Sony A7 IV Cleaning the sensor

FlapGlide

Newcomer
Followers
Following
Name
Mike
I've been learning about how to clean the sensor on the A7iv. I have watched several different videos and noticed a glaring difference. On some they put the camera into cleaning mode:

MENU → (Setup) → [Setup Option] → [Anti-dust Function] → [Sensor Cleaning] → [Enter].

Then clean it without turning the camera off. They state that it holds the sensor stationary.

Other videos:

They just clean it without even talking about cleaning mode and mention that the sensor wiggles some, just don't press hard. What the heck?

I'm going to assume that putting it into cleaning mode is the proper way because it locks the sensor stabilization system. And using VSGO swabs is a reasonable way to do it?

Yes VSGO swabs are the way. I have done it both ways (camera/stabilisation on and off) and there isn't much difference to be honest because let's face it, you aren't cleaning BBQ sauce off a grill, the amount of pressure you apply to the swab is very light.

Also, if you have the "Shutter with power off function" set to On, you'd need to have the camera on to clean the sensor, or turn that setting to Off so the shutter doesn't close on Power Off. They are both in the same part of the settings menu anyway, so either or.

I'd hate to accidentally hit the power button if you are using the "shutter off" feature while cleaning. I found a huge thread on the internet with people arguing about that feature on the camera. I'll use the cleaning mode feature to be safe regarding the sensor moving. Thanks for answering my question.

Back