Welcome to Our Alpha Shooters Community Forum

We'd love to welcome you on board, join today!

Birds Hornbill having breakfast

etiennescamera

Well Known Member
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Followers
Following
Name
Etienne Steenkamp
Country
South Africa
Saw this Yellow-billed Hornbill in the middle of the road, snacking on a grasshopper. It took about 10 minutes and several attempts to swallow the grasshopper. In the process, it would toss it into the air and catch it, doing this several times. Lucky to catch one of these episodes on this photo.

_DS90686.jpg
  • ILCE-9M2
  • Sony FE 200–600mm F5.6–6.3 G OSS (SEL200600G)
  • 600.0 mm
  • ƒ/6.3
  • 1/500 sec
  • ISO 100

Last edited:
Big breakfast! Great pic

Wonderful shot! I saw a hornbill for the first time at the Indianapolis Zoo! Striking bird and one of my favorite shots from that day.

For me I would be so happy to see such a bird and I can only say thank you for your wonderful image of this one.
As I have said some bird and animals we get to see in forums and places like this give us the chance to see
real life shots and not just shot in where people are paid to get them.
There to me is a difference as this shot was taken with a passion to get a good shot and to share it.
And I thank you for you doing this so we can see them and this one, as I would more than likely never see one
doing this but your passion to show it how it really is so good. Very well done.

For me I would be so happy to see such a bird and I can only say thank you for your wonderful image of this one.
As I have said some bird and animals we get to see in forums and places like this give us the chance to see
real life shots and not just shot in where people are paid to get them.
There to me is a difference as this shot was taken with a passion to get a good shot and to share it.
And I thank you for you doing this so we can see them and this one, as I would more than likely never see one
doing this but your passion to show it how it really is so good. Very well done.
Thank you for your kind words. It truly is a privilege to be able to see and photograph the abundant bird and animal life in our National Parks in SA. Interestingly, this photo was taken on a trip to Kgalagadi Transfrontier Park on which we initially hoped to see and photograph lots of lion, cheetah and leopards, but due to good rains in the preceding rainy season the grass was very high and the big cats remained mostly hidden. As a result, I focused on the abundant bird life, in the process working on improving my bird photography skills and also learning a lot about the interesting birds in the Park. Luckily I had some good apps and books to assist with identification of the birds.

Now I'm not hungry for dinner!

New in Marketplace

Back