Name
Gary Finn
Country
Australia
City/State
Coogee Beach
CC Welcome
  1. Yes
The weather has turned wild here, and my fingers are frozen after a couple of hours in the wind. Didn’t seem to bother these guys getting towed into the big surf.

IMG_6074.jpeg
  • ILCE-7M4
  • 135.0 mm
  • ƒ/11
  • 1/2000 sec
  • ISO 400

IMG_6044.jpeg
  • ILCE-7M4
  • 135.0 mm
  • ƒ/11
  • 1/2000 sec
  • ISO 500

IMG_6043.jpeg
  • ILCE-7M4
  • 135.0 mm
  • ƒ/11
  • 1/2000 sec
  • ISO 160

IMG_6088.jpeg
  • ILCE-7M4
  • 135.0 mm
  • ƒ/11
  • 1/2000 sec
  • ISO 800

Loving the second picture, Gaz. Nice catch.

The weather has turned wild here, and my fingers are frozen after a couple of hours in the wind. Didn’t seem to bother these guys getting towed into the big surf.

View attachment 38326

View attachment 38327

View attachment 38328

View attachment 38329
Gaz, nice photos! How far away were you when taking these shots? That 135mm lens did a nice job. I have been very interested in that lens but have been concerned about its reach. I like its precision and weight. Do you shoot much in APS-C mode? Thanks!

These surfers are all nuts!
Great photos Gary!

Gaz, nice photos! How far away were you when taking these shots? That 135mm lens did a nice job. I have been very interested in that lens but have been concerned about its reach. I like its precision and weight. Do you shoot much in APS-C mode? Thanks!
Thanks. I lamented not taking 200-600 as I knew the surf was up, (I could hear it from home) I just didn’t know if anybody would be crazy enough to surf it. These guys had boyancy vests with air tanks, as well as backup jet ski support to toe them in and recover. Otherwise, I’m sure they’d be dead.

I never use ASP-C mode. There is clear image zoom at 2x on the A7iv and with manual focus is hard to discern from using native focal length. These photos were a long way off, several hundred meters at least. I used clear image zoom with autofocus, then increased the depth of field. The 135mm is the sharpest ever and very versatile.

When the waves catch up! (He’s about to be choked)…..

IMG_6153.jpeg
  • ILCE-7M4
  • Sony FE 135mm F1.8
  • 135.0 mm
  • ƒ/11
  • 1/2000 sec
  • ISO 800

IMG_6154.jpeg
  • ILCE-7M4
  • Sony FE 135mm F1.8
  • 135.0 mm
  • ƒ/11
  • 1/2000 sec
  • ISO 800

Last edited:
Love the height/depth in the 1st one

And what is the board in the last - not seen one like that before
Hi,

That board is called a "foil" or "surf foil". It's got a kind of fin the extends under the water and acts kind of like an air foil, but under the water, to propel the board.

Hi,

That board is called a "foil" or "surf foil". It's got a kind of fin the extends under the water and acts kind of like an air foil, but under the water, to propel the board.
Yep. And this guy is absolutely nuts using it in that surf, but he has a full crew of support in the water to tow him in, as well as oxygen tank for the inevitable!

Back