Newcomer
Followers
Following
Name
David
Country
Canada
Hi all,

First post but I tried to do a search and couldn't find this question..

I'm getting back into the photography game (had a Nex5r). Looking to grab the A6700

Would you purchase a camera from Amazon? It's sent from Amazon and sold by Amazon, but I've seen some horror stories in the past where a brick was sent etc

Just wondering if there's a preference to buy from Amazon (saves $200 - i feel this is a price error?) vs buying from a brick and mortar at msrp?

thanks in advance

Hi all,

I'm getting back into the photography game (had a Nex5r). Looking to grab the A6700

Would you purchase a camera from Amazon? It's sent from Amazon and sold by Amazon, but I've seen some horror stories in the past where a brick was sent etc

Just wondering if there's a preference to buy from Amazon (saves $200 - i feel this is a price error?) vs buying from a brick and mortar at msrp?

thanks in advance
Welcome.

I'm sure you'll get varying opinions. My answer is a resounding HELL NO. Is $200 worth the possible problems that could come with it, even at a later date? And yes, there are people who have and who do, and they will say they had no problems, etc. It only takes one time and I'd rather not be that guy.

There are decent online places to buy from. Ask yourself, since Sony sets retail and forces their dealers to abide, and everyone is selling it for the exact same price...why is this $200 less? Have you confirmed it's not grey market, for which you would likely not have the manufacturer's warranty?

Consider every angle before you click.

Hi all,

thanks in advance
Welcome aboard David.
I bought my a6400 from Amazon, and probably will buy my a6700 from them as well. As a Prime member, you just can't beat the instant gratification of fast shipping with accurate tracking AND they have always stood by their return policies in my experience. You are wise to watch who the camera is shipping from though, I would also be wary of an unknown supplier.

Welcome.

I'm sure you'll get varying opinions. My answer is a resounding HELL NO. Is $200 worth the possible problems that could come with it, even at a later date? And yes, there are people who have and who do, and they will say they had no problems, etc. It only takes one time and I'd rather not be that guy.

There are decent online places to buy from. Ask yourself, since Sony sets retail and forces their dealers to abide, and everyone is selling it for the exact same price...why is this $200 less? Have you confirmed it's not grey market, for which you would likely not have the manufacturer's warranty?

Consider every angle before you click.
Welcome aboard David.
I bought my a6400 from Amazon, and probably will buy my a6700 from them as well. As a Prime member, you just can't beat the instant gratification of fast shipping with accurate tracking AND they have always stood by their return policies in my experience. You are wise to watch who the camera is shipping from though, I would also be wary of an unknown supplier.

Thanks both of you for your feedback, i was searching up unboxing videos and found that Sony doesn't seal their NA boxes compared to other

I do appreciate that having a brick and mortar to go to for any issues vs the amazon 'chat' service if in need

Yes from me. They have a great return policy and are good at dealing with issues in my experience.

I have to amend what I said earlier. I would ordinarily have no issue ordering through Amazon, but this year I need some trade-in credit, so I might use B&H instead to upgrade my a6400 to the a6700.

I bought mine from Amazon as they had the best deal by far. Fast shipping and no problems at all, they provided a security code for confirming delivery.

To ammend myself, my lenses and accessories I bought them from other retailers. :oops:

I've bought cameras from Amazon but have moved away from them. For one, I've seen some horrid, lazy packing. Its gotten way worse. Second, the whole DP review abandonment thing (even though it worked out). I also try and support a local shop

I've bought a couple of lenses from amazon. No problems whatsoever and cracking discounts at the time. One arrived without the lenshood, which we can ALL agree on is unforgivable. They asked for the lens back which I declined as I needed it for a trip to Indonesia. They asked if they could reimburse me for the missing hood, which they did immediately. It was around £45.

There are certain shops that will price match. It will be worth a try to find a local shop and ask if they will do that. I’ve had great success in doing this in Canada.

London drugs would be your best bet. If one won’t match, go to another one, I’ve never failed to get the price matched

I have purchased one body and two lenses from Amazon. Never again (unless it is some insane price mistake)

The last two lenses were literally stuffed in a thinly padded envelope In the OEM boxes.

In the US Amazon is an authorized seller for Sony so anything new will be covered by the warranty. Other retailers also sell through Amazon such as Adorama. Anything that you get used will be determined by who the used retailer is that you select from. This means that you could get a used camera from Amazon, Adorama or some unknown retailer. Basically just check to see who the retailer is when you go to place the order.

My history is that I have purchased 4 cameras through Amazon and all of them have been covered by Sony's warranty or a warranty offered by Amazon. 2 of the cameras (and 4 of my lenses) were actually purchases from Adorama (I like their bundles of stuff for the same price as just the body/lens). My 1 used camera I purchased was from Amazon's used electronics stuff and I bought a warranty for it but had no issues with the camera and KEH didn't find any issues when I sold it to them. I have used the warranty I got from Amazon on another electronic purchase and it went well.

The real reason why I buy nearly all my gear from Amazon is that the bodies and lens have all qualified for the 5% rewards points (basically 5% cash back in the form of Amazon gift cards) when using my Amazon credit card.

Maybe it is just my local delivery center but what I buy tends to be over packed so I haven't had any feeling that the gear is damaged. One camera was lost by FedEx for a week but I can't really blame Amazon on that as my local FedEx is the worst.

Thanks all for the feedback, it seems like there's some varying replies depending on location. I'll check locally for price matching opportunities.

When ever you buy cameras, tvs, tools etc from Amazon, make sure first they are an authorized dealer, which in this case they are. Somethings may look like they are but they are not, for example both Makita and Bosch tools use Amazon as an authorized dealer but Milwaukee does not and anything bought from Amazon will not have the 5 year warranty. If it sold and shipped by Amazon that is usually a good sign,but I have not bought any camera bodies or lenses from them because basically I do not trust their packaging for those kinds of items. I have receive all sorts of things form them in just a padded envelope, just the other day I bought a small radio for Air Band listening and it came all by itself with no packaging at all, just a label across the plastic window of the original box. I prefer B&H for cameras and lenses all of their stuff is packed well and it takes maybe a day longer than Amazon.

I've only bought stuff from a retail outlet. Whatever I want I just search the hell out of it online. Then I find who has it in stock and get them to price match. I'd rather just be able to take it and speak to someone in person if I have any issues.

Plus the other thing also is it feels good to know that I'm helping keep someone employed who is also passionate about photography as I am.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back