Name
Genesius Jaromsky
Hello,
I have a few a-mount lenses that I attach to a K&F Concept adapter
  • Minolta Maxxum AF Zoom 70-210 mm f/4-32
  • Minolta Maxxum AF 50 mm f/1.7-22
  • Sigma 28-300 mm f/3.5-6.3 D
  • Tokina 20-35 mm f/3.5-4.5
  1. If you use vintage lenses, how do you handle recording/trcaking your settings?
  2. If you use a mechnical only adapter (no electronic connection, no AF), how do you know what f-stop you are using? The adapter linked above has 9 positions.
Thanks and God bless,
Genesius

Hello,
I have a few a-mount lenses that I attach to a K&F Concept adapter
  • Minolta Maxxum AF Zoom 70-210 mm f/4-32
  • Minolta Maxxum AF 50 mm f/1.7-22
  • Sigma 28-300 mm f/3.5-6.3 D
  • Tokina 20-35 mm f/3.5-4.5
  1. If you use vintage lenses, how do you handle recording/trcaking your settings?
  2. If you use a mechnical only adapter (no electronic connection, no AF), how do you know what f-stop you are using? The adapter linked above has 9 positions.
Thanks and God bless,
Genesius
Hi Genesius, I am not sure how much this helps, but I tried something similar:
and here is another sample:

In short, I had no idea what exact aperture I was shooting with, only that I could control it manually through the converter. As you will see in the metadata, you still get exposure and ISO recorded with the image.

While it was a fun experiment, I personally wouldn't rely on this setup for anything other than tripod mounted still-life. Sony E-mount has so many lens options out there when you include 3rd party manufacturers (such as Sigma & Tamron), I probably wouldn't settle for anything less than an autofocus lens designed for E-mount.

Hi Genesius, I am not sure how much this helps, but I tried something similar:
and here is another sample:

In short, I had no idea what exact aperture I was shooting with, only that I could control it manually through the converter. As you will see in the metadata, you still get exposure and ISO recorded with the image.

While it was a fun experiment, I personally wouldn't rely on this setup for anything other than tripod mounted still-life. Sony E-mount has so many lens options out there when you include 3rd party manufacturers (such as Sigma & Tamron), I probably wouldn't settle for anything less than an autofocus lens designed for E-mount.
No time at work to check. But I wanted to thank you for your response.
God bless. 🙏📸

I'm a bit mystified. I never had any experience of Minolta/sony-A-mount. Was the iris not part of the lenses?

I'm a bit mystified. I never had any experience of Minolta/sony-A-mount. Was the iris not part of the lenses?
it was. So most of the converters will allow you to control the aperture (iris) but have no meaningful markings to tell you what f-stop you're at.

Oh! So not so unlike many an e-mount lens: iris, but no control ring. Duh... I should have thought of that.

So the lens aperture was controlled from the camera... mechanically?

Back