A7iii as a 2nd camera and for low light?

moniez

Newcomer
Followers
Following
Hello everyone!
I own an a7Riii and mostly shoot landscapes. Lately Ive been exploring the world of event photography and have created a need for a 2nd camera to save time not having to swap lens. At the same time Ive notice my a7Riii doesnt perform that well under lowlight.

I was told that the a7iii could be a good 2nd camera and perform much better in low light for those low light event photoshoots.

Do you agree and are there other similarly priced options?

Thank you! 🙏🏼

Hello everyone!
I own an a7Riii and mostly shoot landscapes. Lately Ive been exploring the world of event photography and have created a need for a 2nd camera to save time not having to swap lens. At the same time Ive notice my a7Riii doesnt perform that well under lowlight.

I was told that the a7iii could be a good 2nd camera and perform much better in low light for those low light event photoshoots.

Do you agree and are there other similarly priced options?

Thank you! 🙏🏼
The A7R III performs very well under low light. You'll gain some, but most of it will be in the upper ISO range. You will likely gain 2/3 of a stop.

The A7R III performs very well under low light. You'll gain some, but most of it will be in the upper ISO range. You will likely gain 2/3 of a stop.
Thanks for your reply!

The a7riii isnt bad at all but I sometimes get a lot of reddish/greenish tones. Maybe a bad setting or lack of experience on my part.

Somehow I was expecting a bigger gain (for the a7iii) from what I read about how great it was in low light.

Nonetheless, I think it would still serve me well as a 2nd camera. Ill try and find a slightly used one. I think I would use it as my main camera for events to benefit from the smaller sized files and sligltly better low light performance.

Cheers!

Thanks for your reply!

The a7riii isnt bad at all but I sometimes get a lot of reddish/greenish tones. Maybe a bad setting or lack of experience on my part.

Somehow I was expecting a bigger gain (for the a7iii) from what I read about how great it was in low light.

Nonetheless, I think it would still serve me well as a 2nd camera. Ill try and find a slightly used one. I think I would use it as my main camera for events to benefit from the smaller sized files and sligltly better low light performance.

Cheers!
Use this link. It's to the interactive image quality test board at DPR. You can put in any four cameras you want, change the ISO, test in low-light, etc. You can equalize the image sizes when testing different MP sensors, or leave them full size.

When you set ISO for the first camera the others will follow suit, but you can change the settings on camera 2, 3 and 4 without affecting the main camera.

You can play to your heart's content and see exactly what to expect.

Back