Followers
Following
Name
Tim
Country
United States
City/State
SE Michigan
I don't see an adapted lens forum anywhere, so I'm posting this here. Please move if it's in the wrong spot.

I've been thinking about an LA-EA5 since I bought the body to use my old Maxxum glass. I couldn't decide if I wanted to spend the money on this not knowing how well the old glass would stand up the higher res body or put the $250 into another lens. I did some poking around and found a Fotasy for $17 shipped.

Since A Mount glass doesn't have an aperture ring the adapter has one, but it's not graduated for obvious reasons. My work-around was to open the aperture wide, then set the shutter speed a stop or two slow depending on how much I wanted to stop down. Once I adjusted the aperture ring so the meter read correct exposure, I knew I was close enough

There is nothing scientific or even photographic about these shots, just random stuff to see if they perform well enough on the 33MP. Some subjects are duplicated. I didn't worry about sweet spots or anything else, just wanted to know how well they'd process. Results are actually pretty decent, better than expected considering the total investment in these lenses is somewhere south of $200. You can buy some of these for next to nothing. Some I got for free in Maxxum kits I bought for one or two pieces then sold what I didn't want. The 75-300 was listed as 'Ugly' at KEH for $14. There is nothing wrong with the lens. No marks, no dust, no scratches or dents and it works fine.

Lenses are the 50/1.7, 28-135, 35-105, 100-200, 70-210 (Beer can) and 75-300. Here are a couple of examples, there are two or three shots from each lens in the album.

This is from the 35-105. Old Minolta glass renders colors beautifully.
35-105 3 by telecast, on Flickr

The 28-135 in Macro. No, it's not true macro just like most lenses that say 'macro' aren't, but it does nice closeups.
28-135 M by telecast, on Flickr

More in the album:

I don't own much in the way of A-Mount outside of the Maxxum lenses and no real reason to buy any. I think I'll go ahead though and get the LA-EA5 for these lenses. These may be fun with the Fotasy adapter on the A6000 too.

Last edited:
Excellent results. I've been considering a Minolta 300 2.8 for this reason.

There are some really nice lenses, and some still get a good price. Minolta A-Mount 500mm Reflex lens gets top notch reviews. It's still a couple hundred dollars US, so not one of the really low-cost lenses. The 80-200 2.8 APO still sells for $600-800.

The 70-210 Beer Can f/4 internal zoom is the great grand-dad of the current Sony 70-200 series. Dyxum lists 41 A-Mount 70/80-200/210 lenses! The Beer can is the oldest with a 1985 release. Since the focal range isn't one of my favorites, I'll probably just use it instead of investing in a newer model.

There are some really nice lenses, and some still get a good price. Minolta A-Mount 500mm Reflex lens gets top notch reviews. It's still a couple hundred dollars US, so not one of the really low-cost lenses. The 80-200 2.8 APO still sells for $600-800.

The 70-210 Beer Can f/4 internal zoom is the great grand-dad of the current Sony 70-200 series. Dyxum lists 41 A-Mount 70/80-200/210 lenses! The Beer can is the oldest with a 1985 release. Since the focal range isn't one of my favorites, I'll probably just use it instead of investing in a newer model.
I have and do use a-mount a lot on adaptors on e-mount because I have the lenses and do not want to just go e-mount nuts unless the lenses are better or equal to the Minolta a-mount and Sony a-mount . I shoot wildlife and recently birds I have the Minolta 200 2.8 sharpest lens I ever put on a camera 300 2.8 Minolta rough condition since I sent it to be serviced and it came back months latter and the so called experts had made a massive mess of it but that is another story .400 Minolta wow 4.5, sigma 500 4.5 and the Sony 2.8 300 excellent Sony 70-200 2.8 . I have had the Minolta 80-200 2.8 great lens had the 300 f4 excellent. so used all of them with converters over the years, and adaptors recently although converters do not always work on adaptors and Minolta converters are matched to particular lenses apo and high speed etc , so as far as resolution there are articles all over the place on resolution etc and the idea they cannot resolve on digital seems to not be the case, the people who know and have tested the heck out of them state they will work well up to 100 plus megapixels. I see you have been on dyxum forum well fred on there is the master of all Minolta and older Sony lenses. Just bare in mind that a-mount on Sony e-mount works differently to native, Sony have tried to kill Sony a-mount and there adaptors have been built with limitations. so lea5 for ssm lenses in general! dependent on e-mount body! and lea 4 with most screw drive Minolta lenses depending on e-mount body the a9 has less options than a7r4 , its a bit of a mine field Gary

