CaptureOne - export performance doubling tip

Welcome to the New Sony Alpha Shooters Community
Our community was only launched in August 2020 but is already thriving thanks to many amazing and helpful members. We'd love to welcome you on board too!
Join Now

Reciprocum

Well Known Member
Original poster
Followers
Following
Jan 9, 2021
Name
Afonso Santos
Country
Portugal
For file organization purpouses I always create a folder per session and then, under it, subfolders for raw file imports (I name it "%") and JPEG file exports (I name it "$").

During a 6x-recipe 300+ image long export batch I was wondering if there could be any (new) way to improve on the 1h+ rendering times (already have 32GB RAM, eGPU with MacOs has proven to be a rolling disaster full of crashes with each OS upgrade) and then it struck me: I was doing the colossal mistake of having both the RAW files and the export Output location on the same (external Thunderbolt-3 Rocket XTRM-Q SSD) drive !
Just by pointing the export location to my internal SSD drive (eg "Desktop/C1_exports") I cut the export time in half because I can split the input IO (reading the RAWs) from the output IO (writing the JPEGs and TIFFs).
In the end of the export I move the exports to the place I wanted them to be originally. It is one more step in the workflow but it does accelerate it significantly.

Last edited:

Spiderx1

Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Nov 20, 2020
Name
Randy Siers
Great Tip!! I am guilty of the same thing. I typically have 1500-2000 raw frames, sort in Photo Mechanic and cull. Then import into light room the 400-500 decent shots. Then end up with 250-350 final shots. So this could save me some time. thanks

Reciprocum

Well Known Member
Original poster
Followers
Following
Jan 9, 2021
Name
Afonso Santos
Country
Portugal
Actually I might apply the exact same technique to the RAW ingest-and-backup process, I will point the backup folder to a different drive from now on too. I have 2 external drives but only one of them is Thunderbolt, so I didn't want to do the backup onto a folder of the USB drive, but now will do the backup to the internal SSD (while the to-be-edited RAWs land on the fastest external SSD drive) first and then just move it (while I do other things like editing) to where I usually had it.

Pro Membership Upgrade

• If you'd like to support this community you can easily do so by becoming a Pro Member and unlocking the following benefits:

✓ No Adverts in the Forums
    ✓ Pro Member Competitions
    ✓ Sell Items in the Marketplace
    ✓ Unlimited Gallery Uploads
    ✓ Higher Resolution Gallery Uploads
    ✓ Forum Profile Signature
    ✓ Custom Profile Cover Photo
    ✓ Advertise Your Photography Workshops

Pro Member Upgrade

Shopping Links

You can also support this site by purchasing gear through the following affiliate links:
Although I would recommend supporting your local camera store if you have one.

User Menu

alpha shooters text logo

© 2020 Alpha Shooters. All Rights Reserved.
Disclaimer: Alpha Shooters is an independently run website and is not affiliated with Sony.com
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.