Name
Tim
Country
United Kingdom
City/State
Shropshire
CC Welcome
  1. Yes
We know that Sigma will launch the 70-200mm F2.8 DG DN OS Sports lens for E-mount and L-mount in December.

Sigma-70-200mm-F2-8-DG-DN-OS-Sports-Lens-Sony-E-mount.png

So far few details have been released other than the following:
  • HLA (High-response Linear Actuator) focus motors
  • Optical stabilizer with SIGMA’s unique ‘OS2’ algorithm
  • Fully weather resistant construction
  • L-Mount, Sony E-mount
I just stumbled across the following video that takes a closer look at this lens:

It's nice to see that's it's definitely an internal zoom design.

The price still hasn't been revealed but my guess would be around $1800 which would put it $500 above the Tamron 70-180 F2.8 G2 and $1000 cheaper than Sony's 70-200 F2.8 II. Do you think that's in the ball park?

Interesting place in the market to be. It won't replace the GM 70-200 MK II - no way it'll deliver 30fps. Would be impressive it it matched the IQ but doubtful IMO. Love the aperture ring and Arca foot.

Otherwise the Tamron would be a better buy if you don't need the speed.

I shoot Sony for the insane performance so it's GM II all the way for me personally. Used copies in the US are getting in the low - mid $2K range so probably not much more than the Sigma.

No question the IQ will be good, they generally are, but can the AF match up? Maybe, but I have always found Sigma lacking in that department. One thing for sure is that it will be a bargain by comparison with Sony.

No question the IQ will be good, they generally are, but can the AF match up? Maybe, but I have always found Sigma lacking in that department. One thing for sure is that it will be a bargain by comparison with Sony.
I don't think Sony will let the AF catch up.

Third party lenses aren't lacking because they're incapable of producing the same features as Sony, it's because Sony demands they retain an edge to justify their ridiculously high pricing structure. So, if you want to sell lenses for my cameras, here are your parameters.

I don't think Sony will let the AF catch up.

Third party lenses aren't lacking because they're incapable of producing the same features as Sony, it's because Sony demands they retain an edge to justify their ridiculously high pricing structure. So, if you want to sell lenses for my cameras, here are your parameters.
Yes if course, but Tamron, in my experience, are just as quick. In fact, in the Nikon, thier 70 200 2.8 was better!

Yes if course, but Tamron, in my experience, are just as quick. In fact, in the Nikon, thier 70 200 2.8 was better!
The newer AF motors are very fast, I was referring more to fps.

If memory serves this was a long awaited / long rumored lens correct? I had the version for Canon and it was quite good. Very heavy though. Could fend off an attacker with it.

• Admin
If memory serves this was a long awaited / long rumored lens correct? I had the version for Canon and it was quite good. Very heavy though. Could fend off an attacker with it.
Sigma officially announced the development of it early last month but they only provided a few details including the December launch date but no pricing so far. It's about 290g heavier than Sony's 70-200 F2.8 GM II.

Back