Name
Uncle Kev 😆
Country
United Kingdom
City/State
Ormesby St Margaret
CC Welcome
  1. Yes
This is what's left of the caribiner on my Black Rapid Sport strap.I was tightening the ring that it clips onto on my lens foot when it when ping! You can see where, over the 10-12 years I have owned it, the pressure on it when carrying the lens at my side has gradually worn into it, and ultimately created a weak point.
I will replace this part with something else, as the strap is fine.
Worth checking this on yours if you've owned one a long while. I'm glad I wasn't walking with it when it went, could have been expensive.

IMG_20240317_203433.jpg
  • OPPO A96
  • 4.1 mm
  • ƒ/1.8
  • 1000000/17000000 sec
  • ISO 5725
IMG_20240317_203511.jpg
  • OPPO A96
  • 4.1 mm
  • ƒ/1.8
  • 1000000/13000000 sec
  • ISO 8064

Wow kev I guess you never checked, it might be time for me to check mine although it mot quite as old as that

Wow kev I guess you never checked, it might be time for me to check mine although it mot quite as old as that
Nope, never gave it a thought, I wouldn't expect it to go like this

well caught kev, just time .I have a rollaball sniper similar but works on bearing which i am now going to have to use on my sigma 500mm since no military connector on the lens foot ,the 200-600mm has a kirk foot and i use a mil magpul type connector which has been solid ,well unless like me and you forget to connect it properly that could of been more expensive than it was just a scratched lens hood and broken eye cup .on my A1 and 200-600mm ,but i guess 10 years is good so at least you can grab another with a degree of confidence .

Glad you caught it before it went boom. I'll bet if you contact Blackrapid they'd hook you up!

They might, and it has occurred to me
Tell them how long you've owned it, how much you love it, and how you're hoping they can sell just this part. They may just send it for free. Peak Design sent me a part for nothing when I asked a similar question.

Yep, I'm going to tactically ask if it's possible to get replacements

It may sound a bit silly, but maybe the metal of this is deliberately a bit softer than the part it clips to so it wears instead of the other part?

I remember having it explained to me many decades ago that this was why the hinge pin on a guillotine was mild steel, so it wore instead of the expensive hardened steel blades.

I bet you will be checking regularly how much the replacement gets worn in future! Might want to replace that one before it goes “ping” ;)

It may sound a bit silly, but maybe the metal of this is deliberately a bit softer than the part it clips to so it wears instead of the other part?

I remember having it explained to me many decades ago that this was why the hinge pin on a guillotine was mild steel, so it wore instead of the expensive hardened steel blades.

I bet you will be checking regularly how much the replacement gets worn in future! Might want to replace that one before it goes “ping” ;)
Possibly, though I think it's just where a heavy-ish lens has been hanging on it and friction from movement. It lasted well TBH.

Update from Black Rapid.

Thanked me for choosing the product, but they are unable to supply the part, and to recycle the strap and buy a new one. They suggested some too. You'd think they'd offer a discount too :)
Never mind, I'm resourceful, and will probably find a way to repair it, as the strap is fine.

Peak Design. I actually lost a part, offered to buy it, they sent it free. They earned my business on future purchases.

Back