The A7-IV is compatible with the LA-EA5 and screw drive lenses. The LA-EA5 is the recommended adapter. Of the original 4 adapters, 2 are for APS-C and 2 are for FF. Of those sets, one each is for lenses with a motor, and one is for screw drive lenses. The LA-EA5 does both but is limited to a few of the newer bodies. I think A1, A7R-IV, A7-IV, and A6600

Sony's website lists which camera for which LA, and you can dig in and find specific lenses. The LA-EA5 is the only one that support AF on the 7IV. Like all of the LA series, there are limitations on AF and Tracking, but that's to be expected.

There's no conspiracy here with Sony trying to kill off A-Mount. They stopped making DSLRs, it's as simple as that. There's a lot more to moving from DSLR to Mirrorless than changing the metal bayonet on the lens. The move away from DSLR is natural. Mirrorless is better, smaller, lighter, fewer moving parts, focuses more accurately, and has a much shorter distance from the rear element to the sensor. Every other manufacturer is following suit, with the possible exception (so far) of Pentax. If Sony were trying to kill off A-Mount completely, they would never have introduced these adapters. The reason for limited functionality is the few electronics inside these old lenses, while new lenses are pretty much computers. Most of my A-Mounts are 35-37 years old. No one could expect the same functionality. But they will AF, and they will track. Maybe not in as low light, and maybe not out at the edges, but they'll function.

This link takes you to the A7 IV compatibility page. Click on a lens and it will pop open a window showing any limitations. The entire series of LA adapters will be across the top of the pop up, you can click on each one to see the compatibility. Scroll way down to the bottom to see the Konica-Minolta lenses.

You can also navigate to any Sony body from this page.

https://support.d-imaging.sony.co.j....php?mdl=ILCE-7M4&area=gb&lang=en#notes_adp_0

Last edited:
looks like you have done the leg work on the a7mk4 , I know on the a9 the screw drive lenses need the lea4 which came as a shock to me as I had just sold the lea4 and bought the lea5 and had to buy the lea4 again. I am not trying to say that sony have killed a-mount you mis- under stand what I was saying is just because a-mount is no longer made does not mean the lenses cannot be used or useful and I thought that was sort of your point as well. I am between mounts and have 3 e-mount bodies and 1 a-mount yes e-mount is the future but having spent a fortune on a-mount its hard to swallow, so I keep using what I have and slowly moving over to e-mount but with the reach I need the 400 2.8 and 600 f4 are not really going to happen

I am not trying to say that sony have killed a-mount you mis- under stand what I was saying
I'm confused then, because this sentence from your previous post:
Sony have tried to kill Sony a-mount and there adaptors have been built with limitations.

Indicates the exact opposite.

I agree the old lenses have functional limitations as compared to the new lenses, but that's a product of the lenses themselves, not limitations built into the adapters. If anything, Sony has done a huge favor for people (such as yourself) with a large selection of A-Mount glass by introducing these adapters.

I'm confused then, because this sentence from your previous post:

Indicates the exact opposite.

I agree the old lenses have functional limitations as compared to the new lenses, but that's a product of the lenses themselves, not limitations built into the adapters. If anything, Sony has done a huge favor for people (such as yourself) with a large selection of A-Mount glass by introducing these adapters.
So in the case of the a9 there is a screw drive in the body but Sony have chosen to not allow that body to drive screw lenses with the lea5 but the lea4 does , but I think the a74r will drive screw lenses with the lea5? anyway I am not trying confuse sorry for that . I think you may be aware of the monster adaptor which is a lea4 hack and some guy in China has seemingly made a load of old lenses work on e-mount and I think not just sony

