Followers
Following
Name
Chris
Country
United States
City/State
Pembroke Pines/FL
So this is interesting: I assumed the menu on all newer Sony camera bodies was the same, and I went looking for the setup option "Anti-dust function, shutter when pwr off" which is present in the A7IV. On the A6700 however, this option does not exist. I guess I assumed that since it had the new menu, and a mechanical shutter, this option would be a no-brainer. It seems I expected too much from the budget-oriented APSC lineup 🤷‍♂️

Shutter when power off ain't all it's cracked up to be, from my point of view. I leave it turned off in my A7 IV, I don't even know if it exists in the A1.

Note​

• When [Shutter When Pwr OFF] is set to [On], attach the lens cap before storing the camera. Otherwise, a strong light source (such as sunlight) may become focused inside the camera, causing smoke or fire. :oops: Even if the light source is slightly away from the angle of view, it may still cause smoke or fire when the lens cap is not attached.
  • Do not touch the closed shutter with your fingers or clean it with a blower. The shutter may become damaged.
  • If there is a risk of water droplets adhering to the shutter, set [Shutter When Pwr OFF] to [Off]. If [Shutter When Pwr OFF] is set to [On], water droplets may adhere to the shutter and cause a malfunction.

Yeah...no...

Shutter when power off ain't all it's cracked up to be, from my point of view. I leave it turned off in my A7 IV, I don't even know if it exists in the A1.

Note​

• When [Shutter When Pwr OFF] is set to [On], attach the lens cap before storing the camera. Otherwise, a strong light source (such as sunlight) may become focused inside the camera, causing smoke or fire. :oops:Even if the light source is slightly away from the angle of view, it may still cause smoke or fire when the lens cap is not attached.
  • Do not touch the closed shutter with your fingers or clean it with a blower. The shutter may become damaged.
  • If there is a risk of water droplets adhering to the shutter, set [Shutter When Pwr OFF] to [Off]. If [Shutter When Pwr OFF] is set to [On], water droplets may adhere to the shutter and cause a malfunction.

Yeah...no...
And here I thought it was a desirable function to keep dust out while swapping lenses!

• When [Shutter When Pwr OFF] is set to [On], attach the lens cap before storing the camera. Otherwise, a strong light source (such as sunlight) may become focused inside the camera, causing smoke or fire. :oops:Even if the light source is slightly away from the angle of view, it may still cause smoke or fire when the lens cap is not attached.
I find this note odd because if the light is being focused enough to burn the shutter than it would certainly be enough to burn the sensor. This feature isn't the issue with this note the issue is storing the camera in a way that a strong light source is able to be directed through the lens.

These two seem like actual "take notice" type notes but are easily followed.

I've had this feature turned on with my A1 since they were first shipped and I've easily followed the notices and have had zero issues. I've continue to have far less dust on the A1 sensor than I find I have on my A7Riv which does not have the feature and get used far less.

The sensor is more robust than the shutter. I spend hours and hours in the bright sunlight walking around with the camera on a strap, the lens usually pointing sideways, and the cap isn't on. Not worth the risk. I clean my sensors once a year at the beginning of the season, which is plenty if I take care when changing lenses. I try not to change them alongside the track as well.

Here's the thing. Let's say that the shutter does stop dust from settling on the sensor. Ok, cool. You can't blow it off, the shutter is too fragile. So, where does the dust go when the shutter opens? Probably a good bit ends up on the sensor anyway.

Chris, the best thing to do is use good lens changing practices. Hold the camera facing down when the lens is off to avoid dust settling on the sensor. Use a jet blower (not an ear syringe) on the sensor once in a while. My typical flow is:
  • Loosen rear cap on desired lens
  • Hold camera facing down, release lens
  • Place cap on removed lens
  • Mount desired lens
  • Tighten cap on removed lens

Chris, the best thing to do is use good lens changing practices. Hold the camera facing down when the lens is off to avoid dust settling on the sensor. Use a jet blower (not an ear syringe) on the sensor once in a while. My typical flow is:
  • Mount desired lens
Yep, I do this anyway, so no change here. I just thought it was a cool feature for additional insurance, but since I don't have it on my camera no big deal.

Yep, I do this anyway, so no change here. I just thought it was a cool feature for additional insurance, but since I don't have it on my camera no big deal.
I thought was pretty cool too until I read that. I don't want to have one more thing to think about or remember, just easier to do what I've always done.

I find that very weird because hundreds or even thousands of millions of digital & film SLR’s going back to the 1950’s would have had the shutter closed most of the time and I have never heard of that being a problem!

I find that very weird because hundreds or even thousands of millions of digital & film SLR’s going back to the 1950’s would have had the shutter closed most of the time and I have never heard of that being a problem!
They had a mirror protecting the shutter. No more mirror.

