Followers
Following
Name
Tim
Country
United States
City/State
SE Michigan
I decided to brave the cold today and headed out to nearby Sterling State Park on Lake Erie. The sun was shining and the wind had died down to a dull roar. I had about 2 hours before the football game and was hoping to see something photo-worthy. After getting into the park I drove the main road toward the beach. As I neared, I saw a few cars at the side of the road and a couple people with cameras. A herd of whitetail deer were browsing the vegetation just off the road. They definitely have their winter coats on, gone are the sleek, gleaming coats of the rut.
DSC04983.jpg
  • ILCE-1
  • E 50-400mm F4.5-6.3 A067
  • 400.0 mm
  • ƒ/8
  • 1/500 sec
  • ISO 100
DSC04987.jpg
  • ILCE-1
  • 400.0 mm
  • ƒ/8
  • 1/500 sec
  • ISO 125

They didn't stick around long. I drove down to the beach and took a few shots but got out quickly since the wind was blowing pretty steadily out in the open.

DSC04995.jpg
  • ILCE-1
  • 236.0 mm
  • ƒ/8
  • 1/1000 sec
  • ISO 125
DSC04991.jpg
  • ILCE-1
  • 106.0 mm
  • ƒ/8
  • 1/500 sec
  • ISO 100
DSC04997.jpg
  • ILCE-1
  • 50.0 mm
  • ƒ/8
  • 1/1000 sec
  • ISO 320

I decided to head home since there wasn't much else to see. On the way out I stopped at a trailhead area that I knew had a picturesque bridge a short ways from the parking lot. I was heading toward the bridge when I noticed about 12-15 people looking up, and all of them with cameras. A tree with berries was loaded with cardinals.

DSC05004.jpg
  • ILCE-1
  • 400.0 mm
  • ƒ/6.3
  • 1/1000 sec
  • ISO 125
DSC05005.jpg
  • ILCE-1
  • 400.0 mm
  • ƒ/6.3
  • 1/1000 sec
  • ISO 125
DSC05020.jpg
  • ILCE-1
  • 400.0 mm
  • ƒ/6.3
  • 1/1000 sec
  • ISO 125
DSC05023.jpg
  • ILCE-1
  • 400.0 mm
  • ƒ/6.3
  • 1/1000 sec
  • ISO 125
DSC05035.jpg
  • ILCE-1
  • 400.0 mm
  • ƒ/6.3
  • 1/1000 sec
  • ISO 400
DSC05038.jpg
  • ILCE-1
  • 400.0 mm
  • ƒ/6.3
  • 1/1000 sec
  • ISO 400

Near the tree were a couple more photographers looking up into a pine tree. I walked over and the guy pointed up and said: "A Northern Saw-Whet Owl." These birds are common in Northern Michigan, not so common around here. Add to it they're extremely nocturnal and are usually hidden way up in the trees and sightings are rare. This little one was less than 10' away. The man said he was from NE Ohio and had heard there is a pair here in the park, so he drove up to try and catch some shots. This was one of his bucket-list birds. Too bad the tree was so thick and the little guy was so sleepy. Still, I'm lucky to have had the opportunity.

DSC05011.jpg
  • ILCE-1
  • 400.0 mm
  • ƒ/6.3
  • 1/1000 sec
  • ISO 800
DSC05013.jpg
  • ILCE-1
  • 400.0 mm
  • ƒ/6.3
  • 1/1000 sec
  • ISO 640
DSC05016.jpg
  • ILCE-1
  • 400.0 mm
  • ƒ/6.3
  • 1/1000 sec
  • ISO 800

Oh yeah, here's the bridge:

DSC05029.jpg
  • ILCE-1
  • 50.0 mm
  • ƒ/6.3
  • 1/1000 sec
  • ISO 125

Very glad I made the effort. Got some cool stuff I hadn't planned on, and got home in time for the game.

Last edited:
Awesome shots! Love the colors in the owl shots and love the female Red Cardinal!

How is your experience with the A1 versus the A7IV?

Regarding to shooting owls during daytime, this is something to keep in mind (Owl etiquette). Owls are easily disturbed and need their sleep during the day to hunt during the night. When they have to keep paying attention to birders and photographers it can mean they get to tired to hunt. I just wanted to point this out, I was not there so I don't know how it went. Consider it as continued education :)

Awesome shots! Love the colors in the owl shots and love the female Red Cardinal!

How is your experience with the A1 versus the A7IV?