So in the case of the a9 there is a screw drive in the body but Sony have chosen to not allow that body to drive screw lenses with the lea5 but the lea4 does , but I think the a74r will drive screw lenses with the lea5? anyway I am not trying confuse sorry for that . I think you may be aware of the monster adaptor which is a lea4 hack and some guy in China has seemingly made a load of old lenses work on e-mount and I think not just sony
You're saying there's a screw drive built into the A9? Why would they build a screw drive into an E-Mount body? Photos don't show a screw drive in the A9 or A9II. A

Both the LA-EA4 and 5 have motors built into the adapters themselves to drive the lenses, they connect back to the camera with the lens contacts. As far as I know there are no screw drives built into any of the Mirrorless, or for that matter E-Mount bodies.

You're saying there's a screw drive built into the A9? Why would they build a screw drive into an E-Mount body? Photos don't show a screw drive in the A9 or A9II. A

Both the LA-EA4 and 5 have motors built into the adapters themselves to drive the lenses, they connect back to the camera with the lens contacts. As far as I know there are no screw drives built into any of the Mirrorless, or for that matter E-Mount bodies.
ok I just checked you are correct no screw drive on a9 or a7iii! I thought I had understood why the la-e5 did not drive the minolta screw drive lenses on the a9 because someone on a forum told me but I never checked! so does it mean that its software in the a9 or the adaptor that stops auto focus? looked on sony site and the la-ea5 will not drive screw lenses on a9 and thats the case I have the a9 and adaptor but when checking the list the a7r4 will drive the screw drive with la-ea5? please correct me if wrong! I have the la-ea4 so makes little difference to me apart from size and the 5 is nicer on the body. So I know you will find some really nice glass for your camera at super low prices, so I will look forward to see what you get and how it works for you regards Gary

Correct. You need the adapter.

Correct. You need the adapter.
yep I can not believe I never looked before, I just recall think great la-ea5 job done, no more 3 or 4 version then after buying the 5 it was there again no auto focus for screw drive so bought a 4 again.

@Brownie I think this is a good idea for a thread, there must be a number of users out there who want to adapt older glass to e-mount.
I might actually want to dip my toe into this as well. If anyone remembers from another thread I posted, I inherited a Maxxum camera and two lenses. I will post pictures of the nicer of the two lenses shortly.

Does this look about right?
20220207_075713.jpg
  • SM-G975U
  • 4.3 mm
  • ƒ/2.4
  • 1/60 sec
  • ISO 250

20220207_075729.jpg
  • SM-G975U
  • 4.3 mm
  • ƒ/2.4
  • 1/60 sec
  • ISO 250

20220207_080602.jpg
  • SM-G975U
  • 4.3 mm
  • ƒ/1.5
  • 1/40 sec
  • ISO 640

ok I just checked you are correct no screw drive on a9 or a7iii! I thought I had understood why the la-e5 did not drive the minolta screw drive lenses on the a9 because someone on a forum told me but I never checked! so does it mean that its software in the a9 or the adaptor that stops auto focus? looked on sony site and the la-ea5 will not drive screw lenses on a9 and thats the case I have the a9 and adaptor but when checking the list the a7r4 will drive the screw drive with la-ea5? please correct me if wrong! I have the la-ea4 so makes little difference to me apart from size and the 5 is nicer on the body. So I know you will find some really nice glass for your camera at super low prices, so I will look forward to see what you get and how it works for you regards Gary
Click that link I posted. Click the 'Choose mode' dropdown. Go to the A9 body. Scroll down and click a lens you want to use. The Konica Minolta are down at the bottom. Once you click the lens a window will open. It will have the various adapters across the top, with a description of the functionality of each one as you click it.

The A9 uses the LE-AE4. It is not compatible with the 5. It looks like the 5 is only compatible with the A6600, the A7R-IV, and the A7-IV, and the A1. I'll edit my post so as not to lead anyone astray

That's actually a really nice lens. It's a second generation, introduced in 1998. Like most Maxxum lenses it ain't worth a hoot money-wise, but it should take magnificent photos.

