genesiusj

Followers
Following
Name
Genesius Jaromsky
This is my current kit.
  • Sony A6300
  • SEL 18200 3.5-6.3 OSS
  • SEL P1650 3.5-6.3 OSS (acquired yesterday for $75 - was this a good deal?)
  • Sigma 28300 3.5-6.3 (A-mount)
  • K&F Concept MAF-NEX adapter
I also have a Minolta Maxxum beercan* 70-200 mm lens; Minolta Maxxum 50 mm (kit lens); Tokina 20-35 mm. All of these are A-mount. However, I am going to a local camera shop to sell/trade. I received one of those eBay "kits", I was a complete neophyte and requested this "bargain", and most of the items are crap. The tripod broke as I took it out of the box. I also received these (see pics).
* Should I keep the beercan? Doesn't the Sigma cover this focal length range?

I discovered these lenses and filters "fit" the P1650 from yesterday.

Should I include these items in sell/trade later this week; or, will these come in handy?

Thanks and God bless for your professional opinions.

IMG_20240425_113325.jpg IMG_20240425_113455.jpg IMG_20240425_113701.jpg IMG_20240425_113954.jpg IMG_20240425_114115.jpg

Also, which of these would you keep? The Mobile is over 20 years old, and still works. The Vivitar is brand new and tilts.
Thanks and God bless. 🙏📸

Attachments

• IMG_20240429_062827.jpg
    IMG_20240429_062827.jpg
    256.7 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_20240429_062816.jpg
    IMG_20240429_062816.jpg
    271.2 KB · Views: 9
I think I have that Vivitar filter kit in the back of my closet too! Never used it 😄

I have no professional opinion to give, but here's my 2 cents: I would only keep converter + old glass until I could afford to replace that focal range with an E-mount lens. Yes there are others on this site who use converters, but if you want to lighten your load and simplify any future troubleshooting then replace them all. Tamron makes an 18-300mm for the Sony APSC E-mount cameras, its not perfect, but no superzoom is. If you want to hand-hold any zoom shots, try to get a lens with OSS like the Sony 70-300mm (full frame lens, but maybe a good investment?) or Sony 70-350mm (pricey but probably best choice for APSC).

Otherwise, regarding the E-mount lenses you already have:
The 18-200 is kind of rare nowadays, Sony never updated it and no third parties made a comparable range. Perhaps when Sony introduced the 18-135mm OSS lens, they considered the market need to be satisfied.
The 16-50 is what most APSC users get as their first kit lens. Many users rush to upgrade it, but I've never seen a more compact offering with that range. It is good enough for a walkaround lens as long as you're not in low light conditions.

Do either of the flashes work with the A6300? if not, get rid of them.

I think I have that Vivitar filter kit in the back of my closet too! Never used it 😄

I have no professional opinion to give, but here's my 2 cents: I would only keep converter + old glass until I could afford to replace that focal range with an E-mount lens. Yes there are others on this site who use converters, but if you want to lighten your load and simplify any future troubleshooting then replace them all. Tamron makes an 18-300mm for the Sony APSC E-mount cameras, its not perfect, but no superzoom is. If you want to hand-hold any zoom shots, try to get a lens with OSS like the Sony 70-300mm (full frame lens, but maybe a good investment?) or Sony 70-350mm (pricey but probably best choice for APSC).

Otherwise, regarding the E-mount lenses you already have:
The 18-200 is kind of rare nowadays, Sony never updated it and no third parties made a comparable range. Perhaps when Sony introduced the 18-135mm OSS lens, they considered the market need to be satisfied.
The 16-50 is what most APSC users get as their first kit lens. Many users rush to upgrade it, but I've never seen a more compact offering with that range. It is good enough for a walkaround lens as long as you're not in low light conditions.

Do either of the flashes work with the A6300? if not, get rid of them.
First thing we my sell/trade is either get a replacement A6300 (or better) body; or at least have money for the repairs.
As you have read in some earlier posts, now my camera LCD wonks out. After shooting for a few minutes the LCD goes black. However, if I tilt the lens towards the ground (which is not what I am looking to shoot) the LCD works. And it doesn't matter if I pull out the LCD and tilt in different angles, the screen stays black until I tilt whole camera downward.

As for the flash. I've take very few flash photos, relying primarily on whatever light there is present. The few flash I have taken, there seems to be a lag in recharging as well as a range for the shutter speed with the Minolta. I haven't cracked open the Vivitar box yet to test it. Maybe I'll keep them both for now. I loved the Minolta flash during my limited 35mm film days.

I didn't realize the 16-50 was a kit lens. My A6300 was a gift from a friend with only 10K shutter count, and a 18200 lens. This is my seconds 18200. Blew the IC board on the original one. It would taken over a month to have it repaired, and I was too impatient to not be shooting for a month. I purchased this second one off of eBay.

Back to the 16-50. The PZ is the kit lens for the A6300?

The 18-200 is kind of rare nowadays, Sony never updated it
That's interetesing because the 18200 I now use has a different filter size than the original I was given.

Thanks as always for your insight and experience, @FowlersFreeTime .
Enjoy your day and God bless,
Genesius 🙏📸

I bought my a6000 from a friend and the pz16-50 was part of the kit he had purchased. Indeed the 16-50 and 55-210 were "kit" lens options. Then along came the 18-135mm lens as a kit option (great lens) which is how I acquired it (with the purchase of the a6400).

Seems like you could really use a new camera body. However, only you can make the right call for your budget. Whether that's another a6300, an a6400, or maybe one of the 3 models with IBIS.

New in Marketplace

Back