Followers
Following
Name
Alex Pler
Country
Spain
City/State
Barcelona
A few days ago I visited Valencia for the first time. Of all the many interesting spots, City of Arts and Science was my favourite. A complex of diverse museums with futurist architecture surrounded by water. I spent almost 3 hours there and took 150+ shots. These are some of my favourites.

A7C09071.jpg
  • ILCE-7C
  • FE 40mm F2.5 G
  • 40.0 mm
  • ƒ/8
  • 1/500 sec
  • ISO 100

A7C09137.jpg
  • ILCE-7C
  • FE 40mm F2.5 G
  • 40.0 mm
  • ƒ/8
  • 1/1250 sec
  • ISO 100

A7C08893.jpg
  • ILCE-7C
  • FE 40mm F2.5 G
  • 40.0 mm
  • ƒ/8
  • 1/1250 sec
  • ISO 100

A7C09170.jpg
  • ILCE-7C
  • FE 40mm F2.5 G
  • 40.0 mm
  • ƒ/8
  • 1/500 sec
  • ISO 100

A7C08999.jpg
  • ILCE-7C
  • FE 40mm F2.5 G
  • 40.0 mm
  • ƒ/8
  • 1/1600 sec
  • ISO 100

A7C08944.jpg
  • ILCE-7C
  • FE 40mm F2.5 G
  • 40.0 mm
  • ƒ/5.6
  • 1/400 sec
  • ISO 100

A7C09053.jpg
  • ILCE-7C
  • FE 40mm F2.5 G
  • 40.0 mm
  • ƒ/8
  • 1/1000 sec
  • ISO 100

A7C08975.jpg
  • ILCE-7C
  • FE 40mm F2.5 G
  • 40.0 mm
  • ƒ/5.6
  • 1/80 sec
  • ISO 100

A7C09035.jpg
  • ILCE-7C
  • FE 40mm F2.5 G
  • 40.0 mm
  • ƒ/8
  • 1/320 sec
  • ISO 100

A7C09152.jpg
  • ILCE-7C
  • FE 40mm F2.5 G
  • 40.0 mm
  • ƒ/8
  • 1/500 sec
  • ISO 100

Last edited:
These are all sensational mate! Looks like a photographer's wonderland! 👏

Did the girl on the bike just happen to be riding by..?

These are all sensational mate! Looks like a photographer's wonderland! 👏

Did the girl on the bike just happen to be riding by..?

Thanks for the feedback!

Yes it was full of photographers enjoying the cityscape. Each building and construction changes a lot depending on your position and the direction of the sunlight. It was a really fun session.

As for the girl on the bike she was posing for another photographer (who had a zoom and was presumably shooting portraits of her) and I took advantage of that. She noticed me but now it seems like she was posing for me haha.

Thanks for the feedback!

Yes it was full of photographers enjoying the cityscape. Each building and construction changes a lot depending on your position and the direction of the sunlight. It was a really fun session.

As for the girl on the bike she was posing for another photographer (who had a zoom and was presumably shooting portraits of her) and I took advantage of that. She noticed me but now it seems like she was posing for me haha.

She was definitely posing for you my man! 😋

She was definitely posing for you my man! 😋

Funny thing is that just a couple of years ago I avoided having any person in my shots, I preferred waiting for a quiet moment. All my shots from that time look lonely and abandoned places (even cities that are famous for its crowds, like Rome).

But now I enjoy having people in the shot, I think they can add flavour to an otherwise flat image, and also they can give you some sense of scale.

A few days ago I visited Valencia for the first time. Of all the many interesting spots, City of Arts and Science was my favourite. A complex of diverse museums with futurist architecture surrounded by water. I spent almost 3 hours there and took 150+ shots. These are some of my favourites.

View attachment 46997

View attachment 47003

View attachment 46999

View attachment 47000

View attachment 47001

View attachment 47002

View attachment 47004

View attachment 47005

View attachment 47006

View attachment 47007
I really like this series of shots, the sixth is my favourite, looks like the bones of a fish and I love the blue sky in the background, makes the skeletal structure stand out.