Dyxum rates it as overall 4.67 out if 5. Sharpness is 4.64, color is 4.84 (typical for old Minolta glass), and flare control 4.3, also typical for Minolta old glass. For that matter, a lot of old lenses suffer from flare, it was the best technology they had.

What's really interesting is that in many cases the Sony version is identical to the Minolta from a glass and function standpoint. They gave them a fresh look and rebranded them.

Here's a link to the Dyxum page for the lens. It will give you all the stats and link to eBay value. There are many links on each lens page for reviews, sister lenses, etc. If you have an interest in these you should poke around their lens database some, it is really extensive.

Click that link I posted. Click the 'Choose mode' dropdown. Go to the A9 body. Scroll down and click a lens you want to use. The Konica Minolta are down at the bottom. Once you click the lens a window will open. It will have the various adapters across the top, with a description of the functionality of each one as you click it.

The A9 uses the LE-AE4. It is not compatible with the 5. It looks like the 5 is only compatible with the A6600, the A7R-IV, and the A7-IV, and the A1. I'll edit my post so as not to lead anyone astray
ok I used the link and the le-ae5 works with my ssm 300 2.8 on a9 and a7iii I have images up on here from both bodies, and yes the 4 drives the old screw drive minolta and sony lenses I have On the A9, A7III , I can not understand why I have never looked at the mount a on a7iii and a9 properly before. So according to the list the 5 will drive the old minolta primes ie 300 2.8 400 4.5? on the a74r is that the way it reads to you as I dont have the a74r ? but may get at some point. It just shows you should not take advise from random guy on forums as I did without questioning.:eek: Have you got the a7mk 4? and if so what old glass are you looking for and also what do you shoot subject wise

Thanks for the info Tim!
I doubt I will invest in the LEA5 just to use this lens. At that price, I'm halfway to the price of the excellent Sigma 56mm f1.4 for my APSC camera. So this is the adapter I am thinking to get:
$31 for manual controls (aperture on adapter).
That would work just fine. I bought the one in the link below for about half the cost, same idea. Manual aperture controls. It fits the camera very well but is a bit tight on the lens side which is good. no wobble. I figured for a trial basis and what little it'd get used, seemed like a good price. I usually use Fotodiox. I have a ton of them for my Panasonic but couldn't find one in A to E. The Fotasy seems to be fine.

Fotasy on eBay

ok I used the link and the le-ae5 works with my ssm 300 2.8 on a9 and a7iii I have images up on here from both bodies, and yes the 4 drives the old screw drive minolta and sony lenses I have On the A9, A7III , I can not understand why I have never looked at the mount a on a7iii and a9 properly before. So according to the list the 5 will drive the old minolta primes ie 300 2.8 400 4.5? on the a74r is that the way it reads to you as I dont have the a74r ? but may get at some point. It just shows you should not take advise from random guy on forums as I did without questioning.:eek: Have you got the a7mk 4? and if so what old glass are you looking for and also what do you shoot subject wise
Don't misread the list. Any of these will work, but which ones will autofocus are limited. The LA-EA5 will not AF on your bodies. It will work as a manual adapter. The 5 will drive the screw drive lenses but ONLY on the cameras I listed previously. Any other camera will be manual. At that point it's not worth the money, just get a cheap manual adapter like @FowlersFreeTime is doing.

These examples are from the A9 page

First one. The LA-EA5 is highlighted (white, not grey). Note the top line:

A9 no AF LA-EA5.JPG

Now the LA-EA4. Note the top line no longer says autofocus cannot be used.

A9 AF LA-EA4.JPG

If you want full functionality, then you need to get the right one. I have the Mk IV. I have the glass that's listed in my original post up top, plus a Tamron APS-C 17-50 and a Tamron FF 200-500, neither of which I have any interest in and both of which will be sold. None of my Minolta glass will get used for critical stuff, they'll be for fun. Street, landscape, etc. Critical shots like Air shows and my work at the Dragway will be with modern E-Mount lenses.

Don't misread the list. Any of these will work, but which ones will autofocus are limited. The LA-EA5 will not AF on your bodies. It will work as a manual adapter. The 5 will drive the screw drive lenses but ONLY on the cameras I listed previously. Any other camera will be manual. At that point it's not worth the money, just get a cheap manual adapter like @FowlersFreeTime is doing.

