DaveC Oz

Well Known Member
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Followers
Following
Name
Dave
Okay, so I am noticing that my photo's show which lens and settings I've used (unless it's a manual lens), but they never show the camera details in the metadata strip under the photo's. Any pointers as to what I'm doing wrong? As an aside photo's that I've posted to Flickr are showing the camera details, and the original jpg's show the camera when you look at file details.

Solution
Dave, I think I have it figured out, let me test: nope, I haven't figured it out yet.
I thought it had something to do with the metadata preferences in the export screen.View attachment 52405
^ This is ON1 2024, and even though Camera Info is part of the export, the camera model does not show up when I post the image. I will look into it some more, because now I'm curious if its an ON1 bug.
Thanks for trying Chris, as I've said above I'm not really stressed about it, it's more just a curious quirk to me now. I just figured I may as well pose the question to see if there was something obvious that I was missing. I've also found that, even though it doesn't appear in the image data under each photo I post, if I click on the image, and...
Okay, so I am noticing that my photo's show which lens and settings I've used (unless it's a manual lens), but they never show the camera details in the metadata strip under the photo's. Any pointers as to what I'm doing wrong? As an aside photo's that I've posted to Flickr are showing the camera details, and the original jpg's show the camera when you look at file details.
I think it's a forum glitch. I've noticed it on other peoples posts too.

Thanks Kev. It just seemed like nearly every post I was looking at the camera model was showing. Given that this is not the only place that I post photo's, and it seems to happen with most of my other posts as well, I started trying to find what it was that I was doing wrong. However when I shared some of the same files via a private Flickr album with my wife, she actually commented that "oh it even show which camera you used".

It is a bit weird. The only other thing I can think is that some processing programs affect it, or if it's direct from the camera jpeg.

Images I've posted to Flickr and then linked here never show exif, you have to go to Flickr to see it. It's the only forum I've ever posted on that does this. You may notice too sometimes a very odd aperture setting, like 7.99999998, but I don't know where that's originating.

Just noticed that my castle shots don't show that the lens is a Tamron, so maybe it's a manufacturer thing?

Don't know Kev. I'm not to stressed about it. It's just one of those things that bugs me a little because I don't know why mine don't when others do. Personally I tag my files with camera model numbers from the A6600 onwards. So even just seeing the file name will tell me what camera produced the file.
It may be related to my use of On1 as an editor, it's just strange that the files I export display all the camera details in the windows property box but the model disappears when I post.

Thanks for your reply too Tim. The Flickr reference was mainly to point out that the data is definitely present with the file. All my posts so far have been directly from my local drives. Like I say, it's no big deal to me, just something that I figured might have a simple solution, so I asked the question in the hope that there might be an easy fix.

Dave, I also use ON1, and I have noticed the same. For whatever its worth, I post directly from my editing laptop and don't use Flickr.
For example: https://www.alphashooters.com/community/threads/forest-fairy.8190/
In that thread, the lens is clearly labeled and the settings are shown, but the camera model name/number is not. I may look into the export settings in ON1.

Dave, I think I have it figured out, let me test: nope, I haven't figured it out yet.
I thought it had something to do with the metadata preferences in the export screen.
Screenshot 2023-12-13 155850.jpg

^ This is ON1 2024, and even though Camera Info is part of the export, the camera model does not show up when I post the image. I will look into it some more, because now I'm curious if its an ON1 bug.

Last edited:
I thought it had something to do with the metadata preferences in the export screen.View attachment 52405
Thanks for trying Chris, as I've said above I'm not really stressed about it, it's more just a curious quirk to me now. I just figured I may as well pose the question to see if there was something obvious that I was missing. I've also found that, even though it doesn't appear in the image data under each photo I post, if I click on the image, and select the view metadata section that comes up on the right, all camera info is displayed there. So it would appear that the data is there, but not entirely displayed under the photo.
I think I will mark the question as answered, then we can all get back to taking photo's, and enjoying the photo's others have taken.

Solution
@DaveC Oz have you updated to ON1 24.1? I'm in the process of updating and then I'll try exporting my raw files to jpg to see if anything changes.

@DaveC Oz have you updated to ON1 24.1? I'm in the process of updating and then I'll try exporting my raw files to jpg to see if anything changes.
Already updated, it is only in the data displayed under the photo's that are an annoyance. The metadata is there in the jpg files, it just doesn't display with the lens/shutter/aperture data. I'm also observing some weird aperture data (e.g. 3.9997 instead of 4.0), not sure what's happening there, but I see it on other peoples posts as well. I'm sort of resigned to just marking it down to "computers being Murphies' best friend"

Already updated, it is only in the data displayed under the photo's that are an annoyance. The metadata is there in the jpg files, it just doesn't display with the lens/shutter/aperture data. I'm also observing some weird aperture data (e.g. 3.9997 instead of 4.0), not sure what's happening there, but I see it on other peoples posts as well. I'm sort of resigned to just marking it down to "computers being Murphies' best friend"
Ah, I understand.

Back