Following
Name
Ralph Ernesti
Country
Australia
City/State
Mildura
I know this is weird but you let me in.
My thoughts are when you get a camera today, the main topic of it as I see is the film part of it.
I am not a film person and I have never used that part.
Will I ever use that part of my camera's? Answer is no as far as I can see.

So why don't they bring out a Sony A7 NVC, this would mean a Sony A7 but has No Video Capabilities at all.
If they made it for the people like me who turn all film or video parts off.

I had a Sony A390 that came out just like this and I loved that camera and if I hadn't used up my number count I would still be using it.
As this is how much I hate yes hate the film side of cameras.
I feel if you want to film go out and buy a video camera, don't add it to my camera's list.
But this I know is a money call. So this is here to stay .

I know I would a camera with that taken out and it is as good at the A7 series or A9 camera.

I agree, I've never used the video capabilities on any DSLR I've owned. I know that they are exceptional at it, but I just can't be bothered with editing after, it's enough to do photos! I have, in the past, owned video cameras, and made DVD's, but not for years now, and I can't see me going back.
I guess they are covering all bases and giving them a few more sales here and there. A lot of TV shows are filmed on DSLR's

My thoughts are when you get a camera today, the main topic of it as I see is the film part of it.

So why don't they bring out a Sony A7 NVC, this would mean a Sony A7 but has No Video Capabilities at all.

I had a Sony A390 that came out just like this and I loved that camera and if I hadn't used up my number count I would still be using it.
I feel if you want to film go out and buy a video camera, don't add it to my camera's list.

I know I would a camera with that taken out and it is as good at the A7 series or A9 camera.

You made it confusing when you talked about film. If you'd said video it would have been easier. After all, film cameras never shot video... o_O

I have owned a lot of digital capable of shooting video (and some without video capabilities, like the original 5D), but I have rarely used the video features. I prefer to shoot stills.

Sorry about that but its just how I wrote it as with no intention to confuse anyone.
I just works what word comes to me at that time and I use that. And that basically it.
But a photo only camera would be so good to have. I know one camera I had for some reason
the video button seemed to get all the time and I hated that one.
But my 1st dslr being the 390 I think it was photo only and I loved it.

I feel like this has been part of Sony's product offering since way back when (my old Cybershot would take video clips in glorious 480p at god-knows-what frame rate🤣), and I've always been in the camp of "if it has the capability, I'll give it a try". Regardless I get what you're saying, but you answered yourself: "But this I know is a money call. So this is here to stay."
If they take features away from a model, there will be some reviewer that will say they crippled the platform, which would translate to some buyers shying away for whatever reason. So they cram features in like a Swiss Army Knife and hope that the rich feature set will attract buyers across any segment.

I know one camera I had for some reason the video button seemed to get [pressed?] all the time and I hated that one.
Did you mean the a6000 or any in that lineup? I also hate the location of the video record button as it is on the corner of the already-too-small grip where a wayward thumb can and will turn on video at an inappropriate time. I have since turned that button off in the settings so now it only activates when I switch the dial to movie mode.

I feel like this has been part of Sony's product offering since way back when (my old Cybershot would take video clips in glorious 480p at god-knows-what frame rate🤣), and I've always been in the camp of "if it has the capability, I'll give it a try". Regardless I get what you're saying, but you answered yourself: "But this I know is a money call. So this is here to stay."
If they take features away from a model, there will be some reviewer that will say they crippled the platform, which would translate to some buyers shying away for whatever reason. So they cram features in like a Swiss Army Knife and hope that the rich feature set will attract buyers across any segment.
I know it is here to stay but it would be good if they gave it a try to make one like they did with all the modern stuff of lets say the A9 and no video.
All they have to do is make it offer it to me to road test I would be fair and then say I lost it so I could have it forever and then we all would have the option of a straight up Photo camera.
I am not sure what camera I had at the time but if I had to guess I think it might have been the Sony A77 or the A77ii camera.
It seemed everytime I done something without looking the video button was hit. I am not sure if we can turn it off completely as
I know for a fact I will not use it Chris Fowler.

