at the bottom. A window will pop up with the various adapters. Click on each one and it will list the features available with that camera/adapter/lens combination.

https://support.d-imaging.sony.co.jp/www/cscs/lens_body/index.php?mdl=ILCE-7M2&area=gb&lang=en

Last edited:
Ok I'm fully equipped to make a decision now. Most owners rate EA3+ Tamron 70-300 A-mount over the EA4+ Minolta 100-300apo. Not massively better though, and the Tamron is definitely the more massive combo. Sucks to lose so many AF points with the EA4 :( but it's time to limit outlay and move stuff out.

Now my concern is resolution of the 24-105D and 100-300D on the a7Rii sensor. I'd expect the 24-105 to be as good as the base 28-70oss, but I'll check that too. For most shooting 42Mpx will be 'going to 11' on my guitar amp - but I want it to be worth doing. No doubt my technique will need improvement. I'd expect the secret telephoto (70-210/3.5-4.5) with lower top FL and a pinch more speed will be used more often.. again, tests will determine if my biases are true or the dreaded "Conventional Wisdom".

I can't recall if we've discussed this or not. Are you familiar with Dyxum.com? They have a massive A-Mount lens database with ratings, etc. I have the 100-400 APO which is similarly rated. The 100-300 is rated at 4.31 overall and 4.42 out of 5 for sharpness, the 100-400 is rated at 4.47 overall and 4.46. I'd say no difference at all. The biggest drawback of these lenses is flare. But color is typical spectacular Minolta.

These old lenses do well on the newer sensors. I hear people say all the time that the old lenses can't stand up to higher resolution sensors. Maybe that's true in some cases, but seemingly not with Minolta.

The A7RIII (same sensor as the A7RII) and 100-400, Cropped. And if I'm remembering correctly these were compressed RAW.
DSC04743 by telecast, on Flickr

DSC04490 by telecast, on Flickr

DSC04531 by telecast, on Flickr

The one thing to remember is that you need to check microfocus and adjust, since the LA-EA4 has the SLT mirror in it. I found my 100-400 back focusing. A setting of -4 corrected it. Had almost given up on the lens when I decided to check.

Last edited:
I can't speak to the 24-105, but the 28-135 is my favorite lens for walking around. It's highly rated and one you may want to consider over the 24-105. They can be had for about $70.

This is on the MKIV:
DSC07961 by telecast, on Flickr

DSC07985 by telecast, on Flickr

DSC08062 by telecast, on Flickr

New in Marketplace

Back