Followers
Following
Name
Jeffery Small
Country
United States
CC Welcome
  1. Yes
Well, I just unpacked my new A7 IV along with three new lenses and am excited to get out and start shooting -- after plowing through the manual and setting things up. One thing I immediately found odd was that the battery door latch is not spring loaded and I have to manually push the latch closed after installing a new battery. Every other camera I've owned had a spring loaded latch so I'm wondering if this is normal of whether the latch is broken. Can other owners confirm. Thanks.

Well, I just unpacked my new A7 IV along with three new lenses and am excited to get out and start shooting -- after plowing through the manual and setting things up. One thing I immediately found odd was that the battery door latch is not spring loaded and I have to manually push the latch closed after installing a new battery. Every other camera I've owned had a spring loaded latch so I'm wondering if this is normal of whether the latch is broken. Can other owners confirm. Thanks.
Normal.

Irritating,

but normal.

Thanks for the confirmation. Sony does seem to have an odd philosophy of changing certain things for the worse on occasion. I wonder if this happens the same way that developers cost out their building projects. A long time ago when I was just starting out in a new architectural firm, I sat in a meeting where the developer/owner spent hours repositioning the outlets in apartments so that one $8 outlet (that was the construction cost per outlet at the time) could be eliminated from the apartment layout. User convenience be damned! I wonder of the latch spring was felled by one of these meetings! :)

Very irritating :)

Thanks for the confirmation. Sony does seem to have an odd philosophy of changing certain things for the worse on occasion. I wonder if this happens the same way that developers cost out their building projects. A long time ago when I was just starting out in a new architectural firm, I sat in a meeting where the developer/owner spent hours repositioning the outlets in apartments so that one $8 outlet (that was the construction cost per outlet at the time) could be eliminated from the apartment layout. User convenience be damned! I wonder of the latch spring was felled by one of these meetings! :)
Sony battery doors have been like this for many many generations of cameras - not just the current ones.

They seem to mess about with the card door as well, some it's a catch and the door springs open. The A9ii its slide the door to open it and the 7iv has a catch and then you slide the door. I wish they would make their mind up.

Well, you could eliminate the spring itself and two anchor points!

Rumour has it that this was a money saving scheme by one of the lead engineers. Sounds like they moved him to another department after that...

Exciting times for you! What lenses did you get mate? 🌞

Rumour has it that this was a money saving scheme by one of the lead engineers. Sounds like they moved him to another department after that...

Exciting times for you! What lenses did you get mate? 🌞
I got the new Sony FE 20-70mm F4 G, the Sony FE 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 G OSS. and the Sigma 14-24mm F2.8 DG DN Art. I generally shoot architecture and landscapes and have a month-long trip to the UK, Portugal and Spain coming up in May, so I'll really get an opportunity to try things out. Although I could have paid better attention to the dimensions, I was a bit shocked at how much larger the 70-300 lens was compared to my ancient Minolta 70-210. My next project is finding larger cases for my Lowepro lens belt! :)

I think this 20-70mm is going to be an excellent walking-around lens for my general shooting needs. Much better than my Minolta 35-85mm that I was using on my APS-C Alpha 77 camera -- as if I need to point that out!

That's a great kit! Got to be loving that! That's a smart, good value move I think...

I do like that 20-70mm lens. The extra 4mm on the wide end would be amazing! Was going to question the 14-24mm instead of a 16-35mm, but I guess if you can already go to 20mm with that Sony then it only makes sense to go a bit wider than 16mm with your super wide option, and I'd personally choose that Sigma over the Sony 12-24mm f4.

I was using the Sony 11-18mm lens on the A77 APS-C which turned it into an effective 16-27mm lens. So I figured that the 14mm lens would be just fine. I did like the Sigma a bit more than the Sony 12-24 considering the price and the additional F-stop. It's a nicely made lens and received top reviews.

The card door changes every generation or so.

There was one that was springloaded with a catch, then one that you slid to the rear, now the one where you slide the catch down, then the door to the rear.

I suspect the door will require you to say “Open sesame” while holding down a catch, and tapping out the Morse code for “SONY” with your left foot, sooner or later…

I was using the Sony 11-18mm lens on the A77 APS-C which turned it into an effective 16-27mm lens. So I figured that the 14mm lens would be just fine. I did like the Sigma a bit more than the Sony 12-24 considering the price and the additional F-stop. It's a nicely made lens and received top reviews.

I was very much a Sigma Art man for a while mate. The build quality, well the overall quality for that matter is outstanding! I will never ever object to someone wanting any of their lenses.

Back in the late70s I had a Sigma F/2.8 70-210mm that was a real work horse. It was a very nice lens and I used it for almost 20 years until some internal cam broke and the zoom function jammed.

Back