Your Photo of the Week

Yep, these guys are really fast and hard to capture! Unfortunately a lot of viewers don't realize this, either, and either just move on past an image of a Kingfisher or maybe give it a "like" if it occurs to them....

Took the kiddo on a short trip and sat beside her as the Mrs drove us. Snapped this shot of her staring at me, and though it was not sharp due to bad choice of settings, it spoke volumes to me...

DSC03431.jpg
  • Sony E 35mm f/1.8 OSS
  • 35.0 mm
  • ƒ/1.7999999523163
  • 1/50 sec
  • ISO 100

Week 2, Year 3... One of the local Barn Owls just prior to diving on a mouse. Quite a big crop on this, but I love the lighting.
DSC07919 copy.jpg
  • ILCE-7RM4
  • FE 200-600mm F5.6-6.3 G OSS
  • 600.0 mm
  • ƒ/7.1
  • 1/3200 sec
  • ISO 1000

From Saturday's shoot. A little HSS practice with the FJ400.

JBP05434bw.jpg
  • ILCE-7M4
  • E 70-180mm F2.8 A056
  • 96.0 mm
  • ƒ/4.5
  • 1/2500 sec
  • ISO 100

Week 3, year 3. In no way a close, detailed shot, but this Merlin is a lifer bird, and one that is very hard to get in the UK. They are very much like Kestrels, and I took this shot thinking it was, but on closer inspection had my doubts. It has since been verified by a couple of people with greater knowledge than me. Another reason to love the cropping power on the RiV, the bird was at least 50 yards away.
Merlin Landscape.jpg
  • ILCE-7RM4
  • 600.0 mm
  • ƒ/7.1
  • 1/2500 sec
  • ISO 640

Week 3 completed now:

The resident female Kingfisher paid another visit! This time she obligingly posed for me on top of one of the posts on the pier:

View attachment 6498
One of the few examples where the female of species has brighter plumage than the male. Why, for the same reason female plumage is subdued, to provide camouflage when on there nest. Kingfishers nest in holes/burrows in the muddy edges of water, hence the brown belt below her neck helps her blend in. One of my favorite birds....obviously. Great shot, thx

Took the kiddo on a short trip and sat beside her as the Mrs drove us. Snapped this shot of her staring at me, and though it was not sharp due to bad choice of settings, it spoke volumes to me...
Lovely photo Chris, she's a gorgeous little girl. They do grow so quickly!

Due to some health issues I've not taken too many photos this year. Thankfully I'm out and about a little more now. Here's a little stonechat on our local common.

Stonechat-DSC09292-2048px.jpg
  • ILCE-1
  • 600.0 mm
  • ƒ/6.3
  • 1/2000 sec
  • ISO 1250

Due to some health issues I've not taken too many photos this year. Thankfully I'm out and about a little more now. Here's a little stonechat on our local common.

View attachment 33678
Glad you're out and about a little more Tim. Best wishes for a speedy return to normal or better.

I jumped off that a long time ago

We were driving past and I'm looking at that bridge thinking why it is on such an angle. As I drove on a bit it clicked that it's an island suburb and obviously will make for a cool super wide angle shot.

A lot of these images we take, especially Sydney City and Darling Harbour for me bring back some funny youthful memories for us guys. 😀

Back