Following
Name
Chris
Country
United States
City/State
Pembroke Pines/FL
Earlier this week from Sony:

Notice and apology regarding temporary suspension of orders for digital imaging products​

Dear customers,
Thank you for your continued patronage of Sony products.
Currently, with regard to digital imaging products, parts procurement is delayed due to the effects of global semiconductor shortages.
Therefore, after November 19, 2021, we will suspend the acceptance of orders from our distributors and customers at the Sony store for certain models with tight supply. ..
Regarding the resumption of order acceptance, we will consider it while observing the status of parts supply, and will inform you separately on the product information page.
We deeply apologize for any inconvenience caused to our customers.
We will do our utmost to deliver the product as soon as possible, and we appreciate your understanding.

[Products subject to suspension of order acceptance]​

Digital single-lens camera: α7 II series / α6400 series / α6100 body (black)
Shotgun microphone: ECM-B1M
Professional camcorder: PXW-Z190

Then more of the same:

I'm really happy to have my A6400 at this particular time and promise to give it more love since Sony won't 😅

I'm really surprised they are stopping production of the a6400, it's definitely the most popular of the a6100/a6400/a6600 trio. Maybe retailers already have thousands in stock? Unless they knocked $500 off the price of the a6600 I wouldn't be tempted by this model. Glad I have my a6400 already :)

I'm really surprised they are stopping production of the a6400, it's definitely the most popular of the a6100/a6400/a6600 trio. Maybe retailers already have thousands in stock? Unless they knocked $500 off the price of the a6600 I wouldn't be tempted by this model. Glad I have my a6400 already :)
Yes, I was also shocked.
I don't think this bodes well for them introducing too many new models next year. Pity.

Yes, I was also shocked.
I don't think this bodes well for them introducing too many new models next year. Pity.
It will be interesting to see what the availability of the new a7 IV will be like. Although to be fair everyone is struggling right now, a lot of the new Canon RF lenses are very difficult to find in stock. Maybe secondhand values will start to shoot up and I can offload some old gear :)

It will be interesting to see what the availability of the new a7 IV will be like. Although to be fair everyone is struggling right now, a lot of the new Canon RF lenses are very difficult to find in stock. Maybe secondhand values will start to shoot up and I can offload some old gear :)
I have been quietly worried about the A7 IV, but it sounds like that this model will not be affected. Now, if my fellow countrymen can get their s*** together and figure out how to unload ships, maybe things will work out. does anyone know how Sony ships to the US and to how many places?

Although not mentioned in the article I just noticed that the a9 Mk1 is also showing as "no longer available" at B&H and it's also no longer coming up at Park or Wex in the UK.

They haven't listed the A9 1 for some time. This chip shortage may force Sony to cull their lineup, something it seems they can't come to terms with on their own. Does seem odd the 6400 is in that group, but I'm sure they have their reasons.

@Jeff A, I'd be willing to bet camera stuff gets shipped via air. It's small enough to make sense. I'm also thinking they won't risk a delay with this new body or the 70-200 amid all the hype.

As you know it's a worldwide problem, and I hope they'll be able to solve as soon as possible, even though I have some doubt. Anyway, we'll see what happens.

Back