The sensor is more robust than the shutter. I spend hours and hours in the bright sunlight walking around with the camera on a strap, the lens usually pointing sideways, and the cap isn't on. Not worth the risk. I clean my sensors once a year at the beginning of the season, which is plenty if I take care when changing lenses. I try not to change them alongside the track as well.

Here's the thing. Let's say that the shutter does stop dust from settling on the sensor. Ok, cool. You can't blow it off, the shutter is too fragile. So, where does the dust go when the shutter opens? Probably a good bit ends up on the sensor anyway.
It isn't like the strong light source is going to instantly cause a fire within the camera and it isn't like if the lens is pointed in the general direction of the strong light source this will always happen. If this was such a risk we probably would have seen a story about this by now given the number of A1, Cannon and Nikon cameras out there that do this.

You just don't blow directly on the shutter. I change lenses with the A1 often in many places and I have no noticeable dust, but my A7Riv that only has lenses changed in the house always ends up with dust on it.

It isn't like the strong light source is going to instantly cause a fire within the camera and it isn't like if the lens is pointed in the general direction of the strong light source this will always happen. If this was such a risk we probably would have seen a story about this by now given the number of A1, Cannon and Nikon cameras out there that do this.

You just don't blow directly on the shutter. I change lenses with the A1 often in many places and I have no noticeable dust, but my A7Riv that only has lenses changed in the house always ends up with dust on it.
You do you. I do not want to worry about disabling the feature when I spend 12 hours walking around in direct sunlight with the lens potentially pointing in the sun's direction. And since it's irrelevant to my process, it makes no difference. It doesn't need to 'always' happen, it only needs to happen once.

Sony clearly thinks it's enough of an issue that they needed to cover their asses with a disclaimer in the manual. We can continue to debate the subject, but I'll continue to observe Sony's notice and let others know it exists so they can decide for themselves. YMMV.

Because of how goofy this sounds:
  • When [Shutter When Pwr OFF] is set to [On], attach the lens cap before storing the camera. Otherwise, a strong light source (such as sunlight) may become focused inside the camera, causing smoke or fire. Even if the light source is slightly away from the angle of view, it may still cause smoke or fire when the lens cap is not attached.
I thought I would just check with Sony. I asked in regards to that note:
- Would the focusing of the strong light source also damage the sensor if the shutter was open?
- How long and how likely this such an event like this take?

Sony replied:
1. Yes, it would damage the sensor.
2. Only if you leave it where direct sunlight can shine on the objective lens.

So basically that note is there to tell you that if your camera is smoking you have been storing/positioning it wrong for a while and you have ruined your shutter but may have saved your sensor. Or because we warned you about this if this happens to you it won't be covered by the warranty.

I'd still rather toast my shutter on an A1 than risk the sensor

If you're NOT OCD as I am...and never change a lens where air is blowing around, always aiming the camera with the lens opening DOWN and have a lens with a loosened cap on the ready to, in one quick motion, drop the mount cap at the same time dropping the lens cap and joining them with near NO gap in space nor time . So far this has served me well. As for cleaning.........don't by any means count on just a blower bulb. I'd get a competent cleaning kit with fitted APS-C applicators for a specialized fluid and wet clean it if needed and get past the paranoia. It's the ONLY way you'll get ideal results.

If you're NOT OCD as I am...and never change a lens where air is blowing around, always aiming the camera with the lens opening DOWN and have a lens with a loosened cap on the ready to, in one quick motion, drop the mount cap at the same time dropping the lens cap and joining them with near NO gap in space nor time . So far this has served me well. As for cleaning.........don't by any means count on just a blower bulb. I'd get a competent cleaning kit with fitted APS-C applicators for a specialized fluid and wet clean it if needed and get past the paranoia. It's the ONLY way you'll get ideal results.
From post #5. We're on the same page.
I clean my sensors once a year at the beginning of the season, which is plenty if I take care when changing lenses. I try not to change them alongside the track as well.

• Mount desired lens

I find this note odd because if the light is being focused enough to burn the shutter than it would certainly be enough to burn the sensor. This feature isn't the issue with this note the issue is storing the camera in a way that a strong light source is able to be directed through the lens.

These two seem like actual "take notice" type notes but are easily followed.

I've had this feature turned on with my A1 since they were first shipped and I've easily followed the notices and have had zero issues. I've continue to have far less dust on the A1 sensor than I find I have on my A7Riv which does not have the feature and get used far less.
Well, the sensor is covered by a sheet of glass that can absorb some level of heat - the shutter is thin and could be damaged more quickly than the sensor. That's just a guess.

I was going to make a joke and say that the A9 III doesn't have the "close shutter at power off" function either. but that's not strictly correct. Yes, it doesn't have a shutter, but like the Z9, it has "close curtain at power off" function - a thing like a shutter, but rather more robust because it doesn't have to move in 1/8000 of a second :) I'm not using it, but it's there. It amused me that they bothered to change the name of it in the menu.

Back