Regarding to shooting owls during daytime, this is something to keep in mind (Owl etiquette). Owls are easily disturbed and need their sleep during the day to hunt during the night. When they have to keep paying attention to birders and photographers it can mean they get to tired to hunt. I just wanted to point this out, I was not there so I don't know how it went. Consider it as continued education :)
Not a lot of difference so far, just shooting in M/Auto ISO. I don't think I'll be able to really appreciate it until it gets to the track in the spring. Of course the added MP over the A7 IV are nice, but not that many more than the A7R III I traded in. I am going to have to get the camera into the kinds of situations it is intended for, not just single frame clicks of mostly static objects. That probably won't be until the weather warms some.

As to the owls, thanks, but that may be the only owl I ever shoot in my life. Running across them by accident is the most likely, I certainly don't go looking for them. Everyone was being quiet and respectful, and he was snoozing pretty soundly. You can see he tried to open his eyes to a sound in the second shot.

You lucky so and so I told you before just get out and shoot Tim is that metadata you posted? a1 I thought this was on the need to know (y)

You lucky so and so I told you before just get out and shoot Tim is that metadata you posted? a1 I thought this was on the need to know (y)
Not going to remain a secret forever! :ROFLMAO: I just didn't want to crow about it.

Really nice post with a variety of subjects. Worth the walk in the cold, I'd say!

I decided to brave the cold today and headed out to nearby Sterling State Park on Lake Erie. The sun was shining and the wind had died down to a dull roar. I had about 2 hours before the football game and was hoping to see something photo-worthy. After getting into the park I drove the main road toward the beach. As I neared, I saw a few cars at the side of the road and a couple people with cameras. A herd of whitetail deer were browsing the vegetation just off the road. They definitely have their winter coats on, gone are the sleek, gleaming coats of the rut.
View attachment 54206View attachment 54207

They didn't stick around long. I drove down to the beach and took a few shots but got out quickly since the wind was blowing pretty steadily out in the open.

View attachment 54209View attachment 54208View attachment 54210

I decided to head home since there wasn't much else to see. On the way out I stopped at a trailhead area that I knew had a picturesque bridge a short ways from the parking lot. I was heading toward the bridge when I noticed about 12-15 people looking up, and all of them with cameras. A tree with berries was loaded with cardinals.

View attachment 54211View attachment 54212View attachment 54213View attachment 54214View attachment 54215View attachment 54216

Near the tree were a couple more photographers looking up into a pine tree. I walked over and the guy pointed up and said: "A Northern Saw-Whet Owl." These birds are common in Northern Michigan, not so common around here. Add to it they're extremely nocturnal and are usually hidden way up in the trees and sightings are rare. This little one was less than 10' away. The man said he was from NE Ohio and had heard there is a pair here in the park, so he drove up to try and catch some shots. This was one of his bucket-list birds. Too bad the tree was so thick and the little guy was so sleepy. Still, I'm lucky to have had the opportunity.

View attachment 54221View attachment 54222View attachment 54223

View attachment 54224

Very glad I made the effort. Got some cool stuff I hadn't planned on, and got home in time for the game.

Fantastic pictures. I particularly like the one of the log and the trees in the snow, the first bird picture with the berries and the first one of the owl. It was a nice walkabout overall: sometimes you just have to make the effort, beautiful moments are waiting for you.

Looks like a cracking trip out Tim! Amazing shots. I love the owl and the cardinals.

Never say never, eh! Great little outing.

View attachment 54206View attachment 54207

View attachment 54209View attachment 54208View attachment 54210

View attachment 54211View attachment 54212View attachment 54213View attachment 54214View attachment 54215View attachment 54216

View attachment 54221View attachment 54222View attachment 54223

View attachment 54224

A successful day out! Nice photos. I like the fourth shot best.

A successful day out! Nice photos. I like the fourth shot best.
I keep meaning to respond to this. I took that almost as an afterthought as I was walking down to the beach and didn't expect much out of it, but it's one of my favorites. It definitely evokes a feeling of a cold, bleak winter. I probably should've gotten rid of the branches in the upper left corner.

I keep meaning to respond to this. I took that almost as an afterthought as I was walking down to the beach and didn't expect much out of it, but it's one of my favorites. It definitely evokes a feeling of a cold, bleak winter. I probably should've gotten rid of the branches in the upper left corner.
Tim, just for fun can you remove the tree limbs on the upper left and (you may not like this) replace the sky or enhance the sky? Just for fun.

Tim, just for fun can you remove the tree limbs on the upper left and (you may not like this) replace the sky or enhance the sky? Just for fun.
Never in a million years would I replace the sky.

I kinda knew that, but I had to ask!

I like the sky in that shot anyway. It's a typical Great Lakes winter sky.

Back