Name
David Lewis
Country
United States
City/State
Delaware
CC Welcome
  1. Yes
In a couple weeks I'll be heading to Road Atlanta for my first IMSA race and race photographing opportunity and I am looking for any tips. I'll be taking the A1 and A7Riv with the 24-105 F4, 100-400GM and 200-600G. I'll be there for the practice and qualifying as well as the short 10 hour race so I should have some time to find a couple spots to shoot from.

Have any of you ever been there and know any spots that I should make sure I photograph from?
Any general advice for shooting race events?
Anything I should know about the track that isn't obvious like the size?

Thanks

Do you have media access or shooting from spectator positions? If media access they may have a few places you can go. If spectator, be prepared to shoot through chain-link fence.

Corners will be more exciting than straights. I would try to find some video of previous races and see if you can pinpoint a couple of spots. Take polarizers, lots of glare.

Do you have media access or shooting from spectator positions? If media access they may have a few places you can go. If spectator, be prepared to shoot through chain-link fence.

Corners will be more exciting than straights. I would try to find some video of previous races and see if you can pinpoint a couple of spots. Take polarizers, lots of glare.
Will be sure the CPL is in the bag. Great that it fits the 24-105 and 100-400 but the 200-600 will just have to deal with glare.

Just spectator access. In looking at other sites for things I have seen that they say there are "lots of good places to shoot from" (not many have said where) and images suggest that there are places in which a fence may not be an issue, though I am prepared for fences. I have watched a number of races over the years so I have a good idea of the track, it just covers a rather large area. Heard that rental golf carts are something to look into but a 2 day rental on those costs more than the rest of the trip combined (not a joke).

Will be sure the CPL is in the bag. Great that it fits the 24-105 and 100-400 but the 200-600 will just have to deal with glare.

Just spectator access. In looking at other sites for things I have seen that they say there are "lots of good places to shoot from" (not many have said where) and images suggest that there are places in which a fence may not be an issue, though I am prepared for fences. I have watched a number of races over the years so I have a good idea of the track, it just covers a rather large area. Heard that rental golf carts are something to look into but a 2 day rental on those costs more than the rest of the trip combined (not a joke).
Golf cart prices are insane, both purchase and rental. Look into one of these. I'm getting one for the track next year for when I want to go down to the top end. Small, light, not too expensive, easy to throw in your back seat. Up to 20 miles @ 20MPH should be plenty.

Back