These examples are from the A9 page

First one. The LA-EA5 is highlighted (white, not grey). Note the top line:

View attachment 16704

Now the LA-EA4. Note the top line has changed and the second line is a warning about noise when the aperture is adjusted:

View attachment 16705

If you want full functionality, then you need to get the right one. I have the Mk IV. I have the glass that's listed in my original post up top, plus a Tamron APS-C 17-50 and a Tamron FF 200-500, neither of which I have any interest in and both of which will be sold. None of my Minolta glass will get used for critical stuff, they'll be for fun. Street, landscape, etc. Critical shots like Air shows and my work at the Dragway will be with modern E-Mount lenses.
under stood as I said I already have both the 5 and 4 , the 5 autofocuses with my ssm 300 2.8 sony and 70-400 ssm g2 and 70-200 ssm g1 on the a9 and a7iii , 300 2.8 has been on the a9 today thats why I have the 5 ,and the 4 does the screw drive on both bodies been using that for 2 years now !
tiger 1.jpg
  • ILCE-7M3
  • 300mm F2.8 G
  • 300.0 mm
  • ƒ/3.5
  • 1/400 sec
  • ISO 400
tiger.jpg
  • ILCE-7M3
  • 300mm F2.8 G
  • 300.0 mm
  • ƒ/3.5
  • 1/400 sec
  • ISO 400

Got it, I missed the SSM part. Yes, it should handle all but the screw drive lenses.

Nice shots!

Got it, I missed the SSM part. Yes, it should handle all but the screw drive lenses.

Nice shots!
ok ,there really is some great glass at knock down prices out there you mentioned the 80-200 I had that and it was nice the colours are wonderful, ok good luck and I would interested in the results from the cheaper adaptors out there Gary

ok ,there really is some great glass at knock down prices out there you mentioned the 80-200 I had that and it was nice the colours are wonderful, ok good luck and I would interested in the results from the cheaper adaptors out there Gary
All of the shots in the album I posted the link to were made with a $17 Fotasy adapter.

This thread has had me looking at the Minolta legacy glass damn you. Now I want a 300 2.8 and a 400 4.5 and a 600 f4 :)

This thread has had me looking at the Minolta legacy glass damn you. Now I want a 300 2.8 and a 400 4.5 and a 600 f4 :)
What's worse, I've got myself looking at them!

I think that in this case there's a point of diminishing returns. I enjoy using inexpensive adapted lenses, but spending thousands of dollars for adapted lenses makes me squeamish. o_O

There is a 600 minolta on ebay in the uk but you wont like I tried A mates and they weigh in at 15 plus pounds its a night mare to get the correct version teleconverter ,although I am sorted on that front, the minolta 600 takes a little to get it settled on digital but can be done. the 300 2.8 is fast even on the adaptor and in crop mode on your a7r4 will be great. I got the 300 when everyone was getting out and it was a bargain! the 400 4.5 is light and slower to focus but wow the colours are awesome its difficult to understand that glass that old is so good

What's crazy is the amount of workmanship and labor that went into lenses back then, regardless of manufacturer. The design alone would take multiple design engineers months, nowadays a computer does it in fairly short order. Same with grinding the glass, now computers control everything. It's unfortunate for photography as a whole that the very same thing that's making amazing lenses and bodies is killing the industry.

There is a 600 minolta on ebay in the uk but you wont like I tried A mates and they weigh in at 15 plus pounds its a night mare to get the correct version teleconverter ,although I am sorted on that front, the minolta 600 takes a little to get it settled on digital but can be done. the 300 2.8 is fast even on the adaptor and in crop mode on your a7r4 will be great. I got the 300 when everyone was getting out and it was a bargain! the 400 4.5 is light and slower to focus but wow the colours are awesome its difficult to understand that glass that old is so good
Cheers for that, yes the 600 is a want but won't buy. I am most likely to go for the 300, it will be perfect for Zoo stuff, as you know, but that 400 is cheap for a really nice lens. Also tempted by the 300 f4, CEX are selling them cheap.

Back