Name
Ed Galea
Country
United Kingdom
City/State
London
CC Welcome
  1. Yes
Local Blackheath artist gets quite a bit of attention from passing kids and a photographer!
artists_on_heath-3.jpg
  • ILCE-7M4
  • FE 70-200mm F2.8 GM OSS II
  • 200.0 mm
  • ƒ/11
  • 1/200 sec
  • ISO 320
artists_on_heath-2.jpg
  • ILCE-7M4
  • 200.0 mm
  • ƒ/11
  • 1/200 sec
  • ISO 400
artists_on_heath-5.jpg
  • ILCE-7M4
  • 200.0 mm
  • ƒ/11
  • 1/200 sec
  • ISO 250
artists_on_heath-6.jpg
  • ILCE-7M4
  • 70.0 mm
  • ƒ/11
  • 1/80 sec
  • ISO 500

Last edited:
Nice life study

Nice life study
Thanks Kev. He was a very nice chap. He is usually a studio painter (he has a local studio) and mainly does portraits, but has recently ventured outside to try his hand on landscapes.

The artist was back, working today out in the cold. It was about 4C today, note the artist is wearing gloves.
artist_at_work-3.jpg
  • ILCE-7M4
  • 70.0 mm
  • ƒ/11
  • 1/800 sec
  • ISO 3200

The Millennium Bridge London, those walking towards the camera are approaching St.Pauls.
bridge-4.jpg
  • ILCE-7M4
  • 200.0 mm
  • ƒ/11
  • 1/200 sec
  • ISO 1000

Wow, that looks crazy intricate. How long has he been working on it? Nice shot.
Thanks Tim. Yes, it is extremely detailed. He must have been working on it for quite a few weeks. The first time I saw him at work was about 2 weeks ago. He doesn't come out every day though. He said he first does a very detailed pencil sketch which I assume takes quite a bit of time. He is working on the most intricate details, you can see individual bricks in part. After the pencil sketch he follows up with the painting. He also mentioned he was waiting to start the work after the trees and shrubs lost most of their foliage so he could get a good unobstructed view of the building. He has a pair of binoculars that he uses to check on the details after every other brush stroke, so you can imagine how long it takes - photography is much faster!

Thanks Tim. Yes, it is extremely detailed. He must have been working on it for quite a few weeks. The first time I saw him at work was about 2 weeks ago. He doesn't come out every day though. He said he first does a very detailed pencil sketch which I assume takes quite a bit of time. He is working on the most intricate details, you can see individual bricks in part. After the pencil sketch he follows up with the painting. He also mentioned he was waiting to start the work after the trees and shrubs lost most of their foliage so he could get a good unobstructed view of the building. He has a pair of binoculars that he uses to check on the details after every other brush stroke, so you can imagine how long it takes - photography is much faster!
That's dedication. Please do keep checking in on him and posting his progress. Tell him he's gone viral! :p

That's dedication. Please do keep checking in on him and posting his progress. Tell him he's gone viral! :p
I will indeed! I asked permission if I could take photographs of him at work and he was fine about it. I also asked if he minded if I post them on social media, and again, he said didn't mind, but he said he knows nothing of social media and doesn't use it!

I will indeed! I asked permission if I could take photographs of him at work and he was fine about it. I also asked if he minded if I post them on social media, and again, he said didn't mind, but he said he knows nothing of social media and doesn't use it!
That's why he has time to do what he does.

The artist returns. Aparantly, the bricks take a long time to paint. And we think post proocessing our images takes a long time!
painter_on_the_heath-1.jpg
  • ILCE-7M4
  • 70.0 mm
  • ƒ/11
  • 1/80 sec
  • ISO 320
painter_on_the_heath-2.jpg
  • ILCE-7M4
  • 70.0 mm
  • ƒ/11
  • 1/80 sec
  • ISO 250

Thanks for the update!
Hey Tim, I had a chat with him this afternoon, he think he'll have the job completed by next winter! He is going to have to stop soon as the leaves are beginning to obstruct his view.

Hey Tim, I had a chat with him this afternoon, he think he'll have the job completed by next winter! He is going to have to stop soon as the leaves are beginning to obstruct his view.
Man, that's a level of dedication most of us will never reach!

Back