I wish my A1 had zero video features and costed 2/3.

Sorry about that but its just how I wrote it as with no intention to confuse anyone.
I just works what word comes to me at that time and I use that. And that basically it.
But a photo only camera would be so good to have. I know one camera I had for some reason
the video button seemed to get all the time and I hated that one.
But my 1st dslr being the 390 I think it was photo only and I loved it.

Well, the A1 (at least) lets you redefine the video button - you could make it do something more useful, like toggling daylight savings time on / off (that's more useful than shooting video, isn't it?).

I tried to work out how many photo-only DSLRs I had before video crept in. I think it was 4.

One link I stumbled across while looking that up was this idiot's commentary on the "Canon 1D Mark III": https://www.inputmag.com/tech/canon-eos-1d-mark-iii-dslr

Took me a while to work out that the idiot was talking about the 1DX Mark III. I owned a 1D Mark III back in 2007, and it definitely did not shoot 20Mpixel and 4k video! It was a 10Mpixel stills-only camera (gosh, Canon's 1 series advanced SO MUCH in a mere 13 years!). Its successor, the 1D Mark IV did shoot video.

Here's some info on the real 1D Mark III: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canon_EOS-1D_Mark_III

Well I have 3 sony cameras at the mo and have never and will never use the video functions it just does not interest me.

Well I have 3 sony cameras at the mo and have never and will never use the video functions it just does not interest me.
Are you the one who done the how to set up your Sony A7iii youtube clip.
If it is you thank you so much. I set mine up to your instructions fully but missed the Back focus as I want to see what I get the old way 1st off.

Rarely use the function but at times have found it handy. Bright day waterfall shots and Platypus which are fairly active.
Also handy to be able to edit into a short movies shot mainly with my drone.

Rarely use the function but at times have found it handy. Bright day waterfall shots and Platypus which are fairly active.
Also handy to be able to edit into a short movies shot mainly with my drone.
I understand what you mean but you have answered the thing at the same time by saying you use your drone to capture the video.
Which is why I think they could bring out a Photo only camera again. I the mode of the A7 or something like this.
I know I would look at it and would save up to get it if it came in the A7 mode even up the the A7iii which is what I have and drop the video out of it. And yes I know I don't have to use it but surely if one was made this way, the price would drop and this could be just why it won't be dropped.
But I know there are many out there that love it with both. I just am not one of them.

I understand what you mean but you have answered the thing at the same time by saying you use your drone to capture the video.
Which is why I think they could bring out a Photo only camera again. I the mode of the A7 or something like this.
I know I would look at it and would save up to get it if it came in the A7 mode even up the the A7iii which is what I have and drop the video out of it. And yes I know I don't have to use it but surely if one was made this way, the price would drop and this could be just why it won't be dropped.
But I know there are many out there that love it with both. I just am not one of them.
The drone is used for stills as well, but as I do promotional photography for several organizations I find that short movies shot from both ground level and above tell the story better than just stills alone.
I love being able to capture very fast small birds working blossom for a feed in slow motion where it's very difficult to capture a still photograph in a way that shows just how busy the birds are. The options are there if and when you need them. If you don't ever need them... fair enough.

I am with you video has no interest for me and I guess the fact some of the cameras we have now cost what they do is down to the fact that they want to be all things to all people

A camera without video capability would not be cheaper. All the internal hardware cores have video baked in just like image processing. I.e. I assume they would have to make a separate BionZ processor to remove the video capabilities. Thus making an NVC camera much more expensive to amortize the development cost (new hardware -> new firmware, etc). Not worth it.

On the firmware side though, they could let us at least reprogram the recording button (apparently done on A1 but I haven't found it on A9).

