Reciprocum

Well Known Member
Followers
Following
Name
Afonso Santos
Country
Portugal
For file organization purpouses I always create a folder per session and then, under it, subfolders for raw file imports (I name it "%") and JPEG file exports (I name it "$").

During a 6x-recipe 300+ image long export batch I was wondering if there could be any (new) way to improve on the 1h+ rendering times (already have 32GB RAM, eGPU with MacOs has proven to be a rolling disaster full of crashes with each OS upgrade) and then it struck me: I was doing the colossal mistake of having both the RAW files and the export Output location on the same (external Thunderbolt-3 Rocket XTRM-Q SSD) drive !
Just by pointing the export location to my internal SSD drive (eg "Desktop/C1_exports") I cut the export time in half because I can split the input IO (reading the RAWs) from the output IO (writing the JPEGs and TIFFs).
In the end of the export I move the exports to the place I wanted them to be originally. It is one more step in the workflow but it does accelerate it significantly.

Last edited:
Great Tip!! I am guilty of the same thing. I typically have 1500-2000 raw frames, sort in Photo Mechanic and cull. Then import into light room the 400-500 decent shots. Then end up with 250-350 final shots. So this could save me some time. thanks

Actually I might apply the exact same technique to the RAW ingest-and-backup process, I will point the backup folder to a different drive from now on too. I have 2 external drives but only one of them is Thunderbolt, so I didn't want to do the backup onto a folder of the USB drive, but now will do the backup to the internal SSD (while the to-be-edited RAWs land on the fastest external SSD drive) first and then just move it (while I do other things like editing) to where I usually had it.

Back