Followers
Following
Name
Fred Hood
Country
United States
City/State
Arizona
This just up on SonyAlphaRumors: https://www.sonyalpharumors.com/rum...sharper-than-the-first-generation-24-70mm-gm/
Next week Sony will announce a new 20-70 f4 lens, which is reportedly sharper than the current 24-70 f4, in spite of having an extra 4mm reach on the wide end. Extending the wide end is hugely appealing to me. As I posted elsewhere I am having an internal debate about whether to get an A7rV to go all in with Sony or to get a Nikon Z9 (or wait for a rumored Z8) and go all in with Nikon Z. (Currently I am half Nikon F and half Sony E). This lens could sway me in the direction of Sony. I mean honestly I don't know when I have been this excited about a lens announcement.

When I first saw the announcement I thought it said sharper than 24-70 f4 (which I am sure it is). But re-reading it I see it actually says sharper than 24-70 f2.8 GM lens (version 1, but not necessarily version 2)! I so want this!

Looks pretty attractive. I'd certainly be happier to get the extra on the wide end over the long. Wouldn't be surprised if this is the same size as the 20mm G either.

I accidentally mistyped the thread title as 20-40 instead of 20-70. It is now corrected.

I want to love this for the short end, but 70 is too limiting on the long. I've heard a rumor they plan to improve the 24-105, that's the more likely choice for me.

What I REALLY want is a 20/24/28-135.

And the GM II 16-35MM will be in close proximity too...
If they shave weight off like they did with the GM II versions of the 24-70 and 70-200 that will make the decision harder. Does someone buy the 20-70 f4 and have one lens or buy a lightweight 16-35 AND 24-70 for two lenses but with a wider range and an f2.8 aperture? First World problems!

If they shave weight off like they did with the GM II versions of the 24-70 and 70-200 that will make the decision harder. Does someone buy the 20-70 f4 and have one lens or buy a lightweight 16-35 AND 24-70 for two lenses but with a wider range and an f2.8 aperture? First World problems!

I won't be upgrading, I like my version one just fine. But what I do know is that you definitely need to be able to go wider than 20mm when the situation calls.

Tell you another thing I have a bit of a pet hate for mate, aperture rings on zoom lenses. I love it on a prime because it makes it look a bit workman like, but on a zoom I think it looks cluttered and cheap, it makes it look like a kid designed it to me. What do you think of that?

Last edited by a moderator:
I want to love this for the short end, but 70 is too limiting on the long. I've heard a rumor they plan to improve the 24-105, that's the more likely choice for me.

What I REALLY want is a 20/24/28-135.

There is already a 28-135mm, but it's a big lens (even at f/4). (It annoys me because it doesn't come with a lens cap.) It looks like it was designed for video use - has geared zoom and focus rings.

There is already a 28-135mm, but it's a big lens (even at f/4). (It annoys me because it doesn't come with a lens cap.) It looks like it was designed for video use - has geared zoom and focus rings.
That's a Cine lens, and its size is ridiculous.

I've posted this before. The mounted lens is the Minolta 28-135 and the LA-EA5 adapter. That lens is 4-4.5. Yes, it'd have to be a bit larger for OSS and AF motors, but it doesn't need to be as big as the one you cite.

IMG_1511.jpg

Like I said, it’s a big lens! Even bigger with its massive lens hood (has a huge rectangular opening that one could use as a matte box, I guess).

Your photo makes me remember the days when lens barrels were shiny black (painted metal), and focus and zoom rings were knurled. My Voigtlanders still are, but I don’t recall any of my Sony G or GM lenses being - all matte finishes and rubber.

Last edited:
Hopefully the 20-70 is well enough corrected that the post shot auto-fixes need not do much processing. I'm not a fan, but plenty of folks let such things slide. That's not a Sony slam, μ43 is as bad or worse when checking opticallimits' tests w/ no corrections.

Like I said, it’s a big lens! Even bigger with its massive lens hood (has a huge rectangular opening that one could use as a matte box, I guess).

Your photo makes me remember the days when lens barrels were shiny black (painted metal), and focus and zoom rings were knurled. My Voigtlanders still are, but I don’t recall any of my Sony G or GM lenses being - all matte finishes and rubber.
It's a monster. When I first heard about it, I thought "YAY!", then I looked it up and was 😭

I bought it sight unseen - imagine how I felt!