One of the first posts I made on here after finally at long last having gotten my A1 in hand was, "how the heck do I turn this stupid video recording button off?" (Not the exact thread title, but that was the meaning!). Thankfully someone had an answer and that took care of the problem for me. I remember with my NEX 7 how annoying it was when I kept hitting the darned "rec" button until Sony finally provided a firmware update that included a solution. My A7R IV was not a problem, there was already a handy setting in there to block the video recording button from ever activating. Then the A1 didn't seem to have that.... But all is well now.

I'm definitely one who is a stills photographer only, don't care about shooting video, have no intention of shooting video. However, that said, I think that there are some features and functionality that we stills shooters enjoy now because of video; there are some things which are set up for video which also benefit stills shooters. Of course off the top of my head right now I cannot think of anything, but I am pretty sure that this is the case.

Not so sure how much less expensive a digital camera which was specifically for shooting stills only would be than one which includes features, functionality and options for shooting video as well, as there is probably some overlap that we just aren't aware of which makes shooting our stills more enjoyable. Without those, with a stripped-down, less expensive stills camera, would there still be the same enjoyment, the same flexibility in settings, options, actual shooting? I guess we'll never know because clearly the camera manufacturers are all doing the dual video/stills thing.....and the prices of the gear reflect that.

Well, I have 3 sony cameras at the moment and have never and will never use the video functions it just does not interest me.

I came across the perfect camera for all of you that want only photo capability, its just gonna cost you $9,000 :ROFLMAO:
Interesting read and I will say a boring looking camera as it stands as well. But as long as it does what it is supposed to do then too bad what it looks like. Though the price then to do all the change overs to move to this which sounds good has ruled it out. I know where the video button is on my camera and I have not touched it accidentally ever so I will stay where I am but will dream of a Non Video- Stills Camera in the Sony range.
Thanks for posting this as well.

Even if the price makes it pure unobtainium, its still fascinating to read about the technology in new cameras. I guess I am more into the technical aspect of photography than the artistry.

Well, I have 3 sony cameras at the moment and have never and will never use the video functions it just does not interest me.
Same here!

I keep an A-68 around in case I NEED video, but Its been in the case for years.

I love my A-850.

No video, no built in post processing, no face detection, smile detection, no automatic red eye removal or other unneeded crap.

I checked. Last camera I bought without video was at the end of 2007. Every camera since has had video. Or they told me it had video. I didn’t try it, so maybe it’s a global conspiracy telling us that all these cameras have video so we submit and stop shooting stills (NEVER! They will never take our freedom (to shoot stills)).

That said, I am very much enjoying my A1 as a stills only camera. I heard a rumour that it can shoot video if I press a red button, but the red button on mine doesn’t do anything…

Hey, I have an A7III and an A7IV that are both still cameras only. That is until,l. I turn some knobs. I fail to realize what is the negative part if your camera has more capabilities, even if you don 't use those features. I bet there are some "Still shooting features" that you may not use as well. Another way to look at it is when you sell the camera, it will have more value.

Having posted this Rant, I suspect I will take some movies some day in the near future. Buying a Drone pulled me into Photography. I could not wait to make a 4K movie. Then I discovered that my computer couldn't play or edit my movies. So I bought a PC that would do the work. Then I made a movie. It's here if you would like to see it. I have not done much in the way of Drone movies since (Well, a couple) but it's nice to know I can if I feel like it. I'm just pretty busy trying to do something that looks like still photography.

My video camera is the RX10iv or a cellphone. No post processing and no interchangeably lenses. Keeping it simple for my family to use. For my main photography cameras I use the A1, A7Siii, A7Riv, and Fujifilm X-T4 - I have heard those are relatively good cameras for video but I have zero desire to go beyond the enjoyment factor of just using the RX10iv. Something about twiddling about waiting for an NLE machine to take hours to get the end result really killed the pleasure of video encoding.

I picked up a new annoying hobby last week :)

The A1 makes it very easy to shoot sequences of images, and they can be turned into animated GIFs... Not video with its blurring of motion, but cool sharp-as frames presented in sequence.

Last edited:
Back