Followers
Following
Name
George
Country
United Kingdom
City/State
Edinburgh
Not sure if this has been discussed, and yes I'm being a bit lazy asking instead of trying myself but it's always interesting to hear the views of others.

Which would be your preferable camera for bird photography, inc BIF, with 200-600 lens A1 or A7RV?

The A1 does more frames per sec but what other advantages or disadvantages have users found with each of these bodies?

I have always used the A1 but wonder whether I should try the 7Rv instead? If so what settings?

A1 easily because you stated BiF. The A7Riv (I own) and A7Rv are performance wise the same. The differences between the A1 and A7Riv in performance are not just the frame rate, which is in real world 30 v 7, but more importantly the AF calculation speed on the A1 is so much faster and accurate for anything moving. For BiF with something like ducks over a bay the A1 has a hit rate of like 98% with the A7Riv it is more like 33%. When the A7Riv was my only body I stopped even attempting BiF for anything smaller than a hawk even when using the faster focusing 100-400.

With the 200-600 I seem to get soft images with the A7Riv from time to time and I was really never able to figure out why. I still occasionally get soft images with the A1 but not as often and I generally understand why I did.

Without a doubt the A1/200-600mm combo is the better combination (unless you have the 400mm f2.8) and particularily in
regions with good light.......in poor light you will at times struggle with the 200-600mm and/or have to recover excessive noise
in post processing.

BIF's are no problem with the 200-600 and superior shooting capabilities of the A1. The A7Riv i used previously and with
marginally more resolution over the A1, but much inferior focussing accuracy and FPS rate, sold my A7Riv within a matter of months
of receiving my A9 ii as my support camera to my A1.

The high resolution of the A7Riv is quite unforgiving and will reflect any imprecision in your shooting style/set-up in your images.

For perched birds, the A7RV can do an excellent jobs (the bird eye AF is really good). It can shoot past branches and foliage that can fool other AF.

For birds in flight you can get lucky. People have shot BiF with the A7RIV, and the A7RV has better AF, but it’s the frame rate (on both) that is the big let down - so many fewer shots to choose from. I have been trying intermittently over the past month or so, and I cannot recommend the A7RV for BiF unless you have seriously good skills - you have to get the bird in the view finder and hold it there. I have managed to get a few shots, but nothing to boast about - my skills are not great.

I think I will take the A1 out next time.

Of course, the ideal will be the next A1 model incorporating next generation AF. Dunno when that will be, but I’m already saving for it.

Don’t even think about the cute little A7iv for this. It’s impossible to get anything moving in focus 15 times in a row. You’re lucky to get 1 perfect shot out of a burst on the silly thing.

And, it does BIF it’s own way.

Not in the same league as an A1. Look what happens when I try doing BIF!

Unacceptable distortion of these rainbow lorrikeets!

GJF04777.jpeg
  • ILCE-7M4
  • FE 135mm F1.8 GM
  • 135.0 mm
  • ƒ/1.8
  • 1/3200 sec
  • ISO 125

BIF the A7iv way. Bats in flight.

Don’t even think about the cute little A7iv for this. It’s impossible to get anything moving in focus 15 times in a row. You’re lucky to get 1 perfect shot out of a burst on the silly thing.

And, it does BIF it’s own way.

Not in the same league as an A1. Look what happens when I try doing BIF!

Unacceptable distortion of these rainbow lorrikeets!

View attachment 37959

BIF the A7iv way. Bats in flight.

I would shoot rainbow lorikeets in colour… Looks you missed the “black and white“ filter and hit “bat and white”.

That’s a good shot of the nearer one, though.

Back