I still own it, but I don’t think I have used it for at least three years. I keep thinking “maybe I’ll use it for some video” - haven’t yet. It sits next to the Rode microphone I bought at a very good price 6 or 7 years ago o_O

I bought it sight unseen - imagine how I felt!

I still own it, but I don’t think I have used it for at least three years. I keep thinking “maybe I’ll use it for some video” - haven’t yet. It sits next to the Rode microphone I bought at a very good price 6 or 7 years ago o_O
YIKES! I just went and looked it up again, 95mm filter thread!

I guess the rest isn't that bad, really. 2-3/4 lbs. and just over 6" long. But still a big lens for an f/4.

Yep, and it doesn’t come with a 95mm lens cap, either! All it has is a ginormous lens hood and a plastic cover that goes over the front of that. Yuck!

What's confusing is the focal length. SAR has been saying it's a 24-70 f4. Now he wrote it's a 20-70 f4. Then changed back to 24-70. So can anyone confirm the focal length?! Also SAR is saying it's smaller than the 24-105 which is confusing in every way imho.

What's confusing is the focal length. SAR has been saying it's a 24-70 f4. Now he wrote it's a 20-70 f4. Then changed back to 24-70. So can anyone confirm the focal length?! Also SAR is saying it's smaller than the 24-105 which is confusing in every way imho.
I just looked and his latest post (today Jan 16) is I think a typographical error in the headline. It says 24-70 but if you read the body of the text it says 20-70. It is going to be 20-70 I am sure, the latest headline is a simple (but confusing) mistake. I will see if there is a way to contact them right now to change it.

It's supposedly a 20-70. Comments on SAR are that he does that purposely to throw off the copy/paste bots. Although, I've never seen him do that before, so who knows?

SAR has now corrected the title to read 20-70.

I just looked and his latest post (today Jan 16) is I think a typographical error in the headline. It says 24-70 but if you read the body of the text it says 20-70. It is going to be 20-70 I am sure, the latest headline is a simple (but confusing) mistake. I will see if there is a way to contact them right now to change it.
No one can tell you true or false, because Sony's security is pretty good - you won't find someone on a forum who has inside knowledge. Heck, I don't expect SAR to know the truth, either, not since the Japanese source dried up.

Here you go. A 20-70 it is, confirmed. But there's something else interesting in the text:

I had the pleasure to see the Sony 20-70mm G lens. Sadly I cannot show you the image…but at least I know now for sure this is a real thing and not a rumor anymore :)

Announcement should happen today at 3pm. And because I am always mean and very clickbaity (is it a word?) I can already tease you that tomorrow or after tomorrow I will post the next 100% reliable rumor about a new third party autofocus lens ;)

The news of a third party autofocus lens is interesting, though I am generally hesitant to trust third party. Someone in the replies to the above announcement said they already saw it on DPreview with a price of $1100, but when I looked (both news and forums) I could not find anything. However it should be officially announced shortly.

It is officially announced just now. I was going to provide the link to SonyAlphaRumors, but it is taking too long to load on my computer, which means A LOT of people are looking at their site right now (other pages load instantly on my computer). When I got a brief glimpse at their overall page they also had a post stating DPreview unintentionally leaked it. B&H already has it as the top post on their main page: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/explora/videos/photography/sony-20-70mm-f4

Specs on 20-70:
$1098 (USA price on B&H)
17.2 ounces (488 grams)
3.9 inch (99cm) long (presumably when not zoomed out)
72mm filter
constant f4 maximum aperture
physical aperture ring, can be set for continuous smooth or 1/3 stop clicks

It is officially announced just now. I was going to provide the link to SonyAlphaRumors, but it is taking too long to load on my computer, which means A LOT of people are looking at their site right now (other pages load instantly on my computer). When I got a brief glimpse at their overall page they also had a post stating DPreview unintentionally leaked it. B&H already has it as the top post on their main page: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/explora/videos/photography/sony-20-70mm-f4
I’d link to a more reputable site than SAR - something like DPreview, perhaps. I don’t think SAR deserves the clicks these days.

I don’t know why, but I was expecting it to be cheaper - maybe because it’s constant f/4.

I’d link to a more reputable site than SAR - something like DPreview, perhaps. I don’t think SAR deserves the clicks these days.

I don’t know why, but I was expecting it to be cheaper - maybe because it’s constant f/4.
About the same as the 24-105. Wait until they release a MkII of that lens, it'll be $1500.

Back