Camera inserts for normal backpack, experiences?

Matthias

Well Known Member
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Followers
Following
Country
Canada
City/State
Toronto, Ontario
Hi there, I was wondering whether any of you has experience with using separate camera inserts to 'transform' a regular backpack into a camera bag?

As an example, Peak Design (Link) has them and they can be found in all shapes and forms on Amazon.

I don't like the way most camera bags look and when browsing a store that sells outdoor stuff I saw a few good looking backpacks (the North Face and Patagonia) that are around 30l. By using inserts I feel like the camera and lenses are better protected as opposed to using the bags that come with the lens, and when removing the inserts I can use the bag also when not carrying my cameras.

Any experience that you have and want to share?

I don't know anything about the inserts. But what I will say is I also felt the same where I felt the camera backpacks all looked weird. Then I came across the Lowepro Flipside bags. I own the 200 and 400 versions and they are both amazing and actually look like normal backpacks. The 400 for the amount of stuff I can fit in there is still not what I'd consider a large bulky bag either, they are both very well designed and leave absolutely zero concerns for the welfare of my gear.

Just thought I'd mention it... 🙂

I've looked at doing this before, but it really depends on on the gear you carry. I like the flipside bags too, but for the 200 600 they aren't practical, and I love my Manfrotto Redbee for that.

I've looked at doing this before, but it really depends on on the gear you carry. I like the flipside bags too, but for the 200 600 they aren't practical, and I love my Manfrotto Redbee for that.
Thanks! Yes it depends. My current backpack has a hole in it so rather sooner than later will have to update.

When I carry my camera, it's just the a6300 with the 100-400. Sometimes I bring the smaller 35gm as well. The 100-400 is attached to the body and inside the bag that came with it and the body sticks out. The backpack is 25l and holds my camera and lenses and all the stuff I bring for a day outside.

Will have a second (better) look at the backpacks designed to carry camera gear, thank you for your suggestion!

I don't know anything about the inserts. But what I will say is I also felt the same where I felt the camera backpacks all looked weird. Then I came across the Lowepro Flipside bags. I own the 200 and 400 versions and they are both amazing and actually look like normal backpacks. The 400 for the amount of stuff I can fit in there is still not what I'd consider a large bulky bag either, they are both very well designed and leave absolutely zero concerns for the welfare of my gear.

Just thought I'd mention it... 🙂
Good suggestion! Looks also good indeed, will check in store to get a feel for it as well!

I always use a dedicated camera backpack and have gone through a few different ones over the years. Honestly I never thought of them looking any different than a generic backpack. They typically come in black (my favorite color), so I suppose if you don't like black that could be an issue. But otherwise I guess I don't really understand the difference? I am NOT saying your point is invalid, just saying for ME I don't see it as an issue. A problem I foresee with using inserts is a "regular" backpack will still have soft sides and back, whereas a camera backpack will have stiffer sides and back with padding.

I went through this, and still have a big, heavy, empty, unused Vanguard to show for it. I wanted something that would configure to
  • A body and the 200-600, check
  • 2 bodies, one with the 100-400 mounted and one with the 24-105, plus two spare lenses, check
  • One or two bodies, a couple of lenses, and enough personal gear, food, etc. for a day pack, check
  • A day pack, check.
After the Vanguard and trying Lowepro Flipsides in two different sizes and other various packs I went to my local shop and ended up with a Peak Design Everday 30L. It can be configured to anything I want and carries an inordinate amount of photography gear, personal gear, or any combination thereof.

I always use a dedicated camera backpack and have gone through a few different ones over the years. Honestly I never thought of them looking any different than a generic backpack. They typically come in black (my favorite color), so I suppose if you don't like black that could be an issue. But otherwise I guess I don't really understand the difference? I am NOT saying your point is invalid, just saying for ME I don't see it as an issue. A problem I foresee with using inserts is a "regular" backpack will still have soft sides and back, whereas a camera backpack will have stiffer sides and back with padding.
I see your point, and it's a valid one. It is just that I find the "non-photo"-backpacks are prettier and lighter. Also, I intend to use the backpack also when I do not bring my camera. My aim is to have less stuff in general, hence the reason to look for a generic backpack and using inserts when bringing the camera. Hope this shines a light on my reasoning :)

I see your point, and it's a valid one. It is just that I find the "non-photo"-backpacks are prettier and lighter. Also, I intend to use the backpack also when I do not bring my camera. My aim is to have less stuff in general, hence the reason to look for a generic backpack and using inserts when bringing the camera. Hope this shines a light on my reasoning :)
I know people who prefer to use regular packs with inserts. I know one guy who uses an outfitters pack and just tosses his lenses all together in one of the compartments. Before you think he's nuts, he's a professional photo guide in Alaska that specializes in Wildlife and Aurora Borealis outings. If you do decide to use a regular backpack, there are some things to keep in mind.