I really like this series of shots, the sixth is my favourite, looks like the bones of a fish and I love the blue sky in the background, makes the skeletal structure stand out.

Thanks Ed! Yes I thought it reassembled some fish bones as well. It was an interesting construction from the inside, it felt really organic despite the futuristic looks. Shots 5 and 8 are from that same building.

Very nice. That first shot looks like Darth Vader in colour 😁

Very nice. That first shot looks like Darth Vader in colour 😁

Thank you Kev. Haha he's the Clearth Vader. I'm particularly fond of that shot, that's why I put it first. 😊

Thanks Ed! Yes I thought it reassembled some fish bones as well. It was an interesting construction from the inside, it felt really organic despite the futuristic looks. Shots 5 and 8 are from that same building.
These are all shot with a 40mm, I guess you cropped the photographs quite a bit?

Excellent set Alex!

These are all shot with a 40mm, I guess you cropped the photographs quite a bit?

Actually none of these pictures are cropped and except for the colour edition they are all just like I shot them with the 40mm.

As they say, my feet are my zoom. There are sometimes where I wish that I had a wider lens (shot 7 could have been less tight with a 24 or 35mm, as my position was limited because of a highway fence, the one that appears in shot 1) and sometimes I wish I could zoom in. But most of the time the 40mm covers my needs for street and travel.

Last edited:
These are great shots! You're really good with that 40mm prime lens, it inspires me to try more day trips with a single prime lens. Perhaps I can lighten my travel kit in the future...

These are great shots! You're really good with that 40mm prime lens, it inspires me to try more day trips with a single prime lens. Perhaps I can lighten my travel kit in the future...

Thanks for the feedback Chris. I was considering getting that 20-70 f4 they all are talking about as certainly I could benefit from the wide end and the compression at 70mm, but the more I use the 40mm the more I enjoy it.

Although it took some time to get used to it, this lens can be more versatile than it would seem at first. Sometimes it's quite a challenge to get a certain shot with the limitation of a fixed view but that's something that I enjoy, finding a way to get it.

Also I guess it all depend on your needs. For landscape, sports or wildlife it won't be a good option but for casual travel and street it's about perfect. Sometimes I think about the shots that I'm losing for not having a zoom lens, but then I think that I would lose many other shots if my kit wasn't as light and discreet as it is now.

Last edited:
Thanks for the feedback Chris. I was considering getting that 20-70 f4 they all are talking about as certainly I could benefit from the wide end and the compression at 70mm, but the more I use the 40mm the more I enjoy it.

It took some time to get used to it but it can be more versatile than it would seem at first. Sometimes it's quite a challenge to get a certain shot with the limitation of a fixed view but that's something that I enjoy, finding a way to get it.

Also I guess it all depend on your needs. For landscape, sports or wildlife it won't be a good option but for casual travel and street it's about perfect. Sometimes I think about the shots that I'm losing for not having a zoom lens, but then I think that I would lose many other shots if my kit wasn't as light and discreet as it is now.
I feel like I don't have the time to "slow down and enjoy the process of zooming with my feet" as I am often chasing after the child. However, I use that as an excuse too often, and I am enjoying your results with a single focal length. I have a 35mm (equivalent to 50mm on your full frame camera), perhaps I will start there, though I feel that it might be too tight.

I feel like I don't have the time to "slow down and enjoy the process of zooming with my feet" as I am often chasing after the child. However, I use that as an excuse too often, and I am enjoying your results with a single focal length. I have a 35mm (equivalent to 50mm on your full frame camera), perhaps I will start there, though I feel that it might be too tight.

That can be a fun training, to dedicate some shooting sessions to the 35mm and see how it suits you. Better practising now in an environment that you know well than during a travel. I'll keep an eye on your experiments haha.

Last edited:
Back