Following
Nov 19, 2020
Name
Chris Fowler
Country
United States
City/State
Pembroke Pines/FL
I read an article/opinion on Fstoppers about 35mm primes on full frame and it made me think that many of us APSC users kind of slide right past this focal length. I find this strange because so many full frame users default to the 35mm prime as their "every day" or "street" lens. Was this a choice or a norm imposed by previous technical limitations? I'm just thinking out loud...

Consider that 35mm full frame, divided by 1.5 crop factor means one would need a 23.333mm lens on the APSC.

I've only heard about one APSC specific prime at this focal length: the Viltrox 23mm f1.4. Reviews for this $300 lens are a bit of a mixed bag and haven't yet convinced me that its a good lens.

However, I forgot all about the 24mm options (full frame or not) that would give a 36mm equivalent:
  • Sony GM 24mm f1.4 ($1300) a full frame lens
  • Sony Sonnar 24mm f1.8 (over $1k) an APSC lens
  • Rokinon 24mm f2.8 ($230) a full frame lens
  • Tamron 24mm f2.8 ($200) a full frame lens
Does anyone have any experience with any of these lenses on an a6000/6100/6300/6400/6500/6600 body?

Reactions: J.Duffy

WeeMalky

Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Aug 10, 2020
Name
Malcolm Yates
Country
United Kingdom
City/State
Prestwick . Ayrshire Scotland
I read an article/opinion on Fstoppers about 35mm primes on full frame and it made me think that many of us APSC users kind of slide right past this focal length. I find this strange because so many full frame users default to the 35mm prime as their "every day" or "street" lens. Was this a choice or a norm imposed by previous technical limitations? I'm just thinking out loud...

Consider that 35mm full frame, divided by 1.5 crop factor means one would need a 23.333mm lens on the APSC.

I've only heard about one APSC specific prime at this focal length: the Viltrox 23mm f1.4. Reviews for this $300 lens are a bit of a mixed bag and haven't yet convinced me that its a good lens.

However, I forgot all about the 24mm options (full frame or not) that would give a 36mm equivalent:
  • Sony GM 24mm f1.4 ($1300) a full frame lens
  • Sony Sonnar 24mm f1.8 (over $1k) an APSC lens
  • Rokinon 24mm f2.8 ($230) a full frame lens
  • Tamron 24mm f2.8 ($200) a full frame lens
Does anyone have any experience with any of these lenses on an a6000/6100/6300/6400/6500/6600 body?
Chris this photo was taken with a Minolta 35mm f2.8 adapted to an A6500 think the lens is a 1970s model shows what you can do with vintage
A6502313.jpg
  • ILCE-6500
  • ----
  • 28 sec
  • ISO 100

FowlersFreeTime

Original poster
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Nov 19, 2020
Name
Chris Fowler
Country
United States
City/State
Pembroke Pines/FL
I fell down the YouTube rabbit hole...

Viltrox 23 - good, except for Chromatic Aberration
Sony lenses - too expensive to consider
Rokinon/Samyang 24 - quiet autofocus, but soft in the corners
Tamron 24 - loud auto focus and focus breathing, but nice macro capability

It looks like nobody makes a great 23mm or 24mm at a decent price, and we can't all afford the $1000 Sony Zeis Sonnar 24mm...
Sooo now I know why I don't hear about this focal length on the APSC!

FowlersFreeTime

Original poster
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Nov 19, 2020
Name
Chris Fowler
Country
United States
City/State
Pembroke Pines/FL
Chris this photo was taken with a Minolta 35mm f2.8 adapted to an A6500 think the lens is a 1970s model shows what you can do with vintage
Hey Malcolm, I like the light trails!
However, my thought experiment was around prime lenses that give a 35mm equivalent out of an a6xxx camera. I also have a sony e 35mm lens, but that equates to a 52.5mm (50mm) full-frame equivalent.

WeeMalky

Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Aug 10, 2020
Name
Malcolm Yates
Country
United Kingdom
City/State
Prestwick . Ayrshire Scotland
Hey Malcolm, I like the light trails!
However, my thought experiment was around prime lenses that give a 35mm equivalent out of an a6xxx camera. I also have a sony e 35mm lens, but that equates to a 52.5mm (50mm) full-frame equivalent.
That's True you could also try a MINOLTA AF 24mm F/2.8 Wide Angle A-Mount Lens which I believe you can pick up quite cheaply just a thought

FowlersFreeTime

Original poster
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Nov 19, 2020
Name
Chris Fowler
Country
United States
City/State
Pembroke Pines/FL
You know its interesting, from what I saw, the problems with options listed above were half related to video, half related to still photos. Only the Sony Zeiss Sonnar excelled at both. I imagine that adapting a lens like the ones you mentioned would yield fine results for photos, but not quite work well for video. I wasn't looking for one or the other, just trying to understand why more people don't talk about that focal length for APSC. I guess I see now.

Reactions: WeeMalky

Pro Membership Upgrade

• If you'd like to support this community you can easily do so by becoming a Pro Member and unlocking the following benefits:

✓ No Adverts in the Forums
    ✓ Pro Member Competitions
    ✓ Sell Items in the Marketplace
    ✓ Unlimited Gallery Uploads
    ✓ Higher Resolution Gallery Uploads
    ✓ Forum Profile Signature
    ✓ Custom Profile Cover Photo
    ✓ Advertise Your Photography Workshops

Pro Member Upgrade

Shopping Links

You can also support this site by purchasing gear through the following affiliate links:
Although I would recommend supporting your local camera store if you have one.

User Menu

alpha shooters text logo

© 2020 Alpha Shooters. All Rights Reserved.
Disclaimer: Alpha Shooters is an independently run website and is not affiliated with Sony.com
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.