Your Photo of the Week

heron 2023 47.jpg
  • ILCE-9
  • FE 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 GM OSS + 1.4X Teleconverter
  • 560.0 mm
  • ƒ/8
  • 1/2500 sec
  • ISO 1600

Week 14. The Little Terns are back for the short breeding season., starting with gifting Sandeels to the females.
DSC03842-2 copy.jpg
  • ILCE-7RM4
  • FE 200-600mm F5.6-6.3 G OSS
  • 600.0 mm
  • ƒ/7.1
  • 1/4000 sec
  • ISO 1000

Slivers.jpeg
  • ILCE-7RM5
  • FE 90mm F2.8 Macro G OSS
  • 90.0 mm
  • ƒ/10
  • 1/200 sec
  • ISO 12800

Used to love walking along there --- must be Scupltures by the Sea at some point soon, or did it pass already?
Not yet. We have Vivid light festival at the moment. I told myself I’d go into the city every night this week and experience it, instead, I opened a nice sherry cask single malt . :)

Not yet. We have Vivid light festival at the moment. I told myself I’d go into the city every night this week and experience it, instead, I opened a nice sherry cask single malt . :)

Do yourself a favour and pick up a couple of the Glenfiddich 14 year Bourbon Cask Reserve. Only been out for a bit and on special at Dan's currently for $99. I got three of them when it got released two months ago, and got two more yesterday for this price. Even the RRP is good value so $99 is crazy. 🚀

The new week has barely started and already I've shot what I think for me will be the highlight, even though it is not technically perfect: our resident Great Blue Heron flying by with a hitchhiker, a red-winged blackbird, catching a ride....

Hitching a Ride.jpeg
  • ILCE-1
  • FE 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 GM OSS + 1.4X Teleconverter
  • 560.0 mm
  • ƒ/11
  • 1/1250 sec
  • ISO 2500

The new week has barely started and already I've shot what I think for me will be the highlight, even though it is not technically perfect: our resident Great Blue Heron flying by with a hitchhiker, a red-winged blackbird, catching a ride....

View attachment 39917
That's it, shut down the internet. Game over.

View attachment 39917
nice talk about right place and time, but seriously did it take long to glue that little guy on the herons back ;)

I was happily shooting the GBH when I noticed motion a bit out of my full sight and camera range; just kept on shooting and was surprised when the Red-winged Blackbird came into my full view, flying somewhat above and slightly behind the GBH, and my first thought was, "oh, isn't that cute, the little guy is chasing the big one!" I've seen that happen a few times with an Osprey who occasionally swings by the lake in search of fishy goodies and almost immediately smaller birds start following and heckling him. But this? Something quite unexpected!

To my astonishment, the Red-winged Blackbird proceeded to land right on the GBH's back and it's a wonder I was able to shoot the scene as I was so surprised and totally mesmerized, staring at this weird sight..... The GBH, unfazed, just kept flying and his little passenger rode along for a bit, then took off on his own again, parting ways with his free ride. By this time they were also getting a bit too far away for continued good shooting so I just watched as the GBH went one way while his little buddy went in another direction.

Nope, no tricks, no AI -- this really happened and sure made my day!

View attachment 39917
Awesome capture! You know what it reminded me of immediately?

690575main_endeavour_final_flight_6_full.jpg

:LOL:

Week 15. A Juvenile Whitethroat with a Scorpion Fly and Caterpillar. A nice find at How Hill today.
DSC04510 copy.jpg
  • ILCE-7RM4
  • FE 200-600mm F5.6-6.3 G OSS
  • 600.0 mm
  • ƒ/7.1
  • 1/1000 sec
  • ISO 2000

I had the chance to shoot a high school graduation ceremony this past week and this was one of my favorite candid shots just as they were declared graduates.
Grad2023-200.jpg
  • ILCE-7RM5
  • 28-70mm F2.8 DG DN | Contemporary 021
  • 28.0 mm
  • ƒ/2.8
  • 1/250 sec
  • ISO 1600

I think this is a young female reed bunting but as you all know I am often wrong so please correct me if that is the case
corn bunting 2023 2.jpg
  • ILCE-9
  • Sony FE 200–600mm F5.6–6.3 G OSS (SEL200600G)
  • 600.0 mm
  • ƒ/6.3
  • 1/2500 sec
  • ISO 2000

Last edited:
Female Reed Bunting Gaz. Nice shot

Female Reed Bunting Gaz. Nice shot
Thanks Kev this bird id is a bit of a minefield books and internet often have drawn images rather than actual photos, add in male female and young oh my godo_O I have so little time to shoot never mind id the critters

Back