Zippers on good camera bags and packs are heavier duty. Camera gear weighs a lot more than clothing and personal accessories. Companies like Peak Design, LowePro, Vanguard, Manfrotto etc. can't risk their name on a cheap zipper ripping out as you're walking along. Your chosen bag should have quality hardware.

Many camera packs are designed to stop people from accessing your gear when you're walking down the street or standing in a crowd. Yes, that's a thing. If you plan to use your bag in that type of setting, make sure there are no compartments that are easily accessible from the back, or that zippers can be secured/locked.

When carrying a combination of camera and personal gear, you want the weight (camera gear) high on your back, with the lighter items like clothing at the bottom. Carrying weight low on your back will add to fatigue and soreness. When looking at a daypack, check the options to see if it can be configured as such.

Last edited:
I went through this, and still have a big, heavy, empty, unused Vanguard to show for it. I wanted something that would configure to
  • A body and the 200-600, check
  • 2 bodies, one with the 100-400 mounted and one with the 24-105, plus two spare lenses, check
  • One or two bodies, a couple of lenses, and enough personal gear, food, etc. for a day pack, check
  • A day pack, check.
After the Vanguard and trying Lowepro Flipsides in two different sizes and other various packs I went to my local shop and ended up with a Peak Design Everday 30L. It can be configured to anything I want and carries an inordinate amount of photography gear, personal gear, or any combination thereof.
The Peak Design Everyday is a great backpack, but I personally I don't like the looks that much. I have some questions, as I might have to get over the looks and consider this one as well. Thanks!
  • Do you also use it as a 'normal' backpack? If yes, can/do you remove the inserts to have a big compartment?
  • Is it possible to only have inserts in a specific part of the pack? (I guess I will only fill part of it with camera gear)

The Peak Design Everyday is a great backpack, but I personally I don't like the looks that much. I have some questions, as I might have to get over the looks and consider this one as well. Thanks!
  • Do you also use it as a 'normal' backpack? If yes, can/do you remove the inserts to have a big compartment?
  • Is it possible to only have inserts in a specific part of the pack? (I guess I will only fill part of it with camera gear)
Yes and yes. Honestly, you're putting thousands of dollars worth of gear into this backpack. The most important aspects should be protection and comfort. While it's nice to consider aesthetics, they need to be further down the list.

This is well worth the watch, and it's entertaining to boot.

I know people who prefer to use regular packs with inserts. I know one guy who uses an outfitters pack and just tosses his lenses all together in one of the compartments. Before you think he's nuts, he's a professional photo guide in Alaska that specializes in Wildlife and Aurora Borealis outings. If you do decide to use a regular backpack, there are some things to keep in mind.

Zippers on good camera bags and packs are heavier duty. Camera gears weighs a lot more than clothing and personal accessories. Companies like Peak Design, LowePro, Vanguard, Manfrotto etc. can't risk their name on a cheap zipper ripping out as you're walking along. Your chosen bag should have quality hardware.

Many camera packs are designed to stop people from accessing your gear when you're walking down the street or standing in a crowd. Yes, that's a thing. If you plan to use your bag in that type of setting, make sure there are no compartments that are easily accessible from the back, or that zippers can be secured/locked.

When carrying a combination of camera and personal gear, you want the weight (camera gear) high on your back, with the lighter items like clothing at the bottom. Carrying weight low on your back will add to fatigue and soreness. When looking at a daypack, check the options to see if it can be configured as such.
Thank you so much for these pointers! My current backpack (got it as a Christmas gift from work) is not that high quality and it ripped when I had my laptop and camera in it.

It makes sense to look for backpacks that are not that easy accessible by others. On the other hand, when using a regular backpack, pickpockets might have less interest as they cannot assume there will be camera gear inside.

Indeed, packing the bag right makes all the difference and this is something I will take into account. The bags I saw just looked so good (and I am in need of a new one) which started me thinking to have 1 bag that can do both (using inserts). Also, when hiking I am going to clip the camera to the shoulder strap (I ordered the peak design clip to do that) to have the camera handy.

One thing I will add, I rarely carry mine with me anyway, as I nearly always shoot wildlife the 200 600 is a permanent attachment on the camera, so I have a spare battery in a pocket and will sometimes carry the macro in another in Summer, so it does also depend on if you hike around carrying loads of gear, because if you don't a smaller pack could be ideal, especially as you don't have a big camera body.

I actually bought the Flipside 400 for this very reason too. I think it's the best thing since sliced bread...

View attachment 29984

Last edited by a moderator:
I wanted to love the Flipside I tried, my problem came with the second body and the 80-200/2.8. Just a bit too much for it.

Do you also use it as a 'normal' backpack? If yes, can/do you remove the inserts to have a big compartment?
As far as I know, just about every camera backpack uses inserts that are adjustable and removeable.

I have just bought the Vanguard VEO Select 49,It fits the A1,with 200-600 and 1.4 converter mounted.
All good so far

Yes and yes. Honestly, you're putting thousands of dollars worth of gear into this backpack. The most important aspects should be protection and comfort. While it's nice to consider aesthetics, they need to be further down the list.

This is well worth the watch, and it's entertaining to boot.

That's a good point as well. The video is really nice, they know how to sell their things... Now I want one! :LOL:

One thing I will add, I rarely carry mine with me anyway, as I nearly always shoot wildlife the 200 600 is a permanent attachment on the camera, so I have a spare battery in a pocket and will sometimes carry the macro in another in Summer, so it does also depend on if you hike around carrying loads of gear, because if you don't a smaller pack could be ideal, especially as you don't have a big camera body.
That is somewhat similar to how I have used backpacks until now. I store it in the bag and take it out when at my destination/hike then store it again when travelling home. During the hike it hangs on a strap (or soon on a clip attached to the shoulder strap of the backpack).

Looking at the future, I can see some lenses that might get added to the collection and eventually a full-frame body as well so it would be nice to have a little more space in the bag.

I actually bought the Flipside 400 for this very reason too. I think it's the best thing since sliced bread...

View attachment 29984
Thanks for sharing! I like these kind of pictures, it shows way better how you can pack a bag compared to the pictures on the websites of the brands themself.

That's a good point as well. The video is really nice, they know how to sell their things... Now I want one! :LOL:
I've threatened before to take a shot of the backpack loaded, then unload everything and take another. The amount of stuff it holds is amazing.

I've threatened before to take a shot of the backpack loaded, then unload everything and take another. The amount of stuff it holds is amazing.
Well... I love those shots, so if you are still up to it and have time to do it, please do so!

Small update:

I came across this series of articles which I found very useful and insightful BEST BACKPACK / RUCKSACK FOR HIKING PHOTOGRAPHERS (2021).

For me, and how I intend to use the backpack it makes more sense to go for a 'regular' one and use inserts/cubes for the camera. Step 1 will be fitting and finding a backpack and step 2 will be fitting and finding inserts for it.

I will update again when I get my setup!

Last update to conclude:

I purchased the Deuter Futura 23 (Link), a Capture Clip from Peak Design (Link), and the Wandrd Essential Camera Cube (Link).

I love the backpack, it is designed to carry around 6kg comfortably for a whole day and in my experience you can even load more in it and it won't feel like a burden. By using the camera cube I can transform it into a camera backpack and with the clip I always have the camera ready. The bag has some straps and cords so I can attach my tripod to the exterior as well.

For me this is ideal, as sometimes I won't bring my camera on hikes (just the binoculars) and carry a lot of other stuff for a full day hike.

Are you happy with your choices? I am looking now as well and considering doing something similar because I am a petite woman and like how the Osprey Backpacks fit me. I wish they made a camera specific one!

Are you happy with your choices? I am looking now as well and considering doing something similar because I am a petite woman and like how the Osprey Backpacks fit me. I wish they made a camera specific one!
Yes, very happy!

In the meantime I also got more 'urban' backpack (for work but can be used for cirty trips as well) and the cube fits in there perfectly.

I'm also considering buying a small sling (3-5l) that fits in the backpack for times I only bring 1 or 2 lenses.

Yes, very happy!
That's great! It can be challenging finding a pack that is comfortable for long hikes with a heavy load. I settled on a Mindshift Backpack that has an adjustable harness system, so I'm hoping it will work for me. I saw these online and wondered if you knew about their existence for future reference in case you needed to bring much more photo gear? https://www.deuter.com/ee-en/shop/backpacks/c654953-camera-bags I just wanted to bring it to your attention.

Back