Name
Guy
Country
Australia
City/State
Sydney
CC Welcome
  1. Yes
Does anyone program the customisable buttons on some of the Sony lenses? Seems to me more likely use is for video (default is focus hold) but am interested if anyone finds it useful to program a lens button for a particular focus mode, L/R eye, or some specific function.

I have programmed for a quick access to silent shooting.

I didn't think you could on the 200 600

I have them all defeated or focus hold.

Why, do they get chilly? I recall a raincoat called London Fog, is that who made your lens coats? :p :unsure:
No but why would you not use lens coats it stops bumps and marks on the lens body, lens buttons are set to what make sense anyway

No but why would you not use lens coats it stops bumps and marks on the lens body, lens buttons are set to what make sense anyway
Never saw the need. 🤷‍♂️ Never had a lens get marked up or damaged. Even my 50 year old stuff still looks good.

Hoods, coats oh my god. Just because humans have been manipulated to be enslaved doesn't mean their lenses have to join them. Let the lenses be free..! 🚀

Hoods, coats oh my god. Just because humans have been manipulated to be enslaved doesn't mean their lenses have to join them. Let the lenses be free..! 🚀
As confusing as ever, its all about the buttons, people seem to need a button to everything for them

I have it programmed to crop mode along with C3 as well. So if I'm holding the lens I can access the lens button, and if I am holding the camera I can just flick C3 quickly.

For four years with my a6500 I had it set to eye auto focus. As a newbie a7iv owner, I'm using it for crop mode. Too.

Pretty sure you can program the button on any Sony FE lens that has a button. Absolutely certain that you can't if the lens doesn't have one, though...
The 200 600 has one, it's for focus lock, I never use it. I'll see if I can program it for something useful.

The 200 600 has one, it's for focus lock, I never use it. I'll see if I can program it for something useful.

I'd love to program mine to slow down time so I have a chance to catch a peregrine falcon in flight. Unfortunately, I seem to have missed the Tardis firmware update...

Thanks everyone for the comments. And Tony, just close your eyes and use The Force.

I'd love to program mine to slow down time so I have a chance to catch a peregrine falcon in flight. Unfortunately, I seem to have missed the Tardis firmware update...

Taken last week :)

DSC01566 copy.jpg
  • ILCE-7RM4
  • FE 200-600mm F5.6-6.3 G OSS
  • 600.0 mm
  • ƒ/7.1
  • 1/3200 sec
  • ISO 2500

Additionally, I have now programmed my lens button... No focus lock, I never use it, it now switches between monitor and viewfinder, which is great because auto never works and it means I won't look a nob staring into the viewfinder trying to change things.

Haven’t done it, but using it for APS-C crop appeals.

Had it set for eye AF on the A7R3, I think, but nothing since.

Haven’t done it, but using it for APS-C crop appeals.
Been there, done that, have the T-shirt. I disabled the buttons after that. If it could be setup as a momentary maybe, but I ended up shooting an entire event on the A7 IV at 15MP. It's too easy to push the button and not notice it in the heat of battle.

Been there, done that, have the T-shirt. I disabled the buttons after that. If it could be setup as a momentary maybe, but I ended up shooting an entire event on the A7 IV at 15MP. It's too easy to push the button and not notice it in the heat of battle.

I've had it programmed from day one. Not once has it stuffed me up.

I've had it programmed from day one. Not once has it stuffed me up.
Your shooting situation and mine are entirely different. You have the time to set up a tripod if you want, set your composition, decide all of the parameters, and take the shot when you're ready. I don't have that luxury. Sometimes it's all I can do to get the camera in position.

I programmed them for focusing but I don’t think I ever used it.

View the Latest Sony Lens Deals At: B&H Photo

Back