Name
Gary Finn
Country
Australia
City/State
Coogee Beach
CC Welcome
  1. Yes
Shopping at the hardware store today and found a toolbox lined with pick and pull foam. All different sizes, but I chose one small enough to fit in the overhead locker, for just $70 Aus. All fitted out now, alas, it weighs more than a pregnant Labrador.

CE0A5CFD-5953-42C6-9084-03982F999B92.jpeg

27C12D8A-938C-4C14-8118-A648D1F3B9A0.jpeg

Be cautious about long-term storage in foam. It can retain moisture in humid environments and cause all kinds of problems. Good for protection while out, but not for storage.
Good to know. I was wondering about resolving humidity. It’s 60-70% here all year round.

Looks pretty bloody comfy in there! I'm thinking maybe next life I will come back as a G Master lens...

Looks like a really good setup for protecting cameras and lenses while travelling. I am currently using a Thinktank roller (Airport Advantage, I think), but your solution is far cheaper and better padded. Did you get it from Bunnings, or somewhere else?

You could get one of those rechargeable dessicants to put in it if you want to use it for storage.

I just buy a couple of hundred of the little throw away silica bags off ebay, then continually put fresh ones in my camera bags every two weeks. ✅

Looks like a really good setup for protecting cameras and lenses while travelling. I am currently using a Thinktank roller (Airport Advantage, I think), but your solution is far cheaper and better padded. Did you get it from Bunnings, or somewhere else?
Yeah, Bunnings in aisle 44.
Im probably going to go back and buy two smaller ones, as well. Pretty handy!

I wonder about storage in total darkness, does that promote fungal growth inside your lenses?

I wonder about storage in total darkness, does that promote fungal growth inside your lenses?

I doubt it would help or hinder fungus growth - fungus can grow in darkness or light.

Humidity would be a bigger factor, I think.

Any time I get a package that comes with a desiccant pack I throw the desiccant pack in one of my photo gear cases / bags instead of throwing away.

P.S. Nice case. Did you cut the foam yourself? It usually doesn't come out so neat when I cut the foam myself.

Last edited:
Any time I get a package that comes with a desiccant pack I throw the desiccant pack in one of my photo gear cases / bags instead of throwing away.
P.S. Nice case. Did you cut the foam yourself? It usually doesn't come out so neat when I cut the foam myself.
yes, I was dreading to prospect of cutting foam, but the case was filled with diced foam, ready for customization. When I’m satisfied with the contents I’ll buy replacement foam so everything is nicely spaced.

I’m thinking of a case for everything - then a smaller overhead luggage case. This one is already too heavy for overhead luggage.

IMG_5281.jpeg

Shopping at the hardware store today and found a toolbox lined with pick and pull foam. All different sizes, but I chose one small enough to fit in the overhead locker, for just $70 Aus. All fitted out now, alas, it weighs more than a pregnant Labrador.

View attachment 33611
View attachment 33612
Be sure and take the battery out...corrosion

Back