Followers
Following
Name
Jeff
Country
United States
City/State
Elk Grove, CA
Some of you may have seen my recent car show thread and one image I thought was striking. Not because of my photography, but because the car in question was so long and large!

The owners of said vehicle had put up an Easy-Up shade cover and it made it impossible to get a good composition of the front of the car, so I shot it anyway as best as I could.

As I looked at the image I thought, this would be the perfect use of Adobe’s new tool in Photoshop called “Generative Fill”. For those of you that are not familiar, Generative Fill has been released in a Beta version of Photoshop which is included in my $9.99 per month Photography Plan subscription along with the current version of Photoshop and numerous other programs. This looked like a tough task, but I gave it a try. It was amazingly easy! What do you think? Results below.

1. Bonneville with the post.jpg
2. Bonnevile without the Easy-Up pole.jpg

I had to use Screenshots for these images because the most recent release of Photoshop has an acknowledged glitch which when saving the image, the system will not take you back to Lightroom so that it can display the modified image.

Nice work! I'm new to PS/LR. What tool do you use to highlight the object you want to remove? I tried the lasso and it ended in a hilarious failure. :)

Nice work! I'm new to PS/LR. What tool do you use to highlight the object you want to remove? I tried the lasso and it ended in a hilarious failure. :)
I mostly use the Lasso but recently I have used the rectangle. You don't have to be too precise. I just finished another test that I will post on this thread.

Here is another experiment from the same event. I am trying to be cognizant of my reflection in the paint of the custom cars that I shoot with the mirror finishes that reflect so easily. This shot wasn't included in the album because I might as well had a tattoo in my forehead that said "ROOKY!"
3. Dodge Brothers .jpg

Holy Crap! Look at those ugly legs! Scroll down.

4. Dodge Brothers .jpg

I must say, it did a great job of removing my legs from the reflection, it did however have a mind of it's own with the Script.

In-painting in Affinity.

Worked quite well but the people where the pole is you can notice that something is different.
But if you posted that without the 1st shot I don't think many would notice. It is just that we know what has been done and this makes it stand out.
For me it works well and I would keep using it. Well done.

That reflection removal is very neat. I use LR and have not got into PS yet…looks like a lot of power in there.

That reflection removal is very neat. I use LR and have not got into PS yet…looks like a lot of power in there.
Right now, in the short term, the coordination between Lightroom and Photoshop has a "Bug". Normally though, you don't have to leave Lightproof to get to Photoshop and when your done, you are right back to Lightroom. I had a chance to experience this until a software release screwed up the process.. I think this has great possibilities when used correctly. The feature can be used to replace things in an image but so far that has too many unpredictable results.

When I first saw the reflection of my legs in the tailgate of the Dodge Pickup, I didn't attempt to do anything with it because I assumed that it was too great a task. In reality, it took my reflection out very well, it just didn't handle the script satisfactorily.

Just for fun I subscribed to Luminar Neo Pro for 24 months. It ends up being $75 for 2 years including the extensions. Looks like fun and easier to use than LR/PS. We'll see.

Just for fun I subscribed to Luminar Neo Pro for 24 months. It ends up being $75 for 2 years including the extensions. Looks like fun and easier to use than LR/PS. We'll see.
Friends don't let friends use Luminar. Look up the complaints online, they're easy to find. I had two versions on my computer and removed them. Their business practices are suspect at best. Put simply, they've lied to their customers for years.

Friends don't let friends use Luminar. Look up the complaints online, they're easy to find. I had two versions on my computer and removed them. Their business practices are suspect at best. Put simply, they've lied to their customers for years.
Lol… Oopsie. At $75 for two years I decided it was worth taking a flyer on Neo.
My problem with them before was that “perpetual” didn’t mean much In terms of upgrades.

I stopped using Luminar 4 a while back after discovering Topaz.

With the Neo Pro Subscription the upgrade thing is a non issue. Worst case - If it doesn’t work out - I’m out the cost of a few cocktails. :)

Sounds like you've experienced their excellent CS!

I noted when I was using Luminar 4 it created a Luminar library of thumbnails of every single image in my photos folder, whether I had opened them or not. That resulted in over 16,000 unnecessary images that had to be deleted after I dumped the program. I preordered Luminar AI but got a refund after they reneged on their long-time promise to create a DAM. I had no less than 6 people from Luminar contact me begging that I don't take the refund and at least try AI. I declined. Those issues coupled with their misleading 'perpetual' licensing was enough for me. Never again.

I just found a very informative video by Anthony Morganti on how to use Generative Fill to repair old photos. It's only 6 1/2 minutes and you can view it here.

Last edited:
I just found a very informative video by Anthony Morganti on how to use Generative Fill to repair old photos. It's only 6 1/2 minutes and you can view it here.
I need that. Thanks for sharing!

@Brownie - yep. Not my first rodeo with those guys. I'll tell you what though - the "Erase" was super quick and easy. Manageable artifacts that were quickly fixable. So far I am actually impressed. Easier than PS for sure for a post dumbazz like me. :)

I didn't get Neo for the DAM but will probably try it just for the fun of it as it is part of the deal.
Not a photo related factor but since Skylum is Ukranian I wanted to show them a little support too.

Some of you may have seen my recent car show thread and one image I thought was striking. Not because of my photography, but because the car in question was so long and large!

The owners of said vehicle had put up an Easy-Up shade cover and it made it impossible to get a good composition of the front of the car, so I shot it anyway as best as I could.

As I looked at the image I thought, this would be the perfect use of Adobe’s new tool in Photoshop called “Generative Fill”. For those of you that are not familiar, Generative Fill has been released in a Beta version of Photoshop which is included in my $9.99 per month Photography Plan subscription along with the current version of Photoshop and numerous other programs. This looked like a tough task, but I gave it a try. It was amazingly easy! What do you think? Results below.

View attachment 45386View attachment 45387
I had to use Screenshots for these images because the most recent release of Photoshop has an acknowledged glitch which when saving the image, the system will not take you back to Lightroom so that it can display the modified image.
Wow Jeff that looks great. I’m only looking at this in my phone but it looks like it did a great job. I have to learn how to use PS. I can’t seem to use the lasso, whenever I do it goes crazy and grabs everything! I must be doing something wrong with it, but your effort here has encouraged me to try again!

Wow Jeff that looks great. I’m only looking at this in my phone but it looks like it did a great job. I have to learn how to use PS. I can’t seem to use the lasso, whenever I do it goes crazy and grabs everything! I must be doing something wrong with it, but your effort here has encouraged me to try again!
Hi Jeff, I managed to use the PS beta Generative Fill to get rid of the two partial sheep from the top left and right of my image. Worked a treat! And I figured out how to use the Lasso tool and PS beta successfully talked to my LR! Many thanks for the heads up Jeff.
newforest_pirate_sheep_not_ai-13.jpg
  • ILCE-7M4
  • FE 70-200mm F2.8 GM OSS II
  • 200.0 mm
  • ƒ/2.8
  • 1/200 sec
  • ISO 1250
newforest_pirate_sheep_ai-12.jpg
  • ILCE-7M4
  • FE 70-200mm F2.8 GM OSS II
  • 200.0 mm
  • ƒ/2.8