Followers
Following
Name
David Taylor
Country
United Kingdom
City/State
Slinfold
I have switched recently from my Nikon D500 and 500mm PF to a Sony A9ii with 200-600 lens. I am loving the customisation options but have a question about back button focus. I inadvertently left Focus with Shutter selected to On when I set up BBAF and I am wondering if this could be an issue. I use the AF-On button for BIF and AEL button for static subjects. Many of my photos are sharp(ish) but not as sharp as I expected; is it possible that activating AF continuously through BBAF, and then again via the shutter button is causing a conflict?

Linked to this, I have purchased DXO Photolab 5 and am disappointed that so many of my raw images are blurred. I researched this issue and it seems that you have to zoom to 75% minimum for the preview to appear as shot, otherwise you are just looking at a JPEG preview.; has anybody else experienced this? Having spent £180 on the software with no refund available, I am a little disappointed. What editing software does display faithful previews? I suspect that prior to this research, I have been discarding pictures that were actually okay.

Hi David welcome.

I can advise on your BBAF issue and yes in my experience you need to either go with shutter+af on or elect to go with BBAF(via AFon button) and set shutter +af on to off.......

That said it depends on your experience, if you are used to BBAF with Nikon that is a a strong case to continue through with Sony.

In moving to a Sony mirrorless however, and in the absence of your advice as to the genre of images you shoot, the idea of setting your Sony to wide area focus(with our without tracking) and Shutter depress +af on does not disadvantage you for Images with clear foreground and backgrounds and similarity for other focus area settings.

I used to be a Nikon shooter and committed BBAF shooter.....and since I have moved to shutter+af on mode, as with a mirror less camera and the much greater focus area settings available BBAF is not so advantageous in my view.

Personally I am a wildlife shooter and have set up my sony A1 with shutter+AF using wide area focus with tracking as my primary setting
and have my AFON button set to a registered focus area (Zone with tracking), which uses the same other settings as my primary settings,and my AEL button set to static subject shooting conditions(registered shooting set-up)So that in practice i can easily switch between BIF in clear or enclosed environmental conditions whilst also moving to static subject conditions without having to take my eye from the VF.

Hope this helps, although I cannot comment on your DXO Photolab issues as a non user,others on the forum are better experienced to do so......

Thanks for your detailed response which was very helpful. I primarily photograph birds using BBAF and have the following custom settings:

AEL Button for static subjects: 1/1000s, Flexible spot medium with tracking, AF On.
AF-ON Button for BIF: 1/2500s, Wide with tracking, AF On.

I leave my AF with Shutter option to ON with a default of 1/1000s and Flexible spot small with tracking. I feel that this gives me the option of quickly switching from BBAF to Shutter focus in order to capture a small subject surrounded by clutter.

My concern is possible autofocus confusion when using BBAF and then pressing the shutter which also is programmed to focus. Does using BBAF override the autofocus on the shutter button?

Do my custom settings seem sensible for what I need?

AEL Button for static subjects: 1/1000s, Flexible spot medium with tracking, AF On.......shutter speed maybe a little high for your 600mm lens
AF-ON Button for BIF: 1/2500s, Wide with tracking, AF On........seems Ok, again shutter speed a little high if you want to keep ISO lower.

I leave my AF with Shutter option to ON with a default of 1/1000s and Flexible spot small with tracking. I feel that this gives me the option of quickly switching from BBAF to Shutter focus in order to capture a small subject surrounded by clutter......OK

My concern is possible autofocus confusion when using BBAF and then pressing the shutter which also is programmed to focus. Does using BBAF override the autofocus on the shutter button ........yes it does and your shutter button will actuate the shutter only.

Do my custom settings seem sensible for what I need..... comments as above, but nothing of any great concern in my opinion.......I try not to over prescribe shooting options as we all eventually find our way to a set up that is comfortable to us as individuals.

Good Luck..

Back