Aids to mobile wildlife shooting - what are yours?

Ziggy

Well Known Member
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Followers
Following
Country
Australia
City/State
Victoria
2 of mine ...

I don't use a mono or tripod as I prefer to be mobile and ready to respond in seconds, but I use the 'kneepod' a lot and these pads work well. From Amazon.

kneepads.jpg

Mixing shooting with cycling, skiing or boating means I need my hands free and a Cotton Carrier Skout holster holds the camera firmly.

Skout-twistlock-ezGif_1000x.gif

This will handle up to a 200-600mm, and even a 400/2.8 for short spells, but it needs the hub to be attached to plate fixed to the foot to raise the centre of gravity of the rig.
For the big primes the CC harness is the go.

2 of mine ...

I don't use a mono or tripod as I prefer to be mobile and ready to respond in seconds, but I use the 'kneepod' a lot and these pads work well. From Amazon.

This will handle up to a 200-600mm, and even a 400/2.8 for short spells
i love my skout carrier - i feel a bit dorky walking around with this huge lens strapped to my chest, but it is amazingly handy. I keep my 18-135 in a small pouch i clip to the d ring that holds the rain cover.

Yes, I got an extra holster for the harness to carry a landscape rig when out bird shooting.

View attachment 5670

This will handle up to a 200-600mm, and even a 400/2.8 for short spells, but it needs the hub to be attached to plate fixed to the foot to raise the centre of gravity of the rig.
Looks pretty good! Now I see it says "secure", but how secure is it really? From the animation, it seems like a twist will unlock it. Not all, but most of my work is done inside wildfires, on quite harsh topography, so I'm looking for that very hard to find sweet spot between having my camera ready on the spot, but not having it dropped by accident while on the move around the hills and between the cinder.

Yeah, a 90 degree twist unlocks it.

It has a safety lanyard.

I've cycled on dirt tracks and clambered on rolling boats without an issue but YMMV.

I was sceptical about camo gear but have found wearing dull colours helps - a mottled brown and black flannel shirt brings me luck and a pale brown hat in rabbit-fur felt might help with our raptors as rabbits are a major source of food for them.

My aids to Wildlife shooting? Just right-click and choose "Save as"! Just kidding folks. Don't get in an uproar!

I'd give a thumbs up to Peak Design capture clips which I use to hold my A7r4 and 200-600mm on to one of the front straps of my camera backpack. The shoulders then take the weight of the kit and it's quick to release.
Also, in the cold weather- the Valleret Ipsoot gloves are great for keeping your hands warm but releasing the thumb and point finger for camera work.

This is a semi-mobile aid.

One of the best, and cheapest, things you can do with bird shooting is to shoot at their level. It brings the viewer into their world.

That may mean either laying your camera on the ground - not ideal with sand or mud - or close to it with an aid like this ...

naturescapes-skimmer-ii-02__85443.1500918812.1280.1280.jpg

It's a NatureScapes Skimmer Ground Pod II with an optional gimbal attached.

So you push it along in front of you as you make a silent commando approach.

Another option is to make a DIY job with a body board. That will float and gives more space for other stuff but it isn't quite as portable.

Dan Carr has some useful reviews of gear for crap conditions.

2 of mine ...

View attachment 5669

Mixing shooting with cycling, skiing or boating means I need my hands free and a Cotton Carrier Skout holster holds the camera firmly.

View attachment 5670

Since I use a bicycle to do most of my exploring, the CC scout with a6400 and E70-350G works well for me.

Camo netting with a separating zipper sewn along one edge makes an inexpensive, surprisingly effective, and highly portable blind. Birds have landed on me on multiple occasions.

Could you please provide a picture of yours ?
Highly interested.
From time to time I use this pop-up blind incl. a seat. But at the end of the day its a burdon to carry it around...

I was sceptical about camo gear but have found wearing dull colours helps - a mottled brown and black flannel shirt brings me luck and a pale brown hat in rabbit-fur felt might help with our raptors as rabbits are a major source of food for them.
If raptors prefer rabbits, not quite so sure I'd be wearing a rabbit fur felt hat! Yikes. ha ha

Anything for